There are 162 users in the forums

Can we fix the OL thru FA?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by yung_prophet_one:
Everybody is stuck on mack...he's not coming here...he likes Cleveland and even if he did leave it would be for a rebuilding 9ers team??? Cmon guys be realistic here

And Cleveland is "rebuilt" and ready to goto playoffs ??

Of course not but he wouldn't leave one non-contender for another...u guys I would be happy if we got him...all I'm saying is chances r low
[ Edited by yung_prophet_one on Dec 13, 2015 at 6:38 PM ]
Please stop all the talk about Anthony Davis
Dude...I called him Jeff goeff...whoopty doo bro...hit the Blunt one 2 many times... Not a big deal really just a mistake...doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about... Mack has actually said he's happy to be back in Cleveland..now were those just words or did he mean it well never know but I don't think he's leaving Cleveland for us...he will go to a contender... Every team in the league will lineup to get the best center in the league its gona be an uphill battle tryna get him

Mack signed a contract with an opt out specifically so he could get out of Cleveland in 2 years when he was a restricted free agent.

Also, not every team has $10 million of cap space to allocate to a center. Most of the teams with that sort of cap space are pretty much in the same boat as the 49ers.

Your assurances are assumptions, I haven't seen or heard anything to indicate that Mack would not be available to the 49ers at the right price, as of right now there is no reason to think otherwise. As with any free agent there will be competition and as always, money talks. Make the right offer, particularly for a guy who is from California, and I think you have a shot.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 13, 2015 at 6:45 PM ]
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Absolutely. Bring in Alex Mack at center, insert Daniel Kilgore at RG. The draft is deep at tackle, so we can let a rookie (not a first rounder), Anthony Davis, and Trenton Brown battle for the right tackle position. That would leave Andrew Tiller, Brandon Thomas, and maybe another veteran guard that we sign in free agency battle for the LG position. Or we could sign Alex Boone. I'm thinking at worse, that should give us a middle of the pack O-line.

I like it. I still would not put too much stock into AD coming back better than ever, but as long as Pears isn't active on the Niners game days next year I'm good.

I like the idea of getting Mack the most because it would make the most impact. The line would go to a strength with one move, draft Staley's replacement.

Staley - Boone - Mack - Kilgore - A. Davis
Who the hell is Kilgore that everyone thinks he's the savior.
10 mill a year for a center??? Honestly Id pass on that...no matter how much salary cap we have doesn't mean we give 10 mill up to a center imo...hes been on a crappy team all his career... I think he would take a reasonable pay cut to play for a team like.....the patriots... Or Bengals they got a decent amount of cap....money does talk... But so does taking L's ur entire career lol
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Who the hell is Kilgore that everyone thinks he's the savior.

A solid center, which is an incredible upgrade over what they've had thus far this season and since he was injured.

He was the best performer on the OL last season before he went down with an injury. In the event that they did sign a guy like Mack or another FA C, he'd be an ideal candidate to put at RG.
Anthony Davis is clearly the better player, but you can't hand him the starting RT job after being a year out of football.
10 mill a year for a center??? Honestly Id pass on that...no matter how much salary cap we have doesn't mean we give 10 mill up to a center imo...hes been on a crappy team all his career... I think he would take a reasonable pay cut to play for a team like.....the patriots... Or Bengals they got a decent amount of cap....money does talk... But so does taking L's ur entire career lol

There is a minimum salary cap floor, Niners have to spend on something. I am sure a good chunk is for pass rush but everyone wants to sign that too. WR? QB?

Once again, no reason to believe that.

He'll get paid like a premium center because that is what he is. Considering how important C is to the integrity of the line, especially if they draft a young QB, it would be worth every penny for a team with over $50 mil in cap space.

With Mack at C and a draft pick like Spriggs or Haeg at RT, there could be substantial improvement in the OL. If you're going to invest in a QB with an early draft pick, you'd better be able to protect them.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 13, 2015 at 7:01 PM ]
Did you see what Mack's run blocking calls did to our dline? I noticed some holes up the middle of the line for their running backs.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Did you see what Mack's run blocking calls did to our dline? I noticed some holes up the middle of the line for their running backs.

I think Mack would be looking for a deal along the line of what Pouncey got with Pittsburgh. Maybe 5 years and 46 mil, 15-16 mil guaranteed.

With the amount of capspace they could frontload the heck out of the deal.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 13, 2015 at 7:04 PM ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Absolutely. Bring in Alex Mack at center, insert Daniel Kilgore at RG. The draft is deep at tackle, so we can let a rookie (not a first rounder), Anthony Davis, and Trenton Brown battle for the right tackle position. That would leave Andrew Tiller, Brandon Thomas, and maybe another veteran guard that we sign in free agency battle for the LG position. Or we could sign Alex Boone. I'm thinking at worse, that should give us a middle of the pack O-line.

I would love Alex Mack but if he opts out of his contract its to go to a winner and we ain't that.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

I think Mack would be looking for a deal along the line of what Pouncey got with Pittsburgh. Maybe 5 years and 46 mil, 15-16 mil guaranteed.

With the amount of capspace they could frontload the heck out of the deal.

I mean I hope we get em...obviously hes one of the best C in the game and C is the heart of the o line... I just think he wants to go to a team ready to sin..and that's not my opinion no facts behind it
Share 49ersWebzone