LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 306 users in the forums

Seattle Seahawks week 11 coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Love how Gabbert went after Sherman.

If Blaine Gabbert is attacking Sherman, Dick's days of dominance might be coming to an end lol

Yep, he wasn't afraid to throw his way, if Torrey catches that slant with Sherman covering him, he may have ran it in for a TD.
Thanks guys for all the info!
  • dj43
Originally posted by thl408:

Run defense was poor due to the crap tackling, but also poor edge contain, most notably by Brooks who kept trying to sidestep around his block instead taking it head on and trying to controlling his gap, and Brock. 49ers came with pretty soft coverage trying to keep things in front of them.

Agree. Brooks was uncharacteristically bad in that area. No aggressiveness in taking on blockers and maintaining freedom of his outside arm.

Lynch looked like he had never heard of outside containment. He often charged into the backfield and left the guy that was supposed to block him to run to the next level without even a challenge.

Overall there was so much wrong with the defense, much of it was uncharacteristically bad, that I would be tempted to just throw the film out and concentrate on AZ. No sense wasting time on a game this bad. If the defense was really this bad it would take a month to try to fix it all.
The TD drive had a few nice throws. Here is a good anticipation throw in the face of pressure.

Gabbert is crushed as soon as he releases. 3rd down converted.

Our previous QB AND/OR Alex Smith gets sacked on this one and all blame would have correctly been given to our OL. Gabbert's knowledge of the read and playbook along with his anticipation is miles ahead of Smith when he was here and galaxies ahead of Kap.
Originally posted by Joecool:
The TD drive had a few nice throws. Here is a good anticipation throw in the face of pressure.

Gabbert is crushed as soon as he releases. 3rd down converted.

Our previous QB AND/OR Alex Smith gets sacked on this one and all blame would have correctly been given to our OL. Gabbert's knowledge of the read and playbook along with his anticipation is miles ahead of Smith when he was here and galaxies ahead of Kap.

Great timing on the throw
We saw how the bomb to Ellington that just missed plays off of a concept the 49ers often run (three level flood). Here's another play where the 49ers play off of a tendency to try to trick SEA and hit a big play.

We've seen the 49ers run the Fade-Out concept often in the past. No doubt SEA has also seen it on film. Refer to the Concepts thread for details on Fade-Out combination.

Looks like an Out route by Celek. SEA is all over it.

Then Celek heads up field to go for the big play.

Pass overthrown. That's twice the 49ers have tried to hit a big play by running a variation of a frequently seen concept. I'm showing this because on the Vance TD catch, it finally pays off. I'll show that later.
One thing, I'm not sure the pass was overthrown, I think it's a landmark throw, so Gabbert is gonna throw to a spot. If you watch the play, Wagner holds celek, that's why the throw sails over him. On the broadcast you can hear celek scream to the refs that he was held and from the end zone camera you can see him get mad and gesture at the refs.
  • dj43
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Here's the 2nd play of the first drive in the 3rd QTR.

Sorry for the jumlbed looking play-art, it's a deep crossing concept, sort of, lol.

We run PA out of a "13" personnel. This draws the LB's up and it looks like a slide concept out of the gates.

Gabbert turns his head and keeps his head down the middle of the field. This is really important because it's what's going to draw all the defenders to that side of the field.

As Gabbert looks downfield you see the defenders react to that side. On the backside, our RB turns to receive a pass, this occupies the underneath flat defender on that side. With the corner trailing the TE it's going to open up that side of the field for Celek who's been hiding out.

With a defender running full speed at him, Gabbert delivers the ball downfield to Celek.

It's a completion for 33 yards. Gabbert did a really good job of waiting to look to that side until he had moved the defense with his head. That's something that we've needed against Seattle's zone defense.

This play shows that Chryst knows how to set up certain route concepts...at least on this play. It was much more involved than just "sneaking" a TE out of the pile.
Here's the 2nd play of the first drive in the 3rd QTR.

Sorry for the jumlbed looking play-art, it's a deep crossing concept, sort of, lol.

We run PA out of a "13" personnel. This draws the LB's up and it looks like a slide concept out of the gates.

Gabbert turns his head and keeps his head down the middle of the field. This is really important because it's what's going to draw all the defenders to that side of the field.

As Gabbert looks downfield you see the defenders react to that side. On the backside, our RB turns to receive a pass, this occupies the underneath flat defender on that side. With the corner trailing the TE it's going to open up that side of the field for Celek who's been hiding out.

With a defender running full speed at him, Gabbert delivers the ball downfield to Celek.

It's a completion for 33 yards. Gabbert did a really good job of waiting to look to that side until he had moved the defense with his head. That's something that we've needed against Seattle's zone defense.

Gabbert doing the little things to open up the play with a good play-action fake and where he looks downfield to throw off the defenders is fantastic to see.
  • thl408
This is way too many highlights for an ass kicking, but I wanted to finish this TD drive before touching on some more defensive gaffes. Here's the TD catch.

The 49ers look like they are running the Spot concept, but the Corner route is changed to a skinny Post (yellow) that hits the seam between the two deep zones. Red and orange's routes are exactly like how Spot is executed. This again plays off of offensive tendencies which is important when playing divisional opponents who are familiar with all the route combinations that other divisional teams like to run.
Versus Cover3
Vance's headfake is used to get the blue defender leaning the wrong way.

Everything looks like the Spot concept as Vance head fakes to the Corner route. The blue defender is in perfect position to defend a Corner route, but it's not a Corner route.

Gabbert starting to throw before Vance exits his break.

5 step timing with a hitch. By throwing before Vance completes his break, the middle safety can't react in time to Vance's route. Notice the blue defender reacting to Vance's head fake - it widens the seam.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by susweel:
Yah from the TV replay it looked like he had something. I think sometimes he's too quick to take the check down, he reminds me of another QB we had no to long ago. Throws mostly to the backs and TEs and rarely outside the numbers to the WRs. Im not sure what his arm strength is or his confidence in it or the offense in general.

I get the same feeling Sus.
You wanna see one where there's great anticipation not to a checkdown for a big gain? gotcha! And here's an example of how taking those checkdowns early can set up bigger plays - last weeks TD to Celek was another example, btw.

12:32 4th qtr.

This was probably his best throw of the day. We're going run a curls concept against a fire zone blitz. If you've followed these threads for the past couple seasons, you're used to seeing this concept against SEA.

we ran it a couple times earlier in the game as well. It creates a horizontal stretch of the underneath defenders.

You see the 5 man rush from Seattle - just some more confirmation that Sea never went "shell".

Gabbert keeps his head down the middle of the field on his dropback, looking first to the TE. He feels the outside rush and on his plant foot puts his hitch step in to take a step up in the pocket.

You see he's in his throwing motion - Boldin doesn't look anywhere near open. But, he recognizes the zone defense and anticipates Chancellor driving on the outside curl route.

You see how Chancellor breaks off for the outside curl, by keeping his head in the middle of the field he held Thomas off to create room for the seam.

Catch for a big gain.

You see him keeping his head down the middle of the field up to his plant step.

He steps up into the pocket, has great knee bend, good shoulder squaring and is in a prime throwing position.

Delivers the ball just about a foot infront of the numbers to Boldin.

This is one reason why I seem to goosh over the guy right now. That's a pretty darn good play. I'm really liking what I'm seeing. I just hope he continues to play like this. If so, we got a pretty good QB.

Lots of good things to see in this clip. One of them is how Tiller sealed off his area 1-on-1. He has definitely put Devey on the bench. AT's PFF grade on protection has climbed to a very respectable 77. That gives hope that we may not be quite as needy as we felt we were a few weeks ago.

• dj43
Later on the drive is that very tight throw to Boldin.
All Curls vs Cover3
Blue are deep zones.

I recall Ronde Barber gushing about what a great, gutsy throw this was. Gabbert drops back, plants his foot, and guns the ball. Shows confidence and a strong arm as he did not have time to actually step up into the throw. Nice!

5 step timing with a hitch. By throwing before Vance completes his break, the middle safety can't react in time to Vance's route. Notice the blue defender reacting to Vance's head fake - it widens the seam.

Hmm, 5 step drop? But but...those take more than 3 seconds. How long was this from snap to release? We are finally passing like an NFL team. Long way to go but man have we been f**ken so far behind for 10 years now.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 24, 2015 at 3:08 PM ]
Will have to reread when I back at my computer, but I appreciate Johnny and Thl pointing out positives!

Hope the defensive lethargy is not a distrust of the DC and his schemes!
Here's another example of how Gabbert and our receivers were just a little out of sync. This is a few plays after the Celek catch.

We're going to run a slant/flat against man coverage. Think back to the Rams game and how I showed Kaep put this throw to the slat route against man-coverage and how TS was open.

we run a slight PA to suck up the LB. Gabbert reads the inside defender, who moves out on the flat route. So, he's going to look to hit TS on the slant.

he's set and ready to throw.

Right when he releases the ball, TS breaks his slant off more horizontal. You see the yellow line is how he breaks it off. The red is where he was running. I think Gab doesn't expect him to break it off more horizontal.

You see how TS didn't move any further downfield, so the pass looks overthrown. It's just a situation of a Qb and receiver not being on the same page not necessarily a bad throw. It's the proper read though, which is good considering we had weeks of wrong reads of the slant/flat concept....not to ruffle feathers.

Love your work, dude!

Just putting this out there: Greg Cosell of NFL films said on KNBR yesterday, that this play is on Gabbert. He said Gabbert has to make these "easy" throws.
This is way too many highlights for an ass kicking, but I wanted to finish this TD drive before touching on some more defensive gaffes. Here's the TD catch.

The 49ers look like they are running the Spot concept, but the Corner route is changed to a skinny Post (yellow) that hits the seam between the two deep zones. Red and orange's routes are exactly like how Spot is executed. This again plays off of offensive tendencies which is important when playing divisional opponents who are familiar with all the route combinations that other divisional teams like to run.
Versus Cover3
Vance's headfake is used to get the blue defender leaning the wrong way.

Everything looks like the Spot concept as Vance head fakes to the Corner route. The blue defender is in perfect position to defend a Corner route, but it's not a Corner route.

Gabbert starting to throw before Vance exits his break.

I like the little wrinkle Geep added to this play. It's very similar to the TD scored vs ATL.

Vs ATL we had the little nod/skinny with a snag/whip underneath. Well vs Seattle we had a similar setup but added that flat route to give the spot look. Very nice play and building upon other plays we've ran.
Share 49ersWebzone