There are 257 users in the forums

Remember when we were an offensive focused team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by socalniner:
Long time ago bruh....

So sad
Originally posted by tohara3:
So sad

why sad ? I enjoy winning with defense far more than winning with an offense. nothing wrong with that
Originally posted by defenderDX:
That's too bad. You might learn a thing or two.

What his offense faltered at was just the rhythm and flow of play-calling. The fact that we had our WR's coach calling the passing plays, OC calling the running plays, and QB's coach calling the Redzone plays was the main culprit of that. I wanted Adam Gase. He wanted Fangio. Instead we get Jim Tomsula and Geep and Mangini.

It was time to move on, but settling for what we settled on makes me want Roman and company back. Everyone called Roman's offense "simple" and "bland" and "vanilla". All wrong. Flat out wrong. what we have NOW is just that. All this tempo and play clock management doesn't mean s**t if we can't keep the defense on it's heels and execute...

Romans offense is simple bland and vanilla. I just watched the Giants game. Taylor had like 80 yards at halftime. He's the same old power run game play action guy he always was. Giants didn't let Bills burn them with the few deep shots they took like the other teams did and Bills had no answer.

When was Roman keeping defenses on their heels other then with the read option? We were consistently in the bottom half in drive efficiency. Bad in redzone. Bad on 3rd downs till Kap came with his legs. Offense was actually productive for a whole 10 game stretch in 2012. Not good enough. It was never a WCO.

I wanted Gase too because he actually can call a pass game. You know that rhythm stuff is actually super important. But didn't get him so now it's about what to do going forward not lamenting a staff that is gone. We can do better than them. But that's up to Jed to let Trent make it happen.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
why sad ? I enjoy winning with defense far more than winning with an offense. nothing wrong with that

It's not either/or. Should strive for both.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

What his offense faltered at was just the rhythm and flow of play-calling. The fact that we had our WR's coach calling the passing plays, OC calling the running plays, and QB's coach calling the Redzone plays was the main culprit of that. I wanted Adam Gase. He wanted Fangio. Instead we get Jim Tomsula and Geep and Mangini.

It was time to move on, but settling for what we settled on makes me want Roman and company back. Everyone called Roman's offense "simple" and "bland" and "vanilla". All wrong. Flat out wrong. what we have NOW is just that. All this tempo and play clock management doesn't mean s**t if we can't keep the defense on it's heels and execute...

Romans offense is simple bland and vanilla. I just watched the Giants game. Taylor had like 80 yards at halftime. He's the same old power run game play action guy he always was. Giants didn't let Bills burn them with the few deep shots they took like the other teams did and Bills had no answer.

When was Roman keeping defenses on their heels other then with the read option? We were consistently in the bottom half in drive efficiency. Bad in redzone. Bad on 3rd downs till Kap came with his legs. Offense was actually productive for a whole 10 game stretch in 2012. Not good enough. It was never a WCO.

I wanted Gase too because he actually can call a pass game. You know that rhythm stuff is actually super important. But didn't get him so now it's about what to do going forward not lamenting a staff that is gone. We can do better than them. But that's up to Jed to let Trent make it happen.

Roman's offense (with us) was NOT simple bland and vanilla. The offense we have NOW is. it's a freaking college/high school esque offense it feels like we're running. The concepts we used in his offense were nothing but. You are completely delusional if that's what you think.

What Roman DIDN'T do was stick with what worked. And would get too cute or get away from the efficiency a WCO has. Go back and watch the bears game of 2012. defense on their heels. many west coast things.

we can do way better than what we have now, but let's not just spew out nonsense that isn't true.

What I wanted was Harbs as HC
And a guy like Marty morenigwheg as OC (WCO guy versed in the Holmgren/Reid version and experience working with running QB....his time with Vick in philly intrigued me he was QB coach and OC when Vick had his finest season in 2010). I know Marty flamed out as a HC, but he's been a really good OC in the NFL. Hell, I would have also loved Roman as a run game coordinator. Something like this could have been special.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 5, 2015 at 6:14 PM ]
Roman's offense (with us) was NOT simple bland and vanilla. The offense we have NOW is. it's a freaking college/high school esque offense it feels like we're running. The concepts we used in his offense were nothing but. You are completely delusional if that's what you think.

What Roman DIDN'T do was stick with what worked. And would get too cute or get away from the efficiency a WCO has. Go back and watch the bears game of 2012. defense on their heels. many west coast things.

we can do way better than what we have now, but let's not just spew out nonsense that isn't true.

You are the delusional one. Watch Colts game in 2013. Panthers in 2013. Falcons in 2013. Rams in 2014. That is not putting anyone on their heels. Nothing in 2011 had people on their heels either. The read option was the only thing that had people confused. Once that went away so did the offense effectiveness. Craig Dahl said the same things Matthieu is saying 3 years ago. Guys on opposing defenses can easily diagnose our stuff. Been true for years in the pass game.
Originally posted by Niners816:
What I wanted was Harbs as HC
And a guy like Marty morenigwheg as OC (WCO guy versed in the Holmgren/Reid version and experience working with running QB....his time with Vick in philly intrigued me he was QB coach and OC when Vick had his finest season in 2010). I know Marty flamed out as a HC, but he's been a really good OC in the NFL. Hell, I would have also loved Roman as a run game coordinator. Something like this could have been special.

Would've been nice but with Harbaugh having final say I don't think Marty would've enjoyed that.
It's not either/or. Should strive for both.

and I should strive for banging hot models every day and also a happy marriage with kids. sounds legit.

You are the delusional one. Watch Colts game in 2013. Panthers in 2013. Falcons in 2013. Rams in 2014. That is not putting anyone on their heels. Nothing in 2011 had people on their heels either. The read option was the only thing that had people confused. Once that went away so did the offense effectiveness. Craig Dahl said the same things Matthieu is saying 3 years ago. Guys on opposing defenses can easily diagnose our stuff. Been true for years in the pass game.

You are the delusional one refusing to look at proof that our offense was NOT "bland" and "simple". Our passing game didn't mesh, didn't flow thanks to play calling rhythm and pattern. That's different than having a scheme that wasn't*** good enough and innovative. Different than what we're seeing now... what we have now is remedial.
[ Edited by defenderDX on Oct 5, 2015 at 6:29 PM ]

You are the delusional one refusing to look at proof that our offense was NOT "bland" and "simple". Our passing game didn't mesh, didn't flow thanks to play calling rhythm and pattern. That's different than having a scheme that wasn't*** good enough and innovative. Different than what we're seeing now... what we have now is remedial.

It's the same offense. They just took away verbiage.

Guess Craig Dahl was just really smart to figure things out.

It's the same offense. They just took away verbiage.

Guess Craig Dahl was just really smart to figure things out.

same offense?!?

we're in the shotgun almost 100% of the time when passing. I can't recall Kap dropping back doing a 3-step or 5-step drop ONCE. I've heard it all now. we also run a ZBS scheme, did you know that too? Did you know we ran a power scheme with Roman?

that's just a small example of fact and how wrong you are. I rest my case.
[ Edited by defenderDX on Oct 5, 2015 at 6:36 PM ]
same offense?!?

we're in the shotgun almost 100% of the time when passing. I can't recall Kap dropping back doing a 3-step or 5-step drop ONCE. I've heard it all now. we also run a ZBS scheme, did you know that too? Did you know we ran a power scheme with Roman?

Talking about the passing game are we not? Obviously the run game is different.

Where was the pistol option with great WCO concepts being run from exactly? Under center?
same offense?!?

Talking about the passing game are we not? Obviously the run game is different.

Where was the pistol option with great WCO concepts being run from exactly? Under center?

you can look for yourself. forget our differing opinions, this is good stuff I'm sharing with you.

http://jameslightfootball.com/2015/04/04/jim-harbaughs-passing-concepts-part-1/

but you dont want to listen. yes we are talking about the passing game, but you literally called the offenses the same. That generalizes both run and pass. Have you seen Kap take a 3-step or 5-step drop in Geep's offense from under center? He did that WAY more in Roman/Harbaugh's offense. I literally cannot recall him doing so in this season.
yes! we need to be a West Coast Systems team.. throw the ball 30-40 times a game.. we need to be dynamic like the Packers and Patriots..
Share 49ersWebzone