LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 166 users in the forums

Trading for an OLB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
What team in their right mind would be willing to trade a QUALITY OLB? Not a snowballs chance unless we give Kap or Staley...

OLB is arguably they second most important position on field.

Good question. Answer: The Seahawks. Latest word is that they may trade Irvin to the Falcons.

http://nfltraderumors.co/seahawks-could-trade-olb-bruce-irvin-to-falcons/
If Baalke acquired Irvin from the seagulls, we would all scream at the overpayment in assets used to acquire him. No way SEA trades him to SF without asking for an arm and both legs.

Great, they'll trade him to the Falcons and then the Falcons will trade him to us!

Noe that would really piss off Seattle - let's do it!
Assuming you guys want a proven, productive OLB to trade for, I don't see any reason why another team would give up such a player. They're trying to win games this year too.

Maybe we could have gotten something done before the draft, but not now. Rosters are mostly set. Only guys we can trade for are end of the roster types, can probably be had for a 7th rd pick, or swap camp bodies like we did with Cleveland/Devey.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 27, 2015 at 2:53 PM ]
You have to wait till the cut down date-you will never get a player in a trade that is good, they are hard to come by. If they give one up it will be either an unproven guy or a vet on the downside. Why waste a draft pick that might turn into a Lynch or possibly other.

Originally posted by Hitman49:
No way teams will deal starting caliber pass rushers...you can never have too much of them on the roster...we just have to play with who we got...

Right! There is no possible way a team like the Chargers would trade a top-flight pass rusher like Fred Dean to the Niners. It just doesn't happen!

Fred Dean wanted more money and some other things and back then keeping track of the stat of sacks was just beginning. Bill Walsh was really innovative. If I recall, the chargers thought he was a headache and had someone in place to replace him. He was like Charles Haley for us. Also, back then, there was no such thing as cap hit.
Id keep a eye out on a guy like Cam Johnson who we traded for a 7th rounder. He's on the bubble in indy because of the trent cole signing. He knows the system and could provide decent depth.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Id keep a eye out on a guy like Cam Johnson who we traded for a 7th rounder. He's on the bubble in indy because of the trent cole signing. He knows the system and could provide decent depth.

Wouldn't mind bringing him back if he's waived. Hasn't done anything in the league, but he's familiar with this team and had some talent.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by natrone06:

Wouldn't mind bringing him back if he's waived. Hasn't done anything in the league, but he's familiar with this team and had some talent.

i think i would be more ok if we brought in a vet along with cam ,IF it comes to that.one of those vets like briggs could be valuable if only brought in on certain downs. i am sure the team is willing to let our currently players play this weekend and maybe even next weekend before they make some sort of a roster move in the linebacker area,, IF brooks gets the ax.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Assuming you guys want a proven, productive OLB to trade for, I don't see any reason why another team would give up such a player. They're trying to win games this year too.

Maybe we could have gotten something done before the draft, but not now. Rosters are mostly set. Only guys we can trade for are end of the roster types, can probably be had for a 7th rd pick, or swap camp bodies like we did with Cleveland/Devey.

I think this is where Trent and Gamble really have to understand potential, be not just on the same page, but on the same sentence with Mangini and all the other position coaches, possibly find a role player who does just one thing well and make sure he rotates in on that scheme (strength).

i would not be shocked if they were having meetings right now discussing these exact things. i know some thing they are morons , but i feel they do have a strategy if things go south with brooks and he has to be cut
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Are there any 3-4 OLB's out there you guys feel we should make a deal for? ....and what would you trade to get him?

would we trade a 3rd or possibly even a 2nd round pick to acquire an OLB that can come in and start from day one?

IMO we might have to look for a trade partner and deal for an OLB before opening day, or do you feel we should put our trust in Harold, Lemon, Rush and Lemonier?

thoughts?

What about Lynch? Or are you thinking the other olb spot?

I think this is where Trent and Gamble really have to understand potential, be not just on the same page, but on the same sentence with Mangini and all the other position coaches, possibly find a role player who does just one thing well and make sure he rotates in on that scheme (strength).

Agree, I think that's the identity of the defense this year. Less of a reliance on 3 down players in the front 7. The only guys who fit that description are Bowman and Lynch. Other than that, we've got a healthy rotation. Everybody filling a specific role in base, nickel, dime, etc..with plenty of deception in coverage and blitz packages. We're going to need it after losing some talented studs in the front 7.

Trading for an OLB would be a huge mistake IMO. Go with Lynch, Lemon & Harold & draft one next year if need be.
Is Lance Briggs still available? At this point, the pickin's are slim. Let's hope Eli Harold blows up and turns into the second coming of Aldon.

I'd be down with Briggs.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Trading for an OLB would be a huge mistake IMO. Go with Lynch, Lemon & Harold & draft one next year if need be.

Don't worry, nobody is going to trade us a OLB of value at this stage. We'll roll with what we got.

We'll have to reload at the position in next year's draft.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
I'd be down with Briggs.

Briggs is not an OLB in the 3-4. The guy is pretty much over the hill anyways, Fangio didn't want him to play ILB in his defense, why would the 49ers want a guy with 15 career sacks to play on the edge for them. He's a Cover 2 OLB, not a system fit in the slightest on the outside.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

Don't worry, nobody is going to trade us a OLB of value at this stage. We'll roll with what we got.

We'll have to reload at the position in next year's draft.

Originally posted by cciowa:
i would not be shocked if they were having meetings right now discussing these exact things. i know some thing they are morons , but i feel they do have a strategy if things go south with brooks and he has to be cut

cciowa - I think you meant these guys aren't morons - but I hear you though. Mangini is not going to go down that easily. I'm sure they're planning a way out.

Sofaking - Maybe not a trade, but I believe I read Beerows say that Elway and Baalke met for dinner and talked about how they could possibly help each other. Despite what's posted ad nauseum here, Baalke has friends and is influential throughout the league. 49ers are known as pretty good trading partners... If they ID someone, I have all the confidence in the world Baalke and Gamble will pull the trigger..... unless the coaches are saying we'll be okay.

You CAN win with a "role player" defense. The Patriots have been doing it repeatedly for years.
our friend phoenix said in the free agent thread,, if you wait and sign someone like freeney after week one, you could cut him anytime and not be on the hook for his entire salary, unlike if you went and signed him now. depending on how this thing goes with brooks,, wonder if that could be a piece of the pie. i have always said people like he and briggs will still be around in two weeks, IF that is how the team wants to roll, IF brooks gets the ax and IF current players do not play as well in the next two weeks as the coaches want them to. lotta IFs there
Share 49ersWebzone