LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 200 users in the forums

2016 Free Agency and the 2015 Salary Cap.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was just checking out the salary cap for next year and we currently have $40,731,082 according to over the cap (that's with 150 million as the cap...might be more).

If we move on from Kap,Brooks,Bethea,Pears,and Bellore we'd have a little over $ 70 million in cap space (less if Davis comes back)

I could be way off and was wondering if that sounds about right?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I don't understand why Brooks' name is often mentioned when a player must be let go.. he's still is the best pass rusher on the team.. Lynch, as good as he is, just can't get his motor running for the entire game..

I rather see Bethea, Reid and Staley goe before Brooks..
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 9moon:
I don't understand why Brooks' name is often mentioned when a player must be let go.. he's still is the best pass rusher on the team.. Lynch, as good as he is, just can't get his motor running for the entire game..

Why do they need to dump anyone we have big salary cap room. We need to be adding players not letting anyone go.

What are you talking about??? currently among edge defenders on PFF he ranks 140th in pass rushing and next season to this point he will be the 5th highest paid OLB at almost $10 million!

Lynch has constantly been around the QB, have you not been watching the football games this year You know Lynch is #59 and Brooks is #55 maybe you have them confused or something.
Originally posted by susweel:

Why do they need to dump anyone we have big salary cap room. We need to be adding players not letting anyone go.

You don't pay Brooks almost $10 million to play like he has the past two seasons,Tartt is the new starting SS not Bethea, Pears almost has no dead money and has been awful take that extra $2 million an put it towards a player that can actually play.

It's not the point in getting rid of players, it's the point of using all that money wisely and getting rid of bloated contracts (with not much dead money) and putting it elsewhere. Hows that hard to understand?
Originally posted by NYniner85:

You don't pay Brooks almost $10 million to play like he has the past two seasons,Tartt is the new starting SS not Bethea, Pears almost has no dead money and has been awful take that extra $2 million an put it towards a player that can actually play.

It's not the point in getting rid of players, it's the point of using all that money wisely and getting rid of bloated contracts (with not much dead money) and putting it elsewhere. Hows that hard to understand?

Brooks definitely needs to re-do his deal if he wants to stay aboard , 10 million to keep him next year?? ...that's not going to happen , way too much cake for a mediocre OLB that hasn't produced much this season
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
Well if Gab plays well and we put together a winning second half of the season effort, we might entice some players.

TRUE

Wow takes a New Yorker to see things straight :)
I was just checking out the salary cap for next year and we currently have $40,731,082 according to over the cap (that's with 150 million as the cap...might be more).

If we move on from Kap,Brooks,Bethea,Pears,and Bellore we'd have a little over $ 70 million in cap space (less if Davis comes back)

Per AB..."Right now we would be $42,923,584 under a $153M cap."

And here's more: http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/12/8/9854742/49ers-salary-cap-2016-projected-cap-roster-bonuses-potential-cut

So basically, we're the youngest team with a ton of money. I wonder who has the most cap space next year.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 10, 2015 at 6:20 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

And here's more: http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/12/8/9854742/49ers-salary-cap-2016-projected-cap-roster-bonuses-potential-cut

So basically, we're the youngest team with a ton of money. I wonder who has the most cap space next year.

Great work! We should be able to have a great off-season to reload & rebuild this young team on both sides of the ball in a hurry as long as it is done wisely! Go 49ers!

Originally posted by donalddole:
Wow takes a New Yorker to see things straight :)

HA
Originally posted by NCommand:

And that's without removing kap, brooks, pears, and bethea'a cap space too that's a lot of cheddar to make some moves!
cutting brooks should be easy, get rid of an aging malcontent and free up over $6 million. I'd also part with Bethea and gives the reigns to Tartt full time. This will give us more funds to chase some big free agents in their prime (like torrey smith).
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
cutting brooks should be easy, get rid of an aging malcontent and free up over $6 million. I'd also part with Bethea and gives the reigns to Tartt full time. This will give us more funds to chase some big free agents in their prime (like torrey smith).

I'd keep Brooks and restructure his contract. Bethea I agree with, 49ers are good without him, Ward and Tartt is the future.
Brooks also has that sexual battery thing that hasn't been resolved, correct? That's in addition to his antics the past couple of seasons (taking himself out of games, etc.) and declining performance.
Share 49ersWebzone