There are 169 users in the forums

Who's going to be our #3

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's going to be our #3

Jerome seems to me as the best talent of the 3 but would take away important play time for either Ellington or Patton.

Quinton wants it the most as it seems and it's flashed on the field from time to time but lacks the agility/elusiveness you want to see from the slot.

Bruce is just one year in with little to no playing time but fits the slot postion perfectly at 5'9 being shifty with a quick step acceleration.

I'm pulling for Patton but feel that Simpson has better traits for the slot.
I think the more important question should be who is going to be our third qb?
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I think the more important question should be who is going to be our third qb?

I actually thought that's what this thread was gonna be. lol
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Thought this was interesting. Don't know much about the guy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2479599-san-francisco-49ers-5-rookies-primed-for-biggest-impact-in-2015/page/6
It's Pattons time to shine, although I wouldn't be shocked if Ellington leap frogs him
Technically our #3 would be Ellington
If Simpson makes the team..then that's his spot to lose
  • thl408
The #3 WR may not necessarily be the slot WR. Boldin makes a killing in the slot and could be the primary slot WR when the 49ers go 3WR. The #3 WR would be lined up wide as the Flanker (Y) while Torrey Smith will hold down the split end (X) position, with Boldin in the slot. If this holds true, I see the competition being between Simpson and Patton.

Then again, Geep could go in a completely different direction with how Boldin is used.
Usually when people think #3 WR, they think slot WR. Our primary slot WR the past 2 seasons has been Boldin. He's been highly productive in that role, and that should stay the same. The #3 WR should be the best outside threat, when Boldin shifts to the slot in 3 WR sets.

I'll go with Patton. He's getting rave reviews from camp. He put extra work in with Kap during the off-season to build chemistry. This is his opportunity, it's now or never for him.

Originally posted by thl408:
The #3 WR may not necessarily be the slot WR. Boldin makes a killing in the slot and could be the primary slot WR when the 49ers go 3WR. The #3 WR would be lined up wide as the Flanker (Y) while Torrey Smith will hold down the split end (X) position, with Boldin in the slot. If this holds true, I see the competition being between Simpson and Patton.

Then again, Geep could go in a completely different direction with how Boldin is used.

Exactly. Beat me to it.
Originally posted by thl408:

In that case it's gotta be QP he's best on the outside as a possession WR
  • thl408
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Usually when people think #3 WR, they think slot WR. Our primary slot WR the past 2 seasons has been Boldin. He's been highly productive in that role, and that should stay the same. The #3 WR should be the best outside threat, when Boldin shifts to the slot in 3 WR sets.

I'll go with Patton. He's getting rave reviews from camp. He put extra work in with Kap during the off-season to build chemistry. This is his opportunity, it's now or never for him.

Right on. I voted Patton as well. Part of it because I don't know much about Simpson other than he did a somersault into the endzone and stuck the landing. I'm rooting for Patton and I know Kap is too since they seem like buddies. But pre-camp, pre preseason, who knows. Let the best man win.

Another scenario that I wouldn't mind is if Ellington shines so bright that they have to get snaps for him. In which case Boldin can remain the Y and Ellington comes in as the slot WR.
Patton has not had any reps the entire time he has been here. Ellington flashed electricity but in his one year not enough reps to say he's better than Patton. Simpson could be the best of the lot. Looks like jobs will be on the line come training camp.
I'm hoping for both Patton and Ellington getting time
Share 49ersWebzone