LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 331 users in the forums

Dres Anderson Watch

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jiks
First and foremost, I am and have been a Utah Utes season ticket holder since I can remember so admittedly, there may be some biased here. I was listening to the 49ers podcast and they were saying that Dres was right up there with Patton and VD as having the most catches in practice. I understand that this guy was an UDFA but I feel there are two main components to why he dropped so low. I will get into that here in a bit.

Now I'm not sitting here saying he is going to come in and make the team, but I feel he has at the very least a great shot at PS. He can run crisp routes, he can find open holes in zones, he can go deep, and he can adjust really well while the ball is in the air. What is made him drop was A) his inabilty to catch the easy passes. As I said he can catch the incredibly hard catches, but he too often would look up field on the easy ones and flat out drop them. As a Ute fan this was at times infuriating because he has so much potential, but failed at the easiest part of his job. IMO this is something that can be fixed though. B) He suffered a mid season ending knee injury. I know we have enough injury players, but he is back at full speed now so this shouldn't be an issue.

Ohhh and keep in mind another reason he may have slipped is having the worst QB in the Pac 12 statistic wise. Utah's QB's have been a turn style of inconsistency and awful play. I'm curious to see what he can display with even a half decent QB.

Here are some quotes online and his highlights. Again, I'm not saying he's the GOAT but I do think he has a good shot at being one the 5th or 6th(if we keep 6) receiver.

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports that there's a perception Utah WR Dres Anderson "will be under-drafted and had second-round potential had he been able to finish the year."

If Utah senior WR Dres Anderson can run an impressive forty time at his pro day, he "might be able to creep back into that top-100 picture," according to CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.

STRENGTHS Good definition through upper body. Long legs that eat up space downfield. Good enough with downfield route-running. Possesses eye-catching second gear to separate in space. Plays bigger than listed size. Aggressive, effective run blocker. Doesn't fear the middle of the field. Adjusts well to low throws. Creates additional space with smart hand usage at top of routes. Can throttle down and get feet down near sideline. High-pointer with necessary body control. Will adjust routes to benefit quarterback. Has feel to negotiate traffic after the catch. NFL bloodlines. Father "Flipper" Anderson played for 10 years as an NFL WR.

[ Edited by JiksJuicy on May 23, 2015 at 2:49 PM ]
He needs some coaching but I wouldn't bet against him making it. That would please his old man! Sorry Flipper!!
I think he's got the best shot at making the roster out of all the UDFA's that the 49ers have signed. Underrated prospect and potentially a good quality deep threat in the NFL.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 23, 2015 at 3:27 PM ]
follows me on snapchat. We chat. Awesome dooood
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Zachary:

Great point as well. Great character guy.
Originally posted by Zachary:

Dick pics?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think he's got the best shot at making the roster out of all the UDFA's that the 49ers have signed. Underrated prospect and potentially a good quality deep threat in the NFL.

I think so too, I also hope and think Marcus Rush has a pretty good shot at sticking too now that Skuta and Chase Thomas aren't here.
If we roll with 6 WR's and assuming Smelter goes on the injured list, I hope Anderson makes it.
McCray for this year.
It makes much more sense to keep Dres Anderson on the roster over Jerome Simpson if they play on par with each other in the pre-season and TC. Anderson not only has more potential, but you probably won't be able to get him to your PS if he's proven he's over the injury. Some team would take him if they had him graded as a 2nd-4th without it.

Simpson, with all his off-field trouble and no guaranteed money? An easy cut that can be brought back in an emergency if needed. Right now, the only way I'd want Simpson on the team is if we kept 6. Don't want him taking a roster spot of a young player that could be developing into something special. Simpson has had plenty of chances already.

Love this dudes game, hoping for Anderson and Davis to make the team. Sorry J.Simpson
The Future: Patton,Ellington,Smelter,D. Davis,Anderson. Add T.Smith
He has definitely piqued my interest. I'm looking forward to seeing if he can become a contributor.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It makes much more sense to keep Dres Anderson on the roster over Jerome Simpson if they play on par with each other in the pre-season and TC. Anderson not only has more potential, but you probably won't be able to get him to your PS if he's proven he's over the injury. Some team would take him if they had him graded as a 2nd-4th without it.

Simpson, with all his off-field trouble and no guaranteed money? An easy cut that can be brought back in an emergency if needed. Right now, the only way I'd want Simpson on the team is if we kept 6. Don't want him taking a roster spot of a young player that could be developing into something special. Simpson has had plenty of chances already.

Co-signed.

Tired of half measures and short term veteran stopgaps, I want to see this team develop some WRs.
Thanks for the first hand perspective, he'll definitely be on my watch-list come training camp.
I think he got the most guaranteed cash out of all the UDFA that alone makes him at the very least a PS guy...the issue is if he is healthy (sounds like he's close to it) I'm guessing he gets plucked off the PS. Like others have said I'd rather have him over Simpson IMO....not sure either player has ST value?
Share 49ersWebzone