LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 137 users in the forums

Joe Montana Legacy Secured

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LVJay:
When you want to get to the SB, you want a solid chance of getting there. Call the GOAT (Brady)!

When you want a guaranteed win in the SB (in case you face a Manning type or maybe you just don't want to risk it in overtime). Call the SB GOAT (Montana)!!

Guaranteed >>> solid chance...

/Thread #NuffSaid #

Are we talking about GOAT in the SB or GOAT ever?

I'd love for one person to explain to me how in any logical way does only going to 4 is better than going to 7???

Are we going to pretend that Joe never lost a playoff game? There's no question Joe was the best SB performer ever and nobody can argue that but losing earlier in the playoffs is worse than losing in the SB. Can't just pretend those years didn't happen. If Joe made it to three more SBs we have no idea if he wins those games.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natediaz:
got gifted a sb from his game manager mode and tuck rule - the birth of the mystique is more like it.

Playing against a gimpy Owens and almost losing - there's no such thing as almost losing. i don't remember pats almost losing that game. pats were up by 24-14.

I fail to understand why some of you can't appreciate greatness.

Oh, my dear boy, you're back...

Cool cause I'm refreshed and ready for my daily circle jerk in which I have already received (and more to come, I'm sure) L0L....

1. Yes, it was the "birth" of something awesome, no doubt about it. Having said that tho, I haven't really seen many QBs get gifted that rule lately. Yes it was "gifted" ... the Raiders were truly hated by the league back then when Al was still alive (didn't bother me since I don't care for rthe Raiders).

Some guys can't even get gifted the right call, let alone a "Tuck" ... If you take a look at Matt Ryan's arm in the last SB, you'll notice that his arm was moving forward and the ball even went forward some (not backwards), and yet, he couldn't even get gifted the proper call on that (incomplete pass / not a fumble).

2. Are you aware of Donovan McChoke throwing up on the sidelines and he also gifted the Pat's offense / Brady by throwing 3 of his own interceptions in that SB. Finally, the Eagles offense got going a lil too late and the D helped out. In the end, it was a 3 point game that depended on AV's field goal to seal the deal.

3. "I fail to understand why some of you can't appreciate greatness." .... My sentiments exactly!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
When you want to get to the SB, you want a solid chance of getting there. Call the GOAT (Brady)!

When you want a guaranteed win in the SB (in case you face a Manning type or maybe you just don't want to risk it in overtime). Call the SB GOAT (Montana)!!

Guaranteed >>> solid chance...

/Thread #NuffSaid #

Are we talking about GOAT in the SB or GOAT ever?

I'd love for one person to explain to me how in any logical way does only going to 4 is better than going to 7???

Are we going to pretend that Joe never lost a playoff game? There's no question Joe was the best SB performer ever and nobody can argue that but losing earlier in the playoffs is worse than losing in the SB. Can't just pretend those years didn't happen. If Joe made it to three more SBs we have no idea if he wins those games.

Good points, and finally, someone who isn't going to circle jerk me around L0L...

TBH, I'm not really sure how all this came about and/or what his "Legacy" truly means to some in here, but.......

I can see the greatness in both QBs and realize that Brady has accomplished more (he has been in the league longer than Joe as well).

I can only imagine what Walsh / Montana would have accomplished had they stuck together as long as BB / Brady or what Joe could've done if he was fortunate enough to stay in the game as long as Brady (too bad he was into cocaine and wasn't as healthy / durable).

About him being in 7 SBs... I can't say that he would've lost any of those because I can only go by his record / ability in the proof of his game in the 4 he won. He never threw an INT, he won them all in regulation and he never choked. Why would I imagine him losing if he were to play 3 more?

"Are we going to pretend that Joe never lost a playoff game?" ... Whoever is pretending (it was never me) is in denial. Also, anyone pretending that Brady didn't have his fare share of losing in the playoffs is also in denial.
Originally posted by natediaz:
here's a random poll i've found. as of today with total 94 votes -
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=585691

brady 58%.
montana 12%
peyton manning 8%

i assume if we do the national poll with 1000+ people would yield same results. if montana had impeccable 23-0 record in the playoffs then your argument has a merit. but he did lose games in the playoffs. and he doesn't have enough sample size in the SB compared to brady anymore. 4-0 isn't 7-0. it's not a fair argument because brady got to the SB more, so he had 3 more chances of failure.

Who cares what a bunch of 8 year olds think.

What do you mean his sample size is lacking? He went to the super bowl four times, won four.

The odds of winning 4 out of 4 are 6%.

The odds of winning 5 out 7 about 16%

So, thats why people still think of Joe.

but but thoats a 1980s 6% thats not on 2017 steroids....so its not as good....and 16% is better than six anyway....right?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Who cares what a bunch of 8 year olds think.

What do you mean his sample size is lacking? He went to the super bowl four times, won four.

The odds of winning 4 out of 4 are 6%.

The odds of winning 5 out 7 about 16%

So, thats why people still think of Joe.

but but thoats a 1980s 6% thats not on 2017 steroids....so its not as good....and 16% is better than six anyway....right?

I have to agree... I guess you're getting your daily dose of circle jerking as well
...Oh, and the odds of going 23-0 are 0.00000011920928955078125%

Thanks for making that the precondition for listening to our arguments.

Did Mississippi hire you to fill jellybean jars?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I have to agree... I guess you're getting your daily dose of circle jerking as well

I know right, this is getting clinical. Some of these people really need help. The arguments they make are utterly ridiculous. Montana won four Super Bowl's in way less time than Brady. What the hell More do you guys want? And he won in dominating fashion. Did not choke or lose. I would rather be 4 wins zero losses than five wins and two losses. Damn. At least this is good entertainment. A lot of people don't even remember seeing Montana play or will not alive when he played. So of course most people are going to go with the current best quarterback.

Like I said a lot of people were arguing Kobe Bryant was better than Michael Jordan or Emmitt Smith was the best because he has the most yards And longevity when that could not be further from the truth. Even if a player has more championships than Michael Jordan that does not mean Jordan is not the best or would've won more trophies if he continue playing. He just retired early much like Montana. People are so shortsighted it's absolutely ridiculous. Use some f**king logic people damn.
[ Edited by elguapo on Feb 22, 2017 at 7:32 PM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:

I know right, this is getting clinical. Some of these people really need help. The arguments they make are utterly ridiculous. Montana won four Super Bowl's in way less time than Brady. What the hell More do you guys want? And he won in dominating fashion. Did not choke or lose. I would rather be 4 wins zero losses than five wins and two losses. Damn. At least this is good entertainment. A lot of people don't even remember seeing Montana play or will not alive when he played. So of course most people are going to go with the current best quarterback.

Like I said a lot of people were arguing Kobe Bryant was better than Michael Jordan or Emmitt Smith was the best because he has the most yards And longevity when that could not be further from the truth. Even if a player has more championships than Michael Jordan that does not mean Jordan is not the best or would've won more trophies if he continue playing. He just retired early much like Montana. People are so shortsighted it's absolutely ridiculous. Use some f**king logic people damn.

You are the only person then. In the end, it's about winning SBs. Quest for six seemed very important for many, if not most.

Who the hell ever said Kobe was better than MJ? I'm a Lakers fan and I never hear those opinions even from Laker fans. I've heard some dumb Cowboy fans think that Emmitt is the best RB, but that is also ridiculous. You ask most people, he doesn't even crack the top 3. You're just making up stuff now lol. Give it up already.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Feb 22, 2017 at 7:37 PM ]
and the posts in here just keep getting worse and worse. Now a lot of people were saying Kobe was better than MJ. LMAO. At least we know the odds now of going 4-4 in SBs. That is critical.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Feb 22, 2017 at 7:46 PM ]

Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:

You are the only person then. In the end, it's about winning SBs. Quest for six seemed very important for many, if not most.

Who the hell ever said Kobe was better than MJ? I'm a Lakers fan and I never hear those opinions even from Laker fans. I've heard some dumb Cowboy fans think that Emmitt is the best RB, but that is also ridiculous. You ask most people, he doesn't even crack the top 3. You're just making up stuff now lol. Give it up already.

You have got to be kidding me. So many Laker fans have said that Kobe Bryant is the best. Other media outlets were having this debate when comparing the two so what are you on? And so many people have argued that Emmitt Smith moved into the number one spot all time when he broke Walter Payton's record for rushing yards. So you must not get out much. You ought to take your own advice and give it up already and stop making up your own narratives. But then again, based on your history here that will never happen. Don't bother replying, it's a worthless exercise in futility talking to you. You contribute nothing. But keep up the great work.

Joe Montana has proven enough to be the all-time best quarterback ever so I'm happy with that.
[ Edited by elguapo on Feb 22, 2017 at 7:45 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Hey Guapo, you're caught up in the circle jerk now too

A lot of points made about Brady's greatness, but barely any to zero props for Montana's accomplishments... but ya know, gotta leave those out to make Tommy look Godlike in comparison.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

I've always said the same about emmitt. He had THE best line to run behind, anyone would have made those numbers. Larry Allen even made train noises letting the defense know the ball was coming that way, but couldn't be stopped. Emmit stuck around and went to Arizona to pad his numbers, but didn't do well there.....wonder why.

You have got to be kidding me. So many Laker fans have said that Kobe Bryant is the best. Other media outlets were having this debate when comparing the two so what are you on? And so many people have argued that Emmitt Smith moved into the number one spot all time when he broke Walter Payton's record for rushing yards. So you must not get out much. You ought to take your own advice and give it up already and stop making up your own narratives. But then again, based on your history here that will never happen. Don't bother replying, it's a worthless exercise in futility talking to you. You contribute nothing. But keep up the great work.

Joe Montana has proven enough to be the all-time best quarterback ever so I'm happy with that.

You get trolled too easily I guess, or watch too much Skip Bayless, I can see him being your idol lol.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Feb 22, 2017 at 8:18 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone