lol, i guess i do miss his nonsensical posts. but we have Ronnie now
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

ah yes, 49erGPT
Originally posted by mcwoot:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
Look at every draft, there is boom and bust picks all over. In fact, it is funny to go back and read the names selected before genuine super stars in past drafts.

OL is a tremendous need and should be feed with multiple draft picks.

Thats not a hard concept to fathom.

They did use multiple draft picks then signed one of he top rated undrafted OL.

Is secondary also not a tremendous need?
Burford who was in for an injured Feli, had the biggest brain fart at the worst time.. That play doesn't make the entire line as the worst in the NFL

PFF had us rated bottom 10 last year in pass blocking for the season
but we were off the charts efficient in the pass game, don't believe PFF rankings as they are not accurate
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

ah yes, 49erGPT

lol thanks, i thought i was only one who thought he was a bot
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

You shall be cursed for your lack of belief by whatever Kyle has
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Yes OL and secondary were both huge needs so we used our first on a WR

Yeach, agree. I'm not that happy with how the draft came down. But if ShanaLynch is confident they can get those Elijah Mitchell's and Brock Purdy's of the OLine in the day 3 of the draft - it kind of makes some sense.

They drafted McGlinchey, Solomon, Reuben in the first round and players in Day 3 have outperformed them (Kittle, Warner, Azeez etc...) I think McKivitz - overall now - is much better than McGlinchey at his best here, before he was let go.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Yeach, agree. I'm not that happy with how the draft came down. But if ShanaLynch is confident they can get those Elijah Mitchell's and Brock Purdy's of the OLine in the day 3 of the draft - it kind of makes some sense.

They drafted McGlinchey, Solomon, Reuben in the first round and players in Day 3 have outperformed them (Kittle, Warner, Azeez etc...) I think McKivitz - overall now - is much better than McGlinchey at his best here, before he was let go.

After watching so many high draft picks fail and so many UDFA and low draft picks succeed I've come to the conclusion that it makes no difference where you get your players. Good players can be found all over . High draft picks are often over rated . Maybe it's because they played on college teams that were loaded with talent or they just tested well at the combine. Until we see them in the NFL we can't make any real evaluation.

ah yes, 49erGPT

You missed the times last season when I called him RonnieBott
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

After watching so many high draft picks fail and so many UDFA and low draft picks succeed I've come to the conclusion that it makes no difference where you get your players. Good players can be found all over . High draft picks are often over rated . Maybe it's because they played on college teams that were loaded with talent or they just tested well at the combine. Until we see them in the NFL we can't make any real evaluation.

Agre💯%, and I'll just add that sometimes throwing numbers at a need tips the chances in your favor. ShanaLynch chose 2 QBs in two years consecutively. One panned out.

Same I think with the OLine. I just counted 17 OLinemen currently on the 90 man roster. I'm hoping they hit on some of them this year to bolster or compete with last year's starters.

ah yes, 49erGPT

You missed the times last season when I called him RonnieBott

I started that

I think the 3 first rounders trade up for Trey really cramped the 49ers in getting some good OLine players. Not complaining about landing Brock in the 7th round, as you can get first round talent level players in the 7th round. But they are rare as heck.

Marry a good OLine coach with Day 2 picks (like Forester and the Puni) pick, I think is a good way to go in the future. They have a good DLine coach and they team that up with first round level talent (Kocurek and Bosa/Drake), I think Foerster and day 2 level talent from here on out will work in the future. (I.e. Banks/Foerster.)

I agree you do not need to use 1st round pick to build a great OL. It is really difficult to build a great OL with nothing but a 5th 6th 7th and UDF on the line. What is hurting the OL depth and talent is Kyle, trading up Reuben Foster, Dante Pettis, Trey Sermon, using third round pick on skilled player like Danny Gray, Tyrion Davis-Price, Cameron Latu, Drafting a Punter in the 4th round and a Kicker in the third round. They traded for Emmanuel Sanders, and Christian McCaffrey. The McCaffrey trade is a great trade however that is 3 draft in a row using 3 third / 1 second round pick plus the 3 forth round pick they traded on RBs. Over Drafting Ricky Pearsall is another example, I hope he is a great player. They could have most likely traded back, pick up extra third and still draft Ricky Pearsall in the second round while using the extra Pick on an OL. This is why the OL is lacking and why the OL is Average in the league. Kyle over drafts skilled player and Kickers while he under values the OL. That's a lot of second the third round pick on WR and RB. Put it this way in 3 back to back drafts through trading and drafting using 7 pick on 3 RB, while the only OL draft in the top 3 rounds was Aaron Banks and he might be there second best OL playing.
[ Edited by dlance on May 26, 2024 at 11:18 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Agre💯%, and I'll just add that sometimes throwing numbers at a need tips the chances in your favor. ShanaLynch chose 2 QBs in two years consecutively. One panned out.

Same I think with the OLine. I just counted 17 OLinemen currently on the 90 man roster. I'm hoping they hit on some of them this year to bolster or compete with last year's starters.

This is fantastic news . Can the 49er please draft nothing but OL and DB in the top 4 round for the next 4 years. They can fill the rest of the team position with 5th,6th,7th and UDFA because it make no difference where you get your players. I realize 5 play but this will give good number to help them pan out. I'm joking , I'm not trying to be a jerk but this is ridiculous. Last year I think they carried 9 OL the 5 starters and 4 back up. Out of the 17 Linemen in camp 5 starter + Dominick Puni, Jarrett Kingston, Jaylon Moore and Spencer Burford. This is most likely who make the team. Now if they would have drafted a Tackle in the second round Jaylon Moore or Spencer Burford would be gone, McKivitz would most likely be a back up and the O line would be better. By adding Dominick Puni I think the O line is better. look forward to see Jarrett Kingston. I think they should have done more to improve the line. Next year we will be right back here talking about the same thing. Banks will most likely be gone, with Dominick Puni taking his place. Trent will be old and they currently have zero replacement lined up.
[ Edited by dlance on May 26, 2024 at 11:35 AM ]
It's very unlikely that Kingsley would've relegated McKivitz to a backup in 2024.

If Hubbard is fulky healthy he is the swing tackle.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on May 26, 2024 at 3:11 PM ]
Jaylon Moore was drafted in the 5th round. Why isn't he an All-Pro by now?

Good post and agree about McGlinchy.
Share 49ersWebzone