There are 270 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff 2m2 minutes ago

Over the final eight weeks of 2014, Joe Staley had a +18.5 grade, third best among all tackles. Allowed no sacks and just one QB hit. #49ers

Over the final eight weeks of 2014, Alex Boone had a +13.5 grade, sixth best among all guards, and did not allow a sack or QB hit. #49ers

9:13 AM - 11 Jun 2015 · Details

There are actually some decent points in here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2492777-why-erik-pears-is-san-francisco-49ers-best-bet-at-right-tackleutm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-49ers

Right now, it seems Boone will replace Iupati. "We're working (Boone) at left guard position," Tomsula said Wednesday afternoon. "You start talking about creating some depth—the stance is the same if you did left tackle, so you're footwork's the same…and he's comfortable there."

Let me translate: Boone is the backup left tackle. The left guard plays with the same footwork as the left tackle. By playing left guard, Boone is preparing himself to take over for Staley if Staley gets hurt. Smart.There's another benefit to playing Boone at left guard. In a gap-blocking scheme, the left guard is the most important run-blocker on the line. He is the puller, the one who runs and blocks on the move.Boone was a terrific puller last season from the right guard position on counter plays. From left guard, he can be the primary puller on power plays.

"We're not solely a zone scheme," Tomsula clarified Wednesday afternoon. Playing Boone at left guard allows the Niners to keep the power plays in the playbook.

"I really like Pears as a right tackle," Tomsula said Wednesday afternoon. "That's what he's played. That's what we've evaluated him most at. I like the way he was moving. But the biggest thing with Pears since he's gotten here is with his weight room, he's bigger and stronger than he's ever been."Pears can hold his ground at the line of scrimmage. No one will push him around—he has been working out in NFL weight-training programs since 2006.

He is much stronger than 22-year old rookie Trent Brown. That won't change overnight.

The 49ers gave up 52 sacks last year. Their right tackles—Davis and Jonathan Martin—gave up nine of those sacks, per Pro Football Focus. Pears never has given up more than four sacks in a season. As a pass protector, he should be an upgrade over Martin and Davis.Pears is the 49ers' best bet at right tackle in 2015.

I can't believe Boone was rated that highly after week 8 by PFF. I did not think his play was that stellar, but I didn't watch every play while focusing on Boone so oh well. I question the, "and did not allow a sack or QB hit." stat.
It makes sense to put Boone at LG if Pears can hold down RT. I like that the coaches are still thinking of keeping some power elements in the run game, though that just makes the loss of ADavis sting a bit more. Here's what the article meant by Boone pulling for some Counter plays.

This play is my example of Counter Lead in the Concepts thread.

Yeah, what WRATH and I learned about PFF in evaluating the OL is that to take those grades with a grain of salt...right about 50% of the time. You can see patterns too...meaning it appears one guy may be evaluating one OL...if he's a quality evaluator, the grades makes sense...if not, they are consistently poor.

They also appear to skew OG grades HEAVILY toward run blocking, which has benefited Iupati greatly. The rationale, iirc, is that pass blocking is so much easier at G (except it really isn't; it's just power/quickness vs speed to power/quickness), so the run blocking is weighed more heavily. The reasoning holds that OGs should be rewarded for excelling at the "most difficult" part of their job. In reality, they are not properly punished for sucking donkey taint at what's probably the most important part of their job (early interior pressure is a killer).
  • thl408

Over the final eight weeks of 2014, Joe Staley had a +18.5 grade, third best among all tackles. Allowed no sacks and just one QB hit. #49ers

Over the final eight weeks of 2014, Alex Boone had a +13.5 grade, sixth best among all guards, and did not allow a sack or QB hit. #49ers

So the stat about not giving up a QB hit/sack after week 8 is pretty bold to me so I went back to review some of the cut ups from last season. This is from the SEA film thread when I cut up each dropback that Kap had in that game.

From week 13. So who got assigned blame for the sack here according to PFF? I don't expect anyone to answer this, just sayin. Is a "sack allowed" only when the OLman tries to pass block, but fails doing so? Brain farts don't count?
  • thl408

From week 15. So it's not an "allowed QB hit" because Kap was able to escape the immediate pressure?

That PFF stat is invalid.

From week 15. So it's not an "allowed QB hit" because Kap was able to escape the immediate pressure?

Bingo! Thanks thl...

Thanks 4 the info
There are actually some decent points in here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2492777-why-erik-pears-is-san-francisco-49ers-best-bet-at-right-tackleutm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-49ers

Right now, it seems Boone will replace Iupati. "We're working (Boone) at left guard position," Tomsula said Wednesday afternoon. "You start talking about creating some depth—the stance is the same if you did left tackle, so you're footwork's the same…and he's comfortable there."

Let me translate: Boone is the backup left tackle. The left guard plays with the same footwork as the left tackle. By playing left guard, Boone is preparing himself to take over for Staley if Staley gets hurt. Smart.There's another benefit to playing Boone at left guard. In a gap-blocking scheme, the left guard is the most important run-blocker on the line. He is the puller, the one who runs and blocks on the move.Boone was a terrific puller last season from the right guard position on counter plays. From left guard, he can be the primary puller on power plays.

"We're not solely a zone scheme," Tomsula clarified Wednesday afternoon. Playing Boone at left guard allows the Niners to keep the power plays in the playbook.

"I really like Pears as a right tackle," Tomsula said Wednesday afternoon. "That's what he's played. That's what we've evaluated him most at. I like the way he was moving. But the biggest thing with Pears since he's gotten here is with his weight room, he's bigger and stronger than he's ever been."Pears can hold his ground at the line of scrimmage. No one will push him around—he has been working out in NFL weight-training programs since 2006.

He is much stronger than 22-year old rookie Trent Brown. That won't change overnight.

The 49ers gave up 52 sacks last year. Their right tackles—Davis and Jonathan Martin—gave up nine of those sacks, per Pro Football Focus. Pears never has given up more than four sacks in a season. As a pass protector, he should be an upgrade over Martin and Davis.Pears is the 49ers' best bet at right tackle in 2015.

They could get that same "LG backs up LT" effect by putting Thomas at LG. I still think Boone is better suited to T than G, but I also agree (superficially, as I haven't seen much of him) that Pears is better at T than G as well.
Pears had his best years under Chan Gailey, playing right tackle in a zone scheme. He should be a decent short term solution for us.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
They could get that same "LG backs up LT" effect by putting Thomas at LG. I still think Boone is better suited to T than G, but I also agree (superficially, as I haven't seen much of him) that Pears is better at T than G as well.

Agree with you but the key will be the chemistry between the linemen. I'm not sure whether Boone is a solid leader in that regard. He does have a mouth but is he developing trust or just being a camera ready guy for the press? Staley was a jokester and kept everyone loose...I don't see Boone as the same sort. Guess he's burned his bridges with me and needs to re-prove himself...not that it matters! I really want to see all the linemen have the attitude that it's life and death to keep Kaepernick healthy...because it is for the team.
It seems to me they want Boone to replace Iupati as starting LG and then have MM, Looney and Thomas compete for starting RG. The point is only the coaches know what the hell they're doing with the offensive line. The rest of us are wannabe GMs and coaches, including the beat writers.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
It seems to me they want Boone to replace Iupati as starting LG and then have MM, Looney and Thomas compete for starting RG. The point is only the coaches know what the hell they're doing with the offensive line. The rest of us are wannabe GMs and coaches, including the beat writers.

I'm cool with that. Staley and Boone would make a very good left side. One of the young guys is bound to step up and claim the RG spot.

We're in decent shape. Just read Evan Mathis was released by the Eagles. Arguably the best zone blocking guard in the league. The team could look into bringing him in. Depends on his salary demands. Sounds like he wants a big deal.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Agree with you but the key will be the chemistry between the linemen. I'm not sure whether Boone is a solid leader in that regard. He does have a mouth but is he developing trust or just being a camera ready guy for the press? Staley was a jokester and kept everyone loose...I don't see Boone as the same sort. Guess he's burned his bridges with me and needs to re-prove himself...not that it matters! I really want to see all the linemen have the attitude that it's life and death to keep Kaepernick healthy...because it is for the team.

Just theorizing here but I wonder if the coaching staff is slowly installing the playbook for Boone by giving him the easier of the ZBS's and playbook at LG...as he learns more, works more in at T like Tomsula already stated he'd do.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by ninerjok:

I'm cool with that. Staley and Boone would make a very good left side. One of the young guys is bound to step up and claim the RG spot.

We're in decent shape. Just read Evan Mathis was released by the Eagles. Arguably the best zone blocking guard in the league. The team could look into bringing him in. Depends on his salary demands. Sounds like he wants a big deal.

Can't imagine Baalke bringing in Mathis, he's not usually the type to give big deals to guards and he'll definitely warrant one.
Chris Biderman ‏@ChrisBiderman 4m4 minutes ago

Alex Boone started the day with the first-team O-line at LG, but played with the 2nd team for most of practice.

Jim Tomsula and OC Geep Chryst have said Boone is playing on the left side to prep as Joe Staley's backup. Battle on right side is fluid.

1:09 PM - 11 Jun 2015 · Details
Just theorizing here but I wonder if the coaching staff is slowly installing the playbook for Boone by giving him the easier of the ZBS's and playbook at LG...as he learns more, works more in at T like Tomsula already stated he'd do.

Well, the would be the smart thing to do so I think you are right. Tomsula has impressed me very much with his practices and blend of marginal players with the first squad so they can get a true perspective of how they fit in with the regulars. Boone will be able to play RG, LG or either tackle better with this practice. I'm anxious to see how good Thomas is! Does he leapfrog Martin and Looney for the other G position? Or will he have a year as a back up?

Another thing I like hearing is that the young WRs are giving the DBs a lot of good work. Will help both positions...starters and depth!
  • thl408
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Well, the would be the smart thing to do so I think you are right. Tomsula has impressed me very much with his practices and blend of marginal players with the first squad so they can get a true perspective of how they fit in with the regulars. Boone will be able to play RG, LG or either tackle better with this practice. I'm anxious to see how good Thomas is! Does he leapfrog Martin and Looney for the other G position? Or will he have a year as a back up?

Another thing I like hearing is that the young WRs are giving the DBs a lot of good work. Will help both positions...starters and depth!

I believe it's generally more difficult to be a ZBS Guard than Tackle when specifically talking about run blocking. Guards are almost always combo blocking as they take on DTs who are the bullish run stoppers, then hunt down LBs after combo blocking. Guards are always tasked with an important assignment whether they are the backside or the playside guard in ZBS.

It's the Tackles playing the backside that often have an 'easy' 1v1 block with no post-snap reads. The difficulty of run blocking as a tackle comes when having to perform reach blocks that seal the edge as the playside Tackle on outside zone plays.

I believe the notions that Boone at LG is so he can act as the pull guard when running the Power play and other Power blocking runs is truth, as well as the "LG can sub for LT" aspect. With ADavis and Iupati gone, Boone is now their best mauler so it makes sense to put him at LG to help the Power run game.
Share 49ersWebzone