LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 317 users in the forums

Do they not think we see through their smokescreen?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Our 49er 2014 season ended with a thud. As a fanbase the this one hurts. Mostly becauseas we as fans had superbowl aspirations. We stand back now and can see that several dark clouds loomeded over our team. We had season long issues that plagued our 49ers. Those issues began in the offeason. It started with an ownership and front office that made it abundantly clear that they wanted Jim Harbaugh gone. Those rumors were a season long distraction that never allowed the coaches or the players to focus on their jobs. We had off field problems with the law, hold outs, key player suspensions, injuries in key areas. We had regression at certain positions as well as strategic coaching flaws. These issues as I mentioned were season long. Unfortunately you cannot win football games that way.

Once the season ended, one thing we knew for sure is that Harbaugh was gone. There are those that loyally defended Harbaugh based on his record. Others defended the mutual parting based on Harbaugh's inability to fix the multitude of issues that existed in his offensive system.

It's very difficult to figure out who's stearing the ship at this point. Is it Dr. York pulling his son's puppet strings? Or is Jed York empowered to make these decisions? Has Jed become over reliant on Baalke thus allowing Baalke to call all the shots? We as a fanbase want to see decisions being made that will inspire confidence once again. Unfortunately from the outside it seems like the decisions being made are taking us in the direction of an iceburg. An iceburg that everyone sees coming except York and Baalke. They are too focused on admiring their ship and making sure that THEY are the only ones running it, instead of making sure it reaches its destination.

Lets begin with the coaching search. Can we all agree that it was a ruse? The 49ers brought in coaches from all around the league. Some young ones, some retreads, some offensive minds, some defensive minds. Some very impressive, some not so impressive. But it was all a ruse. They knew all along that they wanted to hire Jim Tomsula. Jed knew this was a very uninspiring hire. He thought that if he interviewed every coach in the NFL and then hired Tomsula, that the fan base would trust that Tomsula must be the best candidate. Jed and Baalke got their yes man. Jed has put all of his faith in Baalke. He's all in. He's allowed Baalke to create an environment where he is unchallenged and that is a dangerous proposition.

Baalke said this was not a rebuild, instead he said it was a reload. Baalke said he was looking for a teacher. If we trusted Baalke, we could take that at face value. This is a team that had a world class defense. All we needed to address was our offensive line, a little speed at WR and an OC that stuck to our strenth and added more creativity in the passing game. If this was truly a RELOAD as Baalke said, they would have focused their search on an offensive minded coach with experience. An offensive coach that could mentor our QB. An offensive coach that would leave the rest of our coaching staff intact. What we got was a defensive line coach who has never held a coordiantor position in the NFL. A good guy, a players coach that is well liked and respected in the locker room, unfortunately not the strategic offensive mind that they were searching for. The brilliance of York continues. In hiring Tomsula, not only was the offense not addressed, they also did not bring in a person that could "teach" a mobile QB. That's not even the worst part. In hiring Tomsula, the Niners insulted the MVP of the coaching staff Vick Fangio. Insulted him to a point that Fangio is now leaving and his landing spot will be with a division rival. Now that's intelligent. Think he knows how to game plan against Colin Kaepernick? So this "reload" now consists of all of our coaches leaving except for Rathman. Sounds like a rebuild to me.

So, in summary we are left with an inexperienced boy acting as president that backstabs his coaches with leaks to the media and voices his displeasure on social media. And we have a power hungry GM in Baalke who has conned the Yorks into allowing him to eliminate anyone who will challenge him. But don't worry. Baalke has a plan. That plan consists of Dennis Allen the failed and fired Raiders coach as a DC. A position he's only held for one year. Baalke seems to also be addressing our most pressing need, OC by looking at Tresman. A man who the 49ers fired once and a man who was most recently fired by the Bears. That is our savior. Brilliant. Don't expect any assistance from Tomsula in picking out coaches, as a Dline coach, he's never assembled a coaching staff. Baalke will get to control all that too. He planned it that way. Can I have my PSL money back please……
[ Edited by bayareafanatic1 on Jan 15, 2015 at 9:21 AM ]
Don't you want an owner that doesn't know football to put his trust in his football guy? This is one of the b*tching points from fans that I won't understand.
Originally posted by Handlesit:
Don't you want an owner that doesn't know football to put his trust in his football guy? This is one of the b*tching points from fans that I won't understand.

Yes. To a degree. But you don't want one guy to hold all the cards unchallenged.
Originally posted by bayareafanatic1:
Originally posted by Handlesit:

Yes. To a degree. But you don't want one guy to hold all the cards unchallenged.

No you don't, which is why we got rid of Harbaugh.
I'm sorry but this thread does a lot of reaching, I think Baalke is bringing in guys he can work well with that all share the same "philosophies"

If you want my opinion on the issue last year, it looked like too many coaches were pulling too many strings in too many different directions.
The results being a Qb that regressed, an offensive line that was top5 in the NFL a year prior getting dominated at the LOS by the Raiders and dropping to bottom 5 overall. A OC who not only looks like an idiot, but called plays like one as well. Talented draft picks becoming busts through their lack of development. Bad drafts. Too many different pieces on an offense that supposed to be simple, yet we are horrible at looking organized before a play.

All of that can be contributed to lack of communication, something it sounded like Harbs didn't want to use.
I understand this hiring, and personally I think it was a good one.

Also, if you want your money for your seat back I heard Oakland is looking for some loyal fans.
Amazing to me how quickly people jump ship over something like this.
Our 49er 2014 season ended with a thud. As a fanbase the this one hurts. Mostly becauseas we as fans had superbowl aspirations. We stand back now and can see that several dark clouds loomeded over our team. We had season long issues that plagued our 49ers. Those issues began in the offeason. It started with an ownership and front office that made it abundantly clear that they wanted Jim Harbaugh gone. Those rumors were a season long distraction that never allowed the coaches or the players to focus on their jobs. We had off field problems with the law, hold outs, key player suspensions, injuries in key areas. We had regression at certain positions as well as strategic coaching flaws. These issues as I mentioned were season long. Unfortunately you cannot win football games that way.

Once the season ended, one thing we knew for sure is that Harbaugh was gone. There are those that loyally defended Harbaugh based on his record. Others defended the mutual parting based on Harbaugh's inability to fix the multitude of issues that existed in his offensive system.

It's very difficult to figure out who's stearing the ship at this point. Is it Dr. York pulling his son's puppet strings? Or is Jed York empowered to make these decisions? Has Jed become over reliant on Baalke thus allowing Baalke to call all the shots? We as a fanbase want to see decisions being made that will inspire confidence once again. Unfortunately from the outside it seems like the decisions being made are taking us in the direction of an iceburg. An iceburg that everyone sees coming except York and Baalke. They are too focused on admiring their ship and making sure that THEY are the only ones running it, instead of making sure it reaches its destination.

Lets begin with the coaching search. Can we all agree that it was a ruse? The 49ers brought in coaches from all around the league. Some young ones, some retreads, some offensive minds, some defensive minds. Some very impressive, some not so impressive. But it was all a ruse. They knew all along that they wanted to hire Jim Tomsula. Jed knew this was a very uninspiring hire. He thought that if he interviewed every coach in the NFL and then hired Tomsula, that the fan base would trust that Tomsula must be the best candidate. Jed and Baalke got their yes man. Jed has put all of his faith in Baalke. He's all in. He's allowed Baalke to create an environment where he is unchallenged and that is a dangerous proposition.

Baalke said this was not a rebuild, instead he said it was a reload. Baalke said he was looking for a teacher. If we trusted Baalke, we could take that at face value. This is a team that had a world class defense. All we needed to address was our offensive line, a little speed at WR and an OC that stuck to our strenth and added more creativity in the passing game. If this was truly a RELOAD as Baalke said, they would have focused their search on an offensive minded coach with experience. An offensive coach that could mentor our QB. An offensive coach that would leave the rest of our coaching staff intact. What we got was a defensive line coach who has never held a coordiantor position in the NFL. A good guy, a players coach that is well liked and respected in the locker room, unfortunately not the strategic offensive mind that they were searching for. The brilliance of York continues. In hiring Tomsula, not only was the offense not addressed, they also did not bring in a person that could "teach" a mobile QB. That's not even the worst part. In hiring Tomsula, the Niners insulted the MVP of the coaching staff Vick Fangio. Insulted him to a point that Fangio is now leaving and his landing spot will be with a division rival. Now that's intelligent. Think he knows how to game plan against Colin Kaepernick? So this "reload" now consists of all of our coaches leaving except for Rathman. Sounds like a rebuild to me.

So, in summary we are left with an inexperienced boy acting as president that backstabs his coaches with leaks to the media and voices his displeasure on social media. And we have a power hungry GM in Baalke who has conned the Yorks into allowing him to eliminate anyone who will challenge him. But don't worry. Baalke has a plan. That plan consists of Dennis Allen the failed and fired Raiders coach as a DC. A position he's only held for one year. Baalke seems to also be addressing our most pressing need, OC by looking at Tresman. A man who the 49ers fired once and a man who was most recently fired by the Bears. That is our savior. Brilliant. Don't expect any assistance from Tomsula in picking out coaches, as a Dline coach, he's never assembled a coaching staff. Baalke will get to control all that too. He planned it that way. Can I have my PSL money back please……

It's unbelievable they even won 8 games

Think of it like this. Before you wrote this thread, you already knew that you didn't like York and Baalke, but you wrote the thread anyway and asked us if we agreed. This means that your thread didn't change your opinion of York and Baalke, but the intent was to vent frustration or feel solidarity with other depressed fans.

Likewise, York and Baalke may have very well known that Tomsula was the likely hire and the interview process would not have changed their mind. Still, they went through all the steps because they wanted to make good use of the situation. At the very least, going through all the motions allowed them to satisfy the Rooney rule, get free advice from top coaching candidates, and verify (or disprove) their initial belief (if that's the case) that Tomsula was the best guy for the job.

I feel for frustrated fans who've (monetarily) invested in the team and I can understand the frustration. However, I don't think York and Baalke are intentionally trying to steal fans' money (intentionally is the key word). I think they do have a solid plan, but we'll obviously have to see how things play out.
Originally posted by zonkers:
Think of it like this. Before you wrote this thread, you already knew that you didn't like York and Baalke, but you wrote the thread anyway and asked us if we agreed. This means that your thread didn't change your opinion of York and Baalke, but the intent was to vent frustration or feel solidarity with other depressed fans.

Likewise, York and Baalke may have very well known that Tomsula was the likely hire and the interview process would not have changed their mind. Still, they went through all the steps because they wanted to make good use of the situation. At the very least, going through all the motions allowed them to satisfy the Rooney rule, get free advice from top coaching candidates, and verify (or disprove) their initial belief (if that's the case) that Tomsula was the best guy for the job.

I feel for frustrated fans who've (monetarily) invested in the team and I can understand the frustration. However, I don't think York and Baalke are intentionally trying to steal fans' money (intentionally is the key word). I think they do have a solid plan, but we'll obviously have to see how things play out.

Zonkers,
that's all we have left is hope...... They have two pieces left and they can't screw that part up. OC and DC...
So,
after watching the press conference I am even less enthused and less inspired with the Tomsula hiring than I was before. This man is going to organize game plans? Offensive and defensive game plans? He couldn't even articulate thoughts in front of the press. Not even when asked the most basic questions. Tomsula is a great guy I am sure, but he isn't head coach material. They better get a brilliant OC.....
Can't argue with any of it. You make a ton of valid points.

Most dangerous thing about all this is completely gutting an excellent defensive staff, as well as York empowering Baalke with complete control over everything.

I believe in checks and balances, and while I believe Baalke is a good overall talent evaluator, he's also a stubborn, insecure, power hungry executive. There is now nobody to hold Baalke accountable for anything, except for York who probably doesn't have the stones.

Harbaugh was great for this team, not just because he was a good football coach, but because he was a strong personality that forced you to be a winner, even if he had to drag you kicking and screaming. He stepped on a lot of toes, but we won A LOT.

Baalke and York do not see the value in someone who will challenge and push you to be better. They believe that lacks class. Apparently, class is all about doing what you're told.
That's basically a lot of it. We already hit the iceburg. We are sinking right now.

Originally posted by zonkers:

This was a very sane post. So what if they wanted baalke to coach more from behind the scenes. How do you think baalke felt when they drafted lamichael james? Did any fan envision him in the role he was given? To knock tomsula before he has even coached a game with the current roster is insane. Kicking a guy before he has even had a chance to fail yet is low. If he turns out to be great there is going to be huge crow to eat around here. There is a possibility he actually was a better candidate than fangio.

Fans were delusional to think we could win a superbowl in 2013 let alone 2014. You do not win by utilizing the same plan that has been exploited previously. Harbaugh made a mistake by letting smith go (at best kap is a marginal improvement over smith for a huge cost increase). He then tried to put the game on kaepernicks shoulders this year and it did not work as expected. He then could not lean on his old rb to carry the team anymore so he ran out of tricks. His inability to play young players was infuriating and I am happy he is gone. If he stayed we would be 7-9 or worse next year with the same core players playing every snap of the game running the same offense which would be even worse.
please give up your tix

Well, maybe it's just a freak occurence, but look up north in Seattle. Paul Allen knows sh*t about football. He's just a giant, walking bag of money. So instead of trying to control his team, he went to Pete Carroll and gave him the keys and 100% control. Pete got to chose his own GM for crying you loud. He's the one who hand picked Schneider. So you can say he's pretty much got all the Shecocks cards unchallenged. Result? Chasing their second Lombardi in a row...
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
please give up your tix

I doubt you can afford them.
Originally posted by Draelmar:
Well, maybe it's just a freak occurence, but look up north in Seattle. Paul Allen knows sh*t about football. He's just a giant, walking bag of money. So instead of trying to control his team, he went to Pete Carroll and gave him the keys and 100% control. Pete got to chose his own GM for crying you loud. He's the one who hand picked Schneider. So you can say he's pretty much got all the Shecocks cards unchallenged. Result? Chasing their second Lombardi in a row...

That's what the best owners do. They identify the right people to hire, and then step out of the way. Let them do their jobs. If you're winning, there is absolutely no reason to butt in.
Share 49ersWebzone