There are 220 users in the forums

San Diego Chargers coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
The very next play from post #25

3Q 3rd & 5
SD shows their hand presnap that a blitz is coming. Kap
SD: cover1 man. Presnap disguised as cover2.

Kap dropsback and looks to VD who has inside leverage on an inside breaking route. The single deep safety has to slide over to the middle of the field from his cover2 position (presnap disguise). The orange square is Gore and Boone blocking the stunting blitzer.

Kap is mid windup targeting VD and will hit VD in stride.

There were two penalties called: illegal formation on ADavis (not lined up on the LoS - check the first pic to see where ADavis is set), chop block on Gore. My understanding is if Gore engages the low block first, it's okay for Boone to come high (not sure). It's close, but I think Gore engages first.
  • thl408
The accepted penalty for the chop block makes it 3rd & 20. We've seen the 49ers call a running play a few times this season when it's '3rd & very long' and it upsets many of us to essentially give up and punt the ball. A conservative playcall to avoid forcing a deep throw downfield. Here, the 49ers get aggressive and look for the 3rd down conversion.

3Q 3rd & 20
SD: cover3. The CB on Lloyd is aligned giving a 7 yard cushion.

As soon as Kap starts his dropback, he should see the CB (blue arrow) on Lloyd start to bail and stay over the top in order to defeat any vertical route, which is exactly what Lloyd is running. The CB using a combination of a 7 yard cushion + bail technique should tell Kap to immediately look elsewhere, unless he really thinks Lloyd can physically outmatch the CB.

When Kap finally moves off of Lloyd to look to his right, there is pressure in his face as Iupati gets knocked down.

Strip sack, fumble recovery for a TD.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Sheesh, even with a rusher coming at him, this is an easy read. Both Boldin and Patten have single coverage once that FS comes down. Should have let it rip to Patten because of the speed. I understand it was a play action but once Kap turned around and saw the safety coming down, he should have let it rip.

I'm giving Kap the benefit of doubt since it was a play action and Kaps back was to the action. However, everyone and their momma should have told him if he sees no safety then to lead Patten to the post to use his speed. In a way, I'me upset Kap didn't use common sense to throw to Patten or to Boldin AND I am pissed if no coach pointed this possibility put to him. Taking into consideration Kaps habit to avoid the scholarly decision (Raiders), I think it was on Kap.
  • thl408
After SD cuts into the lead at 28-21 with the defensive fumble recovery for a TD, the 49ers answer with this.

3Q 2nd & 6
49ers: Spot concept to Kap's right.
SD: cover 1 man (5 man pressure)

Kap completes his dropback and there is immediate pressure in his face (orange), given up by MMartin. Against man coverage, the Spot concept quickly gets Boldin open due to Miller's route providing a pick on the blue CB (Boldin's defender). VD has outside leverage on an outside breaking route. Kap sees the pressure and looks to evade.

Had Kap been able to stand in the pocket, perhaps he sees VD winning on his Corner route. No pocket here. Kap evades the rush.

+90 yards
  • thl408
With 11:14 left in the game and holding on to a 35-21 lead, this is the last real good 49er offensive play of the game.

4Q 2nd & 6
49ers: Iso FB lead. The key blocks are Boone and Iupati.

Boone collapses his block. Iupati hinges his block to the inside. Miller targets his block on #50.

Gore reads his blocks and finds daylight.

+11 yards
  • thl408
SD converted two key 4th downs on their tying TD drive.

4Q 4th 4th & 7 (1:35 left)
49ers: cover 1 (5 man pressure). 49ers fall for a hard count and show their hand that a blitz is coming. Rivers makes the proper adjustments.

Good protection for Rivers. With the intermediate middle of the field open, Rivers targets the crossing route.

Bethea almost got a hand on it. Pinpoint throw form Rivers.

Notice how the 49ers reveal the blitz presnap. This gives Rivers a presnap read of 'man coverage' and an idea of where to go with the ball.
  • thl408
The other key 4th down conversion for SD.

4Q 4th & 10 (0:54 left)
49ers: cover 1 man (5 man pressure as Lemonier comes on a delayed blitz)

Rivers completes his dropback and looks right.

The slot WR breaking to the outside takes DJohnson out of the passing lane to yellow's Curl. Rivers anticipates DJohnson removing himself from the passing lane and is mid windup targeting yellow.

+17 yards

gg
Originally posted by thl408:

+90 yards

what do you think Kap's speed should be in madden?
Thl and jd you are very appreciated for these threads. Just curious how moody, tank aldon lynch performed. Thank you.
My god this offensive line is a POS. Little wonder why Kaep has happy feet ... it is pure survival instinct after being harassed and bashed all year long.

^^^ So typical of us. A huge play is wiped out by a penalty. It's almost expected every time. Then, with a lead, inside our own 20 on 3rd and 20, when we SHOULD be conservative, we go for it and it ends badly.

That said, WTH, we're already out of the playoffs so
why not.

It's just a microcosm of our season...
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 26, 2014 at 7:08 AM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by thl408:

+90 yards

what do you think Kap's speed should be in madden?

Ludicrous?

Well, hopefully whoever is calling plays next year has built in mechanisms to beat a solid pass rush. I don't really feel like Kap ever has outlets, or they do many quick strike passes in this offense to catch the defense off guard.
Hw many times I've read "kap stayed to long with xy, should have redlighted him imediately"
That strip, sack, fumble is the story of our season right there.

a. 4 guys beat 5 OL and a RB in to chip - we need to go unsexy in the draft this year and pick up some pass blockers.
b. Our guards laying on the ground - terrible, terrible, terrible
c. Kap fails to check it off to Gore - this is coaching. That is such an easy pitch and catch, maybe for minimal yards, but still better than a sack.
d. Kap does not secure the ball - he really needs to quit flailing it around
[ Edited by SJniner7 on Dec 26, 2014 at 7:58 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone