LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 230 users in the forums

Alex Smith was the key to our offense... as a backup.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
Alex being a back-up just happened to coincide with a strong armed fleet footed new QB getting unleashed on the NFL running an offense suited to him. The success of the offense was 100% based on defensive coordinators dealing with something they hadn't seen before in Kaepernick, running a gimmick offense that played to his strengths. It took about what 10-12 games for the NFL defensive coordinators to figure him out? That is what happened, Harbaugh and Roman didn't decide to stop playing to Kaepernick's strengths, defenses did what they could to take away what Kap does well and force him to beat them with his weaknesses. How many QBs have great success in their first handful of starts then fade into mediocrity or back to riding the pine or worst yet out of football? Look at the recent young guns. Where is the Cam Newton that started his NFL career with back to back 400 yard games and threw for over 4,000 yards as a rookie? How is RG3 the 2012 Pro Bowler and offensive rookie of the year doing? Defensive coordinators is what happened to them, any part of their game or the play calling was altered out of necessity. Don't understand why people can't realize that is what is happening with Kaepernick.

Because people are understandably emotionally invested in Kap. Much easier to throw Roman and by extension Jim under the bus.

Anyhow, here's a good read:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/03/quarterback-market-draft-2015/
Double
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Phil:
Because people are understandably emotionally invested in Kap. Much easier to throw Roman and by extension Jim under the bus.

Anyhow, here's a good read:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/03/quarterback-market-draft-2015/

Or...you are emotionally invested in Roman or by extension Jim, and thus have to throw Kaepernick under the bus?

Peter King's comments are mostly correct but not new. Would a GM make the RGIII trade today knowing what they know? Not many would have made the trade in the first place. RGIII may have been just as good as we thought he was, but is now damaged physically through injury and by having the owners ear to a team damaging affect.

Each of these players mentioned should be considered individually. Wilson is treading water? Really? He won the Super Bowl and is just about the whole team this year...but that's treading water.

The argument between pocket passers and running QBs is the same old argument...Pocket guys tend to be more accurate, stay healthier and last longer...which is why the 9ers are trying to convert Kaepernick. The only difference these days is you have a week and a half to make the conversion or people start throwing dirt on you.

Back to your comment on people being emotionally invested in Kaepernick. I support and defend Kaepernick because he has incredible physical tools and is young enough in the NFL to get better. He is also the only option the team has because Baalke/Harbaugh traded the other QB away. So unless you have a time machine, we are stuck where we are until the off season and continually bashing the guy and pointing out his flaws seems unnecessary and futile. Do I see him jump up and miss a pass when he could have kept his feet planted? Yes. Do I see him bail out of the pocket too early? Yes. Do I see him miss player who are wide open because he is locked in on another player? Yes.

Do I give up and figure Kaepernick can't ever be a good NFL QB? No, it's way too early and what would be the point of that?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 4, 2014 at 11:14 AM ]
Originally posted by CMIO:
Originally posted by thetruthhurts:
Alex Smith brought nothing to this team. He came up short time and time again, and everyone from fans to media would waste hours trying to figure out whether it was him or his supporting cast that was holding the team back.

I for one was VERY happy when his ship sailed. Now he's KCs problem, and we're already seeing the same excuses we used in SF (receivers suck, bad oline, playcalling) being used there. Good riddance. I expect Andy Reid to be out of a job within the next 3 yrs if Alex remains starter.

/rant

Wow that is quite the rant. Not accurate at all but hopefully you feel better now. Oh and by the way KC is very glad to have him as their "problem" and I am sure Smith is happy to have departed after Harbaugh stabbed him in the back. What Smith has accomplished with the worst pass blocking O line and receivers in the league is pretty amazing. Those are facts, not excuses.

Worst pass blocking oline ?
Bad receivers ?

Haven't heard that before. What's next ? Small hands ?

Just because you have heard these facts before does not make them any less factual.
Originally posted by 310ninerfan:
He was instrumental to kaps development when he took over. Alex could actually read the defense and audible to the correct play!!!. Relaying what he saw from the defense to Kap and making proper adjustments. Kaepernick went from a capable starting QB backing him up and advising him, to McCoy and now Gabert. A veteran QB is of the up most importance next year.

Seriously ? Read defenses ? Audible correctly?

Ahhh yeah....seriously.
Alex Smith brought nothing to this team. He came up short time and time again, and everyone from fans to media would waste hours trying to figure out whether it was him or his supporting cast that was holding the team back.

I for one was VERY happy when his ship sailed. Now he's KCs problem, and we're already seeing the same excuses we used in SF (receivers suck, bad oline, playcalling) being used there. Good riddance. I expect Andy Reid to be out of a job within the next 3 yrs if Alex remains starter.

/rant

Wassup brotha. You know what I'm not even mad at this rant. lol. What he brought to this team. I think a winning record after Harb's came. But let's just not even talk about that.

Guess why I bolded the words above..... Funny thing is, why Alex has been long gone.... You ever notice that We are still talking about the same things even with Kaep under center. So what does that say do you think?
Originally posted by matt49er:
Thanks. I don't understand what the QB coach is doing if he's not doing this w/Kap on the sidelines though? I mean, I get the HC has a lot to do, the OC is in the booth. So what exactly is the QB coach doing?

Taking us for a ride.
Share 49ersWebzone