There are 197 users in the forums

What exactly does Harbs bring to the table?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Great post, znk916.

Harbaugh is a very good coach, there's no questioning that, but I think his extremely stubborn nature and his belief in "gut instinct" over logic has limited our growth and led to him being outcoached by his brother and other elite head coaches in big games.
agreed, great post. spot-on what I wanted to post myself.

I am thankful for Harbs and him bringing change and stability at HC. very thankful for bringing Fangio in as well to replace that bum Manusky

however, Harbs gets too much credit and when people say 'he inherited the same team', its just not true. additions of aldon, rogers and whitner by themselves were huge, as well as starting brooks bowman and ray mcd.

we had talent and then that year Harbs took over we just a whole new overhaul for the defense that dominated and if you remember, first game we gave up a rushing TD was like in 12th game against lynch

again, very thankful to Harbs, who is imo the best coach we've had since Seifert. but someone has to take responsibility for the offenses long-standing problems and regression. we need a whole overhaul of offensive playcalling and unlike John, I dont think Jim can do it painlessly and would rather work elsewhere. If so, be it. As long as Fangio stays.
We got spoiled with The GOAT , Bill Walsh. He truly was the most thoughtful, inventive, game planner and play caller of all time. He took over, with a QB project of his choosing and developed Joe into the select circle of GOATs, winning 3 SBs and quitting early on with Siefert winning the next one. That is how you get spoiled. Then later , Seifert, BW's choice, wins our 5th SB. That's how you get spoiled some more. Remember, there are still teams that NEVER even got to the SB, and others, who went ,
4 times and lost them all. Actually both the Bills and Vikes did that.

In reality, Coach H inherited a talent laden team, and he knew what to do with the talent. Maybe after a yr he over reached and picked Kap in the second round, thinking he could vastly improve the QB talent. Well, 4 yrs and 2 full seasons and change later, his choice of that Qb and his talents have not been proven out. No question kap has all the physical tools. He has the strength, he has the agility. Initially nobody could defend him and it looked like we would take our first NFCC game in years, JH's first yr, if Harbaugh would have just studied Coughlin across the field who had all his PR stay away from punts....due to the wind, rain and slop at the Stick. Instead, JH made no such call and had KW fielding punts, muffing one and having another touch his leg in the second punt he had no business being anywhere near. So we lose the game and it was a coaching loss, based on JH not being aware of the wind, rain, slop at the Stick, but Coughlin, his counterpart and coaching opponent, knew to keep his PR well away from that dancing, sloppy ball.

Our next playoff loss has been put at the foot of kap, but there were lots of culprits to point at. Frankly, our OC was calling plays like he was, well , calling plays in high school not so many yrs before. Our 3rd and last playoff loss can be laid at the foot of Kap, but the OCing was frankly pathetic. Also, the D gave up 30 pts and it is tough winning playoffs with your D doing that.. Still, kap and roman, got most of the blame. The one name not in there was JH....and it was his OC, all the way thru this that has been the foul ball, the weak link, or whatever you wish to call him. So again, I would say , another coaching loss. IF the OC is awful and doesn't show any improvement over 4 yrs, one has to start thinking HC. And that is where I am. HC has had a hand in our losing 3 SBs. The last two basically, the OC was so bad that it may have been the worst OCing in a playoff game ever. Face it. Roman has no business here and JH won't fire him. TRent brot JH the players kap needed, but romn had no idea what to do with them...or kap was just terrible and this is mainly his fault.

On the kap issue, I am still undecided. kap has been cursed with a horrid OC who seemingly is "learning as he goes", except that learning isn't immediately apparent. So coaching errors and coaching failures on the O side of the ball and people want JH's head. My posts have just been to remind folks that if they were going to blame the OC, they better blame the HC also. They are one and the same. Should he go? If he insists on roman staying DEFINITELY. But that raises the question of why keep someone so bad, someone who just can't get better? Only answer I can come up with is JH doesn't feel comfortable calling plays so he holds onto roman. On his own (it appeared that way in several games)...he didn't really improve the calls. It looks like he has a NO SHOW O with his current OC. A good coach would have had a better man than romn calling plays. The fact he didn't...well, that makes me uncomfortable that he doesn't know the O is effete, the O stinks, the plays stink, the order in which plays are called ...stinks. In fact , it appears neither JH nor romn can call a decent game.

So the question is, do you really want a HC who either doesn't realize the playcalling is grossly insufficient , or just as bad, knows it is bad and can't fix it. Both to me are reasons for OC firing and because JH didn't know there was a problem or knew it and couldn't fix it.....both say fire him from where I sit. Even better, trade him for picks. But we better not get a noln ericksn singletary in return. Trent has brot in the talent...unless kap is just all potential, and folds against the elite teams...so JH should have provided us a SB or two. And he didn't. Ergo, I think he is gone. He will be successful elsewhere, but they aren't going to win a SB. Bet on it. If JH stays, Trent should hire the OC he wants. Period
Originally posted by CWin4949:
2 NFCCG and a Superbowl appearance....in 3 years.....that's what....

this
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Guys, I really think that the problem is not the coaching staff..

I really believe that it's the play of our QB... this team was doing well and great when Kaep was playing well.. .but for some reason, he suddenly got served with some Humble Pie and he came back down to earth..

Kaep can not shake the sudden questions around his skills, the sudden popularty and the overnight success had gotten to his head that he can no longer concentrate on just playing football, instead, he goes into the game believing that he can WILL CARRY THE TEAM ALL BY HIMSELF..
Originally posted by susweel:
2 NFCCG and a Superbowl....in 3 years.....that's what....

This

All he does is win. Except super bowls

lollll
2 NFCCG and a Superbowl....in 3 years.....that's what....

This! End thread.
Originally posted by 9moon:

I really believe that it's the play of our QB... this team was doing well and great when Kaep was playing well.. .but for some reason, he suddenly got served with some Humble Pie and he came back down to earth..

Kaep can not shake the sudden questions around his skills, the sudden popularty and the overnight success had gotten to his head that he can no longer concentrate on just playing football, instead, he goes into the game believing that he can WILL CARRY THE TEAM ALL BY HIMSELF..

That could be because every time we have a big game he ends up carrying us. IJS
2 NFCCG losses and a Superbowl loss....in 3 years.....that's what....

fixed
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
I just think Harbs development of Kaep is taking a toll and isn't progressing the way he had planned. I think that is being overshadowed by the Roman/Harbs play calling fiasco. I honestly feel that trying desperately to open up the passing game by experimenting with the 5-wide stuff earlier in the year screwed up the staple of this team. Its even hard to tell if players have given up. The only one I feel like still plays with heart is Boldin.

I think the niners miss the playoffs this season. Too many distractions and bad offensive football is being played. For them to turn it around now with 4 games left to get into the playoffs, with some help....just seems like a far reach. With the niners winning out, several other things need to happen. Even during the glory years....the niners had off years and didn't make it to the playoffs. This could be that year for the niners.

just one player doesnt bring down a whole offense, which is stacked. kaep isnt a terrible qb by any means. there are plenty of qbs in the league who have worse weapons, are worse than kaep, yet they have offenses functioning at least in games against terrible defenses. not us.
we have the worst margin of victory out of any winning teams in the NFL

only 7 teams have scored less points than the 49ers, and none of them have a winning record, and none of them have the talent that this team has on offense

jets
raiders
bucs
panthers
skins
jags
titans

6 out of 7 of these teams have a bottom 10 scoring defense. most of these teams are talent devoid (jets, jags, raiders, titans) on both sides of the ball

sorry, I dont believe a single player has this much impact on the offense with this much talent. what youre saying is kaep is on geno smith, blake bortles level of bad. sorry, that is not true
The part that is missing is this: you have to get to the big games to win Them! He's gotten us there 3 years in a row. I don't think some of you can appreciate how hard it is to do what he has done! His philosophy is one that's tried and true throughout the history of football, run the ball, great defense, control the clock and limit the turnovers. That spread offense that people have fallen in love with doesn't win in January and February. That's why we have won consistently in the post season. Unfortunately we have had to play a good Seattle team there last year, who Btw plays that same brand of football. You guys can fall in love with that passing crap if you want to but it doesn't go far when it counts.
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Dec 1, 2014 at 2:11 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I have never looked at Kaep in Gino Smith's talent.. Bortels, I will not mention his name because he's only a rookie..

My point here is that WE, here, as a fan, have all seen and now believe that Kaep is just not a pocket passer (yet) the way our coaching staff is making him to be.. Kaep took us to the Super Bowl under the Pistol Offense where he ran ran ran and then throws for some big plays... but we stayed away from that.. we used the PISTOL FORMATION, but w/the intention of making Kaep a drop back pocket passer.. and look what happened..

it shows that he can not read the defense well enough standing in the pocket.

90% of our big plays this year came from him running around or from a broken play..

every teams around the league have learned how to play us by keeping him in the pocket and covering his initial target..
I have never looked at Kaep in Gino Smith's talent.. Bortels, I will not mention his name because he's only a rookie..

My point here is that WE, here, as a fan, have all seen and now believe that Kaep is just not a pocket passer (yet) the way our coaching staff is making him to be.. Kaep took us to the Super Bowl under the Pistol Offense where he ran ran ran and then throws for some big plays... but we stayed away from that.. we used the PISTOL FORMATION, but w/the intention of making Kaep a drop back pocket passer.. and look what happened..

it shows that he can not read the defense well enough standing in the pocket.

90% of our big plays this year came from him running around or from a broken play..

every teams around the league have learned how to play us by keeping him in the pocket and covering his initial target..

you are now moving the goalposts. you were saying the biggest reason for offenses struggles is our qb. now you're talking about kaep's faults.

Ive said, we as offense are doing so bad you cannot possibly lay it all on one player. this is a stacked offense talent-wise, and even qbs who are worse than kaep enjoy a better offense, with less weapons to work with.

this team never needed great qb play to win before. this team won before with same kaepernick and alex smith, who are by no means top qbs in any shape or form.
so why does it require a precise pocket passer now and why do you think this offense sucks because of kaep now ? it doesnt make any sense whatsoever
Not to piss on Jim but it seems like he benefits more from Baalke and the scouts, than they benefit from him. The only coaches I am willing to give any type of credit to is Vic and Tomsula.
Share 49ersWebzone