LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 124 users in the forums

Mid Season Team MVP : So far who is it?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Mid Season Team MVP : So far who is it?

This was the most predictable thread ever. If made a list of the posters i knew were going to try their hardest to deny the QBs the MVP, i woulda named 90% of em.
Originally posted by Phil:
In the Cards game they went back to a no huddle offense when they were down 20 to 14 and it ended with a blocked FG.

And they drove the field again just to have Boldin kill the drive with a head butt, but of course you're not going to mention that part.
[ Edited by WilliamDonovan on Oct 31, 2014 at 3:39 PM ]
I've given my opinion multiple times. Don't really think its the coaching. I've pondered that question because Alex Smith also had some issues, although a different style of play. The coaches actually elevated Smiths play above and beyond his prior level of play. With Kap I think his issues are from playing the read option so long in colledge. He wasnt pro ready. This isn't Kaps fault, and he's progressing some from the pocket but I was expecting more after the offseason, after they brought Witfield in, and Stevie/Lloyd.
. I think the coaches or overall passing game has, in the past, been somewhat limited by Kaps skill set but that is slowly changing. Even so, Kap has had games where he's shown he can make any throw asked of him BUT there's an issue with consistency. Like he naturally reverts back to his colledge mind frame or has a huge WTF moment. I'm thinking he may not have worked with Witfield in the offseason as much as possible. There has been progress but consistency is an issue. Scoring TD's seems like an extremely complicated process. I've detailed some issues in other posts and have also brought up what I think he does a great job at but at the end of the day I'm left with 3 words. Lack of consistency. Is it Romans fault? Not completely. Is it all Kaps fault? Not completly. This season it has been a mixture, Kaps inconsistent play, the o-lines inconsistent play, the inconsistent play from the WR/TE's etc. as I've said overall everyone on offense not named Johnson/Lloyd needs to play better.

Inconsistent play is what the rules of the NFL encourage. It's called balance. An offense has to beat 11 of the most athletic people in the US. They are good to. When they aren't it's easy which would make an offense "inconsistent." This is the nfl you can't reasonably expect kap to put the ball into the webzone everytime we get the ball. These same old criticisms. Kap is one of the most dynamic quarterbacks in the league and when he's on he is downright dangerous. He's young still and as he matures what we see on his worst day will be much closer to what it looks like on his best day.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
MVP = Most Valuable Player

Every qb is the mvp then, aren't they? I think Kap is developing ok in this system, and his current abilities help shape the system. I wouldn't say he's stood out and carried us. his limitations are still there.

No one really is MVP. Maybe Bethea. Maybe Cox. Maybe Phil. if Lynch had say 5-6 sacks I would say him. Justin getting triple teamed would be an mvp candidate, if that caused others to shine, which it really hasn't in an mvp sort of way. Dunno.

No, not every QB. Charles would be the MVP in KC, Watt in Houston, Murray in Dallas, Ellington in AZ, etc.

Originally posted by buck:
The team is 4-3. Maybe, we should have a better record than that, but we do not.

I just find it hard to feel much enthusiasm for this MVP discussion at this point in the season.

We have not even played 50% of the season.

I have opted to withhold my vote, to watch some more games, and see what develops.

But, I do read the thread and find it interesting.

Is this your way of agreeing with me?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
MVP = Most Valuable Player

Every qb is the mvp then, aren't they? I think Kap is developing ok in this system, and his current abilities help shape the system. I wouldn't say he's stood out and carried us. his limitations are still there.

No one really is MVP. Maybe Bethea. Maybe Cox. Maybe Phil. if Lynch had say 5-6 sacks I would say him. Justin getting triple teamed would be an mvp candidate, if that caused others to shine, which it really hasn't in an mvp sort of way. Dunno.

No, not every QB. Charles would be the MVP in KC, Watt in Houston, Murray in Dallas, Ellington in AZ, etc.

The team is 4-3. Maybe, we should have a better record than that, but we do not.

I just find it hard to feel much enthusiasm for this MVP discussion at this point in the season.

We have not even played 50% of the season.

I have opted to withhold my vote, to watch some more games, and see what develops.

But, I do read the thread and find it interesting.

Is this your way of agreeing with me?

I read what you said. I re-read what I wrote.

The obvious answer is no, I am not agreeing with you.

Kaepernick is the most important player on the team. But an MVP award implies excellence. In this first half, CK has fallen well short of that. In fact, against the Bears one could say that he was the sole reason the Niners lost. And a big part of the reason why the team went down against the Cardinals.
Against my expectations at least, he has surprisingly turned his game around in the last two games and if he keeps playing that well, the Niners look good and that level of play will be needed, because the OL has looked like excrement.
It may well be that at seasons end CK will have earned the MVP moniker, but based on his contributions in two unneccesary losses which may prove critical at season's end, he cannot be adjudged MVP in my opinion. That would be Justin Smith, who has been the foundation around which this defense has performed. And performed well until decimated by injuries.
Originally posted by WilliamDonovan:
This was the most predictable thread ever. If made a list of the posters i knew were going to try their hardest to deny the QBs the MVP, i woulda named 90% of em.
If Kap is MVP, I think this is ths case of him just playing the most important position. I won't deny this at all, he is obviously 90% of the time going to be the most crucial guy for us. We are 4-3, his play has been erratic, I don't feel his play has been worthy of any type of award. Why deny guys like Bethea, J. Smith, and Cox the credit they deserve for playing at Pro-Bowl levels? Kap has not played his postion as well as they have played theirs, really not difficult to conclude this. Now we can argue semantics about the true definition of the term MVP or you can admit I am correct. I see no other choice.
I'l give Kap his props though for all the folks who think we hate Kap for being too hip hop and having too many tattoos, we do not hate him at all. He's a young player who has taken many strides this year, I am seeing 'at times', the type of intelligent pocket presence that it will take to bring us #6. Hope he keeps getting better.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Kaepernick is the most important player on the team. But an MVP award implies excellence. In this first half, CK has fallen well short of that. In fact, against the Bears one could say that he was the sole reason the Niners lost. And a big part of the reason why the team went down against the Cardinals.
Against my expectations at least, he has surprisingly turned his game around in the last two games and if he keeps playing that well, the Niners look good and that level of play will be needed, because the OL has looked like excrement.
It may well be that at seasons end CK will have earned the MVP moniker, but based on his contributions in two unneccesary losses which may prove critical at season's end, he cannot be adjudged MVP in my opinion. That would be Justin Smith, who has been the foundation around which this defense has performed. And performed well until decimated by injuries.

This is a very reasonable post.
I read what you said. I re-read what I wrote.

The obvious answer is no, I am not agreeing with you.

The hack emoticons are beneath you.

My opinion that there is no MVP so far. How is it you don't agree? I think we do. It's so rare, I thought to point it out.
Originally posted by T-9ers:

This is a very reasonable post.

Agree. Yes it is. I think it exactly captures the situation with Kap. I think, it also begs the question can Kap (or any other qb) grow and flourish in this offensive system, but that's another topic.

It's up to each of us to pick our MVP, but we can probably agree more on who our great players are...or not! LOL! Here's my list of levels of greatness.

Already Great
1st (arguably best in NFL)
Justin Smith
Patrick Willis
NoVorro Bowman
Aldon Smith

2nd (totally solid--year in, year out)
Frank Gore
Anquan Boldin
Ahmad Brooks

3rd (all pro capable)
Vernon Davis
Steve Johnson
Joe Staley

Potential
1st
Kapernick (will be best in NFL?)
Hyde (good, if he learns from Gore--great)
Reid (rookie starter-solid future or star?)
Lynch (already shows potential greatness)

2nd
Ellington (speed and elusiveness)
A Davis (with health, has the physical ability to be great)
Boone (already good--soon great?)

Not sure what to do with Osgood, who is weirdly good on special teams! Left guys off but this is just a fun, off the cuff list!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 1, 2014 at 9:28 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Perrish Cox or Stevie Johnson.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Kaep
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WilliamDonovan:
In the Cards game they went back to a no huddle offense when they were down 20 to 14 and it ended with a blocked FG.

And they drove the field again just to have Boldin kill the drive with a head butt, but of course you're not going to mention that part.

I was answering this statement:

" Hell, if they would have just let him continue with that no-huddle spread, they probably would have run away with the game - every time they went to that offense, Kaepernick just dinked and dunked it up and down the field - they simply were unable to stop the Niners offense when they were running that formation and I don't know why Roman and Harbaugh didn't just stick with it and force them to stop it."

That they went back to it.
  • Phil
  • Veteran

How was he the big reason we lost to the Cards? Elaborate.
Share 49ersWebzone