There are 206 users in the forums

Is it FINALLY time to drop Culliver on the depth chart? We should have...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He's just on everyone's s**t list at this point. He's always been better in the 2nd half of games than in the 1st half and that remains to be true.

The td he gave up yesterday everybody was fooled it was just a great play. one we could have run a few times on the rams as they were selling out on the run on in short yard situations too.

in the 2nd half was there anything he wasn't on?

It is true he is better as a press corner but we haven't played press all year long. And that's kind of because we had no pass rush. Press disrupts the timing of the routes and the pressure gets there so the whole thing is messed up.

Way too early to give up on a dude who has not been a major liability or the person you can just point to as costing us games.

You'd have a way better argument for Ward in the bears game than any point this year for Culliver.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Cully is basically Nate Clements 2.0

Nate would tackle and was a force in run support for the most part. Just don't see that from cully atm
Originally posted by Allx9er:

Nate would tackle and was a force in run support for the most part. Just don't see that from cully atm

Cully can tackle! He just gets lost when he has to cover for more than 4 seconds, just like Nate!
Originally posted by CMIO:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
If Cully plays 10-15 yards off his receiver this week, Peyton will have a field day with the slants, quick outs, QB screens, and in routes.

This is unacceptable. Both Ward and Culliver are liabilities; unfortunately, we don't have the personnel to fill their roles bc of injuries

#2 pass defense in the league, dude...That doesn't happen if two members of the secondary are "liabilities".

Can they be beat? Yes. Are they liabilities? No.

Number 2 bc we boast a great LB corp and our safeties are playing lights out. We've allowed the fewest 20+ yard pass plays this year, and I give full credit to Bethea, Reid, and Cox for that. Ward is too green to cover number one or even number two receivers, and Culliver to me is an accident waiting to happen. He plays way off his receiver, exposing himself to the short pass and then when the receivers go deep on him he can't locate the ball. You don't think Peyton sees this on gamefilm ? He's gonna carve Cully up.

Watch the Philly game, dude. The entire secondary was outstanding, including Cully. Stop gloating over the negative. Everyone gets beat. More often than not he has good coverage.

He plays off-coverage because that's the SCHEME. Notice how all the corners play off-coverage under Fangio. Big passing plays against us are few and far between, and we rely on excellent tackling to prevent YAC. It's been VERY successful. Hence the #2 pass coverage rank.

D-Line, LBs, Secondary...they're ALL executing at a high level.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Oct 14, 2014 at 5:01 PM ]
  • CMIO
If Cully plays 10-15 yards off his receiver this week, Peyton will have a field day with the slants, quick outs, QB screens, and in routes.

This is unacceptable. Both Ward and Culliver are liabilities; unfortunately, we don't have the personnel to fill their roles bc of injuries

#2 pass defense in the league, dude...That doesn't happen if two members of the secondary are "liabilities".

Can they be beat? Yes. Are they liabilities? No.

Number 2 bc we boast a great LB corp and our safeties are playing lights out. We've allowed the fewest 20+ yard pass plays this year, and I give full credit to Bethea, Reid, and Cox for that. Ward is too green to cover number one or even number two receivers, and Culliver to me is an accident waiting to happen. He plays way off his receiver, exposing himself to the short pass and then when the receivers go deep on him he can't locate the ball. You don't think Peyton sees this on gamefilm ? He's gonna carve Cully up.

Watch the Philly game, dude. The entire secondary was outstanding, including Cully. Stop gloating over the negative. Everyone gets beat. More often than not he has good coverage.

He plays off-coverage because that's the SCHEME. Notice how all the corners play off-coverage under Fangio. Big passing plays against us are few and far between, and we rely on excellent tackling to prevent YAC. It's been VERY successful. Hence the #2 pass coverage rank.

D-Line, LBs, Secondary...they're ALL executing at a high level.

Guess we'll find out this Sunday
It will be interesting to see what happens when Brock gets back. Cox has been playing out of his mind, they need to keep him where he's at.

That leaves Culliver, who is prone to the occasional brain fart, but overall has been pretty decent. I understand people will eternally hate him for the SB, but for the most part he's holding his own. Last night was the 1st TD he gave up on the season. It's one thing if he's getting picked on repeatedly, but he's not. There are plenty of plays on film where he has good coverage. His yards given up, and cmp % against him, are nearly identical to Cox, but he doesn't make plays on the ball like Cox does.

The secondary is performing extremely well as a UNIT. I don't want to mess with that group right now. Communication is key and these guys know what they're doing out there. No reason to make a change after we get hit on one well designed play-action.

100% this! Everybody hates Culliver since the SB but he's played well.
Guess we'll find out this Sunday

Sure will.
Originally posted by Allx9er:

Cully can tackle! He just gets lost when he has to cover for more than 4 seconds, just like Nate!

Can not and agreed
TBF, I didn't see the TD as a "brain fart" so much as it was an excellent play design forcing us to be aggressive on the run defense to stop them on 3rd and short and they rolled their QB out with a player out wide...Cully was stuck in no-man's land...he either steps forward to run defend a possible QB keeper or instantly drops back with a WR sprinting by him...one step forward meant he was done for. But the play design put him in a tough spot much like Brooks the other day where he either stays with the TE and stays in coverage or abandon and burst up field to blast the QB. Designs like this are common in the RZ as well.

BUT, that said, he's not playing physical at ALL which is his game. Ever since he got that concussion he's played very soft. I don't know if that's coaching or him?
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
He's just on everyone's s**t list at this point. He's always been better in the 2nd half of games than in the 1st half and that remains to be true.

The td he gave up yesterday everybody was fooled it was just a great play. one we could have run a few times on the rams as they were selling out on the run on in short yard situations too.

in the 2nd half was there anything he wasn't on?

It is true he is better as a press corner but we haven't played press all year long. And that's kind of because we had no pass rush. Press disrupts the timing of the routes and the pressure gets there so the whole thing is messed up.

Way too early to give up on a dude who has not been a major liability or the person you can just point to as costing us games.

You'd have a way better argument for Ward in the bears game than any point this year for Culliver.

Good eye. This one would have worked for us all day esp. on those 4th downs.

I'm not saying to give up on him. If some believe he is good, then he could always compete to get his starting job back.

Do many in here believe that Culliver is starting because of his play in previous seasons and his performances in training camp and preseason? Or is it because of our investment and seniority..and hoping for the best.

If Culliver doesn't play well against Denver, then yes I believe a change will be made during the by week.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I'm not saying to give up on him. If some believe he is good, then he could always compete to get his starting job back.

Do many in here believe that Culliver is starting because of his play in previous seasons and his performances in training camp and preseason? Or is it because of our investment and seniority..and hoping for the best.

If Culliver doesn't play well against Denver, then yes I believe a change will be made during the by week.

OK, honestly, when was the last time we made a personnel change when a player wasn't performing up to standards (cough, Boone, cough)? Even when we clearly had a better player behind them (well, one we all thought so...like Cox over Rogers, Brooks over Lawson, etc.).
He looks slooooooow.
you guys over exaggerate everything

he's not that bad, he's solid. perrish cox is just making everyone look worse cuz of how good he's been
Share 49ersWebzone