There are 207 users in the forums

8 & 8 and wondering..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
UGH!! UGH!! UGH...!!!!!!!
Originally posted by DavidWGibson:
Originally posted by Niners816:
A 8-8 season would make Jim's record 44-19-1. Guys that are 25 games over .500 in 4 seasons have job security.

Not when your team was generally considered one of the best in the NFL, were pegged to win the Super Bowl three years in a row, and the core of your team is aging, closing the window on your chances of winning...

So that means Jim harbaugh should get the boot? Sorry but your logic fails. Look at Tom Coughlin or Bill Belichick
Originally posted by defenderDX:
A 8-8 season would make Jim's record 44-19-1. Guys that are 25 games over .500 in 4 seasons have job security.

Not when your team was generally considered one of the best in the NFL, were pegged to win the Super Bowl three years in a row, and the core of your team is aging, closing the window on your chances of winning...

So that means Jim harbaugh should get the boot? Sorry but your logic fails. Look at Tom Coughlin or Bill Belichick

I know this fire harbaugh narrative is such b******t. I don't care how strong the roster is perceived to be. I just feel like we are getting trolled.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 26, 2014 at 10:58 AM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:

But it was a cool story, right?
Originally posted by crake49:
But it was a cool story, right?

Exactly, this story where there is an endless supply of top tier head coaches. Truth is there is like 5-6 top level guys and even those guys don't win games at a 75% clip like jim has.

Of course Trent can be such a ninja maybe he is gonna go steal one of those guys.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM ]
Three games into the season and already posters are calling for or implying that the team will sack Harbaugh and/or Baalke.

The Unfaithful?
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Good question! Jimmy's a good coach and a good X's and O's type of guy but so was Marty Schottenheimer...will Jimmy ever be able to get over that hump and win the big game? He has never done it as a player or a college coach so I keep wondering if he can do it as the 49ers head coach??? only time will tell...
Flashback: 1987 - the Niners have the #1 offense and the #1 defense - they have home field advantage throughout the playoffs - they are easily the overwhelming favorites to win the Super Bowl...

They get completely taken by the Wild Card Vikings in the first playoff game for their third straight one-and-done performance in the playoffs. Eddie D. throws a tantrum and knocks over the coke machine outside the locker room. After three years as the favorites to win another Super Bowl and then completely blowing it in the playoffs, this is completely unacceptable!

And that's why the Niners fired Walsh on the spot and moved on to another coach. That's what NFL franchises do. No matter how generally successful a team is, if you don't win it all, fire everyone and change course.
Originally posted by Chico:
Good question! Jimmy's a good coach and a good X's and O's type of guy but so was Marty Schottenheimer...will Jimmy ever be able to get over that hump and win the big game? He has never done it as a player or a college coach so I keep wondering if he can do it as the 49ers head coach??? only time will tell...

Marty's playoff record: 5-13
Harbaugh's playoff record: 5-3
Originally posted by crake49:
Flashback: 1987 - the Niners have the #1 offense and the #1 defense - they have home field advantage throughout the playoffs - they are easily the overwhelming favorites to win the Super Bowl...

They get completely taken by the Wild Card Vikings in the first playoff game for their third straight one-and-done performance in the playoffs. Eddie D. throws a tantrum and knocks over the coke machine outside the locker room. After three years as the favorites to win another Super Bowl and then completely blowing it in the playoffs, this is completely unacceptable!

And that's why the Niners fired Walsh on the spot and moved on to another coach. That's what NFL franchises do. No matter how generally successful a team is, if you don't win it all, fire everyone and change course.

I guarantee you that 1987 squad was more stacked than any roster we've had under harbaugh and I consider walsh the greatest coach ever. Best talent doesn't always win titles or as a franchise we would have like 10 championships. Hell, recently very flawed teams have won it all. It more rare when a stacked team does win it all.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 26, 2014 at 11:08 AM ]

I guarantee you that 1987 squad was more stacked than any roster we've had under harbaugh. Best talent doesn't always win titles or as a franchise we would have like 10 championships. Hell, recently very flawed teams have won it all. It more rare when a stacked team does win it all.

Right. That's the thing. It's chaos. Things happen. Players have bad games. Other teams get hot and play out of their minds. Key players have injuries. Nobody could ever convince me that the 2012 team would have surrendered over 30 points a game in the playoffs if both the Smith's hadn't been hobbled by injuries. If that defense plays at the end of the season like they did for the first half, the Niners just roll to their sixth title.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Guys,

I bring up this topic because if you look around our division alone, it seems like our team is the only one that's going the opposite directions. Both the Rams and Cards are a QB away from being a threat and that's the truth..

Both are young, hungry and their coaches just seems to know how to build a team that suites the division well, then for the conference.

The more I look at our team, the more I see the players we let go and the players we tried to replaced them with. It took a while to build our defense, we waited until they developed, then the next thing you know, the very same players we waited to developed, we let them walk..

We had 3 years of a chance to run the table in the draft, but we didn't.. instead of getting aggresive and pin donw the player we should have, we instead, sat still and pocketed more picks while drafting the WRONG guys..

Those wrong guys are no longer w/us, but at the same time, the extra picked we gained were used the wrong way.. we used them to pick up players in HOPE that can replace the once we developed. We had the power to use the extra picks to land what I would call IMPACT PLAYERS, but we did not do so..

Our GM fell inlove w/the idea of finding players in the late round, instead of trying to land players that can help us while we are contending and takeover once the veterans are ready to go..

Messing around on the side, if we go 8 & 8 or below that this year, and if I were Jed York, i'd get rid of both Baalke and Jim.... I'm not gonna wait again until this team gets passed on in our division, and watch another 5 years of developmenta stage.
Originally posted by 9moon:

Messing around on the side, if we go 8 & 8 or below that this year, and if I were Jed York, i'd get rid of both Baalke and Jim.... I'm not gonna wait again until this team gets passed on in our division, and watch another 5 years of developmenta stage.

And THAT'S the best reason to be damn glad you're NOT Jed York.
I think we can all agree that this season will somewhat depend on this next game against Philly. I mean, if the team looks like it has over the past 2 weeks again this coming Sunday, then this season will seriously be in jeopardy. I think all true fans have faith that the Niners have and are working to fix up their issues, but the team has to follow that work up with results (wins). It isn't that if they don't that there is no chance at all that they make the playoffs this year, but history will not be on the side of the Niners starting 1-3. An 8-8 or 9-7 season, although would probably signify not making the playoffs this year, wouldn't necessarily indicate that the team will be floundering for years to come. There is a great core of players on this team, with good (finally) ownership, management, and coaching. Things will get fixed whether it happens enough this year to salvage the season or not.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
to each his own @ crake...

I don't see you being a realist, just one blind fan.. or maybe related to one of those guys in the front office or in the coaching box..
Share 49ersWebzone