LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 157 users in the forums

Cards week 3 coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
He did throw the flag for illegal hands to the face. But, it should have been holding. I was yelling holding at the tv. One of the many questionable calls

That's correct. I forgot to clarify when posters were saying no flag was thrown. It was illegal hands called on the offense. Declined and ARI punted. And yes, there was offensive holding on the play - not called.

#74 is holding Lemon.

Yup. I froze the same exact frame during the game (there was a commercial break right after the punt) and was telling my buddy how did the ref not see the hold? He's staring right at it! I don't know if would have mattered but still c'mon
Originally posted by jonnydel:
The problem with stunts is that they have to be called on obvious passing situations - 3rd and long kind of thing. Because if you call a stunt and the other team is running at that stunt - you're screwed. Calling a lot of stunts on anything but obvious passing situations is a major gamble - you're much better off blitzing. Also, you can't stunt on every passing down because then it's expected every passing down and it's no longer effective.

That being said, we do call a fair amount of stunts whenever we can and the situation allows. We also blitzed 14 times. Fangio was doing a lot to try and manufacture a rush, but if your stunts are picked up and the other guys can't with their 1-1's, there's nothing a D-Coordinator can do.

as to size: Ray Mac is something like 310, he's over 300 I know that. But, size doesn't always give you an advantage in pass rush. Think of Vince Wilfork - if size mattered(no pun intended......) then he should be one of the most dominant pass rushers in the league. The Giants, last time they won the superbowl, had a "nascar" package where they put 4 DE's in on the D-line to rush the passer and it was a dominant group. None of those guys were over 280.

Honestly, unless someone shows up and starts ballin', I don't see us getting much more of a pass rush until Aldon comes back - which makes his egregious suspension length even worse.

I really wish they had done something more in the offseason to bolster the pass rush. I know they had a lot of areas to work on, but that's one that I think we're going to really have to hit hard next year. A great pass rush can cover a multitude of sins on defense.

jd, I think raymac is about 290 or so:

Date of birth: (1984-09-02) September 2, 1984 (age 30)Place of birth: Pahokee, FloridaHeight: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)Weight: 290 lb (132 kg)
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
A flare out would take too long to read. There was a hell of a pass rush and he was near the goal line. It would have to be his first read in that situation.

I'm talking more in general, I understand that particular situation it was more hurried up and he did hit the slant.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
A flare out would take too long to read. There was a hell of a pass rush and he was near the goal line. It would have to be his first read in that situation.

I'm talking more in general, I understand that particular situation it was more hurried up and he did hit the slant.

Here's that play:
To Kap's left is double slants - normally used to bust man coverage.
To his right is a triangle stretch. Curl-Flat + Smash. Since the triangle stretch was not ran from a bunch formation, there is no man busting element to this route combination, so I consider it just a zone busting concept.
This is a pick a side play that allows Kap to initially look either left or right depending on his pre-snap read of the defense. Kap's pre-snap read was man coverage and so he went to the left. We can't put this on Kap to not find the flare out to the flat. I was just pointing out that the flats were available to attack. The 49ers tried twice on screens. Could have tried it again a few other times, with this play being an example of how available the flat was.

Since ARI was playing a hybrid coverage, Kap could have looked to either side and found someone open.
[ Edited by thl408 on Sep 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Here's that play:
To Kap's left is double slants - normally used to bust man coverage.
To his right is a triangle stretch. Curl-Flat + Smash. Since the triangle stretch was not ran from a bunch formation, there is no man busting element to this route combination, so I consider it just a zone busting concept.
This is a pick a side play that allows Kap to initially look either left or right depending on this pre-snap read of the defense. Kap's pre-snap read was man coverage and so he went to the left. We can't put this on Kap to not find the flare out to the flat. I was just pointing out that the flats were available to attack. The 49ers tried twice on screens. Could have tried it again a few other times, with this play being an example of how available the flat was.

Since ARI was playing a hybrid coverage, Kap could have looked to either side and found someone open.

Great breakdown....as I stated, we must find a way to exploit the flats. Doing that will help open everything else up.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Yup. I froze the same exact frame during the game (there was a commercial break right after the punt) and was telling my buddy how did the ref not see the hold? He's staring right at it! I don't know if would have mattered but still c'mon

Ray Mac beat his wife and therefore can't be illegally held.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:
Great breakdown....as I stated, we must find a way to exploit the flats. Doing that will help open everything else up.

Agreed. I think with Kap having a green light to scramble, teams will keep a spy (or two) in the middle of the field, even if they are playing man coverage on the outside. With a defender assigned to spy (zone in the middle), that's less ability to cover the flats. Attack those flats and widen out those defenders in the middle of the field, which then provides better throwing lanes to routes over the middle. They don't even need to throw to the flats often. Just two or three plays a game where Hyde/Ellington can get some room to run and defenses will have to start adjusting.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
The problem with stunts is that they have to be called on obvious passing situations - 3rd and long kind of thing. Because if you call a stunt and the other team is running at that stunt - you're screwed. Calling a lot of stunts on anything but obvious passing situations is a major gamble - you're much better off blitzing. Also, you can't stunt on every passing down because then it's expected every passing down and it's no longer effective.

That being said, we do call a fair amount of stunts whenever we can and the situation allows. We also blitzed 14 times. Fangio was doing a lot to try and manufacture a rush, but if your stunts are picked up and the other guys can't with their 1-1's, there's nothing a D-Coordinator can do.

as to size: Ray Mac is something like 310, he's over 300 I know that. But, size doesn't always give you an advantage in pass rush. Think of Vince Wilfork - if size mattered(no pun intended......) then he should be one of the most dominant pass rushers in the league. The Giants, last time they won the superbowl, had a "nascar" package where they put 4 DE's in on the D-line to rush the passer and it was a dominant group. None of those guys were over 280.

Honestly, unless someone shows up and starts ballin', I don't see us getting much more of a pass rush until Aldon comes back - which makes his egregious suspension length even worse.

I really wish they had done something more in the offseason to bolster the pass rush. I know they had a lot of areas to work on, but that's one that I think we're going to really have to hit hard next year. A great pass rush can cover a multitude of sins on defense.

jd, I think raymac is about 290 or so:

Date of birth: (1984-09-02) September 2, 1984 (age 30)Place of birth: Pahokee, FloridaHeight: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)Weight: 290 lb (132 kg)

I think the club was probably counting on Lemonier to make a step up in year 2 (hasn't happened), Carradine to come on (hasn't happened), and they didn't anticipate Ahmad Brooks coming in out of shape. They did draft Aaron Lynch for what it's worth....
Share 49ersWebzone