There are 160 users in the forums

Webzone Preseason MVP

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by buck:
Come on.

Last year, maybe a few liked Lavelle Hawkins; a couple may have been mad that he was cut, but nobody came close to anointing Hawkins....

LOL, so many people lost their s**t and absolutely freaked out. It was endless tears about Hawkins because he had a big 4th quarter versus Chargers scrubs. The same thing happens every single preseason after final cuts, it'll happen this year as well.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 29, 2014 at 10:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Come on.

Last year, maybe a few liked Lavelle Hawkins; a couple may have been mad that he was cut, but nobody came close to anointing Hawkins....

LOL, so many people lost their s**t and absolutely freaked out. Come on now, it was endless tears about Hawkins because he had a big 4th quarter versus Chargers scrubs.

While cc is a persistent and emotional poster, i don't believe he has multiple personalities.
  • thl408
Boone is a huge Looney hater right now. Too bad, so sad.
Originally posted by crake49:
Actually, I think this preseason has been more meaningful than most. We've seen strong evidence that:

- Kaepernick is finding check down receivers and has progressed at going through reads
- Carlos Hyde can definitely play at this level
- Bruce Ellington can definitely play at this level
- Chris Borland can play at this level
- Carradine and Dial have come on strong and are going to be big factors for D-line depth
- Lemonier has progressed to the point where he may be a three-down LB
- Chris Cook and Jonathan Martin may have just needed a change of scenery
- Aaron Lynch is going to be a factor either this season or next season
- Looney can definitely play the right guard position in a possibly better all around manner than Boone because he can effectively pull.

I'm sure I've left some things out, but right off the top of my head, that's what I've seen and it's all meaningful.

This and Joe Looney is very effective at the center position (as recognized last night!)
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
While cc is a persistent and emotional poster, i don't believe he has multiple personalities.

Go back into those threads, you had people b***hing like crazy. "OMG, HE'S SUCH AN ELECTRIC PLAYER, WE BLEW IT....THANKS BAALKE!"
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Go back into those threads, you had people b***hing like crazy. "OMG, HE'S SUCH AN ELECTRIC PLAYER, WE BLEW IT....THANKS BAALKE!"

Yeah, i remember. Just wanted to leave a joke for cc.

Really, once the season starts, most of us with pre-season favorites won't give a damn.
There are always those vocal few, though.

I rmember the Hawkins talk appearing more when we only had Boldin at WR early on...
LOL, so many people lost their s**t and absolutely freaked out. It was endless tears about Hawkins because he had a big 4th quarter versus Chargers scrubs. The same thing happens every single preseason after final cuts, it'll happen this year as well.

Haha, yep. Here's one of the threads: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/mobile/index.php?num=173995&page=18

Someone even said it would be "beyond stupid" to cut him.

Another Hawkins scouting report from that thread: "this guy has swagger, real swagger. Its what makes him tick. some players you really cant bottle."

And yes, I've said plenty of dumb things about guys who turned out to be bums too. I usually reserve my biased defenses for guys who make the 53-man roster, though.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Aug 29, 2014 at 12:31 PM ]
Ellington for O (Vance and Hyde runners up), Borland for D (nod to cook and lynch too).
  • buck
  • Veteran
Come on.

I would say that posters who were upset about the cutting of Hawkins greatly exaggerated the import of his play in preseason games.

But, it was hardly 1/2 of the forum as claimed.

Preseason games are one tool, and a useful tool, used to evaluate players. The importance of the preseason games for fans looms large, larger than it should, because, we do not see the practices.

Veteran players need to judged on the totality of their time in the NFL. Hawkin's two good plays in the preseason should not have obscured his relatively mundane NFL production.

For rookies, the preseason games do have, at least in my opinion, more significance. I would say that for rookies the preseason games are the post-draft equivalent of the Senior Bowl.

In a similar vein, I would argue that a veteran player's college production should be given less weight than his NFL production.

[ Edited by buck on Aug 29, 2014 at 9:47 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone