There are 216 users in the forums

2014 Roster cut down part one

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think the hers kinda screwed a few players this off season. By taking so many picks when so few had a chance to make the team, the guys they let go may never get another shot. Sure some will, but I bet some one gets screwed. Oh well, bummer for them, we are going to kick ass with all this talent.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
The San Francisco 49ers announced on Monday that they have waived the following seven players: quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson, safety D.J. Campbell, tight end Kevin Greene, running backJewel Hampton, punt Colton Schmidt, linebacker Kion Wilson and wide receiver Devon Wylie. The team also released wide receiver David Reed.

hampton gives smith a better chance to win a spot.

Pssh Smith.....Winston for President! Preseason MVP after 2 quarters of football!
hal,, almost at korey sheet status in the zone! almost.. unlike smith,, winston has to show he can run, block, catch out of the back field and play special teams against someone other than guys who will be working the midnight shift at truck trader next week!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I think the hers kinda screwed a few players this off season. By taking so many picks when so few had a chance to make the team, the guys they let go may never get another shot. Sure some will, but I bet some one gets screwed. Oh well, bummer for them, we are going to kick ass with all this talent.

some of these guys may end up with another team,, for some i bet it was just a thrill to be in a niner uniform for a while and make some decent money
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Back in 05 all these players we just cut would make the team lol
thats back when jimmy maxwell was our best linebacker and johnny morton was a starting wide out
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Depth is a nice problem to have. They'll need contributions from guys like Wilhoite and Lemonier until some of the starters are back.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/49ers-announce-roster-moves-2/

"Blake Costanzo was released from IR"

Yeah I think Reed and Wiley could make a few teams as a #5 or 6. I think Schmidt should have got a job last year hopefully he gets one this year. Guy spent the last 2 pre seasons averaging 50 plus. Costanzo I didn't see why we would put on IR in the first place other than to have the first chance to re-sign him if we wanted him back and also I figured would be a good guy to have on the sidelines like a another ST assistant (of course wouldn't be playing). I guess we would rather have the 400-500k than pay him to be a mentor.

These should be a majority of the players cut next round:
Asante Cleveland
Lance Lewis
Kyle Nelson
Al Netter
Michael Phillip
Tukuafu
Chase Thomas
L'Damian Washington
Glenn Winston
Mike Purcell
Shane Skov

The last 11 should come from this group: (Also, Dorsey IR-Designated to Return or IR will free up 1 roster spot)
Alfonso Smith - Very Slim chance #4 RB
Kenneth Acker - Slim Chance for #7 CB, Very Slim for #6
Carter Bykowski - Slim Chance for #7 or 8 OL
Dillon Farrell - Slim chance due to Martin being hurt but no IR hurts chance
Josh Johnson - Small Chance at 2nd QB
Demarcus Dobbs - Small Chance at 7th DL Due to 1.3 mil salary
James McCray - Small chance at #4 or 5 S
Lawrence Okoye - Small Chance #7 DL
Ryan Seymour - Decent chance #7 or 8 OL
Adam Snyder - Decent Chance #7 or 8 ol
Jonathan Martin - Solid chance #7 or 8 OL
Craig Dahl/Ventrone/Spillman (1 or 2 of these guys will make it)
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 25, 2014 at 8:09 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by TyCore:
Dahl made the cut.

theres one more cut left

I also see one more cut that needs to be made.

The team roster page also has 76 players on the active roster; that leaves one more cut.

http://www.49ers.com/team/roster.html
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah I think Reed and Wiley could make a few teams as a #5 or 6. I think Schmidt should have got a job last year hopefully he gets one this year. Guy spent the last 2 pre seasons averaging 50 plus. Costanzo I didn't see why we would put on IR in the first place other than to have the first chance to re-sign him if we wanted him back and also I figured would be a good guy to have on the sidelines like a another ST assistant (of course wouldn't be playing). I guess we would rather have the 400-500k than pay him to be a mentor.

These should be a majority of the players cut next round:
Asante Cleveland
Lance Lewis
Kyle Nelson
Al Netter
Michael Phillip
Tukuafu
Chase Thomas
L'Damian Washington
Glenn Winston
Mike Purcell
Shane Skov

That last 11 should come from this group:
Alfonso Smith - Very Slim chance #4 RB
Kenneth Acker - Slim Chance for #7 CB, Very Slim for #6
Carter Bykowski - Slim Chance for #7 or 8 OL
Dillon Farrell - Slim chance due to Martin being hurt but no IR hurts chance
Josh Johnson - Small Chance at 2nd QB
Demarcus Dobbs - Small Chance at 7th DL Due to 1.3 mil salary
James McCray - Small chance at #4 or 5 S
Lawrence Okoye - Small Chance #7 DL
Ryan Seymour - Decent chance #7 or 8 OL
Adam Snyder - Decent Chance #7 or 8 ol
Jonathan Martin - Solid chance #7 or 8 OL
Craig Dahl/Ventrone/Spillman (1 or 2 of these guys will make it)

Good list. Money REALLY has to have an effect on the 53 now which is why some of the ones you listed, have a much better chance of making it this year vs. the past (bolded). As an example, if we kept Snyder, his salary is $1.3M which is the cost of keeping Marcus Martin, Ryan Seymour and Kenneth Acker. The same applies to guys like Dahl, Ventrone and Spillman. Expensive for just STers! Right now, McCray is our #1 gunner this preseason so will he make it over Spillman and then provide real backup SS skills? Okoye over Dobbs...stuff like that. Too bad Johnson's contract is 1/4 the size of Gabbert's. Gabbert may rework his contract though if he makes it. Or cutting him will be worth the $2.5M+ to keep Johnson and have him sign a 3-year cheap backup deal. All sorts of factors now with big contracts coming up including Crabtree.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 25, 2014 at 8:07 PM ]
Guys figured it out... Boone is on the roster on the official site but doesn't count as a roster spot until he returns. We are at 75

Guys figured it out... Boone is on the roster on the official site but doesn't count as a roster spot until he returns. We are at 75

Good call.
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/8/25/6066841/glenn-winston-alfonso-smith-jewel-hampton-49ers-53-man-roster
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Good call.

Thank you.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Good list. Money REALLY has to have an effect on the 53 now which is why some of the ones you listed, have a much better chance of making it this year vs. the past (bolded). As an example, if we kept Snyder, his salary is $1.3M which is the cost of keeping Marcus Martin, Ryan Seymour and Kenneth Acker. The same applies to guys like Dahl, Ventrone and Spillman. Expensive for just STers! Right now, McCray is our #1 gunner this preseason so will he make it over Spillman and then provide real backup SS skills? Okoye over Dobbs...stuff like that. Too bad Johnson's contract is 1/4 the size of Gabbert's. Gabbert may rework his contract though if he makes it. Or cutting him will be worth the $2.5M+ to keep Johnson and have him sign a 3-year cheap backup deal. All sorts of factors now with big contracts coming up including Crabtree.

I agree we can save a lot of money with those moves. It's a fine line though as we found out in 2012 with ST of getting rid of too many ST only guys. I think I'd keep Osgood and possibly 1 of Spillman/Ventrone plus adding Borland as a st ace hopeful. As for the other moves I think Dobbs is gone, I think Snyder should be gone, would be nice to restructure Gabbert if he is the #2 but probably would have happened already. Like you said with the extension of Crabtree, Boone or Iupati, Culliver, etc we could use all the money we can get. I honestly wish we would re-structure Gore and possibly add another year to help re-sign those guys. I think Gore would have gladly done that not sure why we didn't ask.
I have an obscure procedure question if anybody has an idea. Assuming Aldon Smith is suspended, can he be put on the Reserve/Suspended List before final cuts or do we have to have him on the roster through final cuts before deactivating him? Obviously it would suck to expose an extra player to waivers.
Share 49ersWebzone