There are 75 users in the forums

who should we keep

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by nannite:
Lloyd and SJ are essentially competing for the third WR spot.

Osgood is competing with Ventrone for the sole pure-ST spot.

The way I see it, the 49ers arent keeping more than 6 WR's. Crabtree, Boldin, Patton and Ellington are locks. Johnson should be a lock as well, that leaves Lloyd and Osgood in vying for the final WR spot.

Yup...if we have defensive kids who look good on special teams Osgood is a gonner. But if we think that we need some shoring up in the kicking game...Lloyd gets sent home and told to wait by the phone.
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
patton does not get separation ..teams like seattle will man handle him ..

First off, there is only one team like Seattle and that's Seattle. Secondly, given how the refs are enforcing rules this season, we'll see if Seattle's defense plays with the same dominance as they did in the past. Third, Patton has shown a lot of promise and has a future here in San Francisco. Patton is one of the four locks to make it as a receiver.
Originally posted by 9moon:
we need new blood, we need young talent, and these who I'd like to see as a 49er when the season starts. ..

McCray over Spillman and/or Cox - LJ is younger for sure, he's more hungry, can be as good in special team, and this guy hits anything that moves.. Spillman will never start for our team, while McCray may just have a future at the SS position.

Seymour over Snyder - it's time for Snyder to hang it up.. if not here, then some place else.. he has no future while Seymour can be our next hidden gem much like Boone was.

Chase over Skuta - tho Skuta played very solidly for ust last year, I think Chase can bring more to the table if given the chance..

Lloyd - i just don't see how he can make our team better over the other young WRs that will end up watching the game while Lloyd plays..

Okoye - should we give up on him, and hope that Seattle don't pick him up?

Aside from Spillman, Dahl, Vantrone & Cox, I really like the secondary..

Eh....Cox is actually quietly having a really good preseason and we need one guy who has been around for more than a year or two at corner.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
the cb in KC is the only one that really comes to mind

And he was horrible down the stretch for KC but people make it sound like the 49ers coughed up Deion Sanders.

Pretty much. Cooper was a guy to develop, just like Darryl Morris. Should he have been kept? Absolutely, but I'm not mad at Baalke for going with a proven vet at the time verses a raw rookie.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
the cb in KC is the only one that really comes to mind

And he was horrible down the stretch for KC but people make it sound like the 49ers coughed up Deion Sanders.

Pretty much. Cooper was a guy to develop, just like Darryl Morris. Should he have been kept? Absolutely, but I'm not mad at Baalke for going with a proven vet at the time verses a raw rookie.
He was the prime example of someone playing over their head for a short stretch and it made people crazy that it happened so soon after we let him go. But I will be really surprised if he ever sustainably reaches that level of play going forward. He always had to look to me of sombody who could develop into a starter, but would take some time.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
we need new blood, we need young talent, and these who I'd like to see as a 49er when the season starts. ..

McCray over Spillman and/or Cox - LJ is younger for sure, he's more hungry, can be as good in special team, and this guy hits anything that moves.. Spillman will never start for our team, while McCray may just have a future at the SS position.

Seymour over Snyder - it's time for Snyder to hang it up.. if not here, then some place else.. he has no future while Seymour can be our next hidden gem much like Boone was.

Chase over Skuta - tho Skuta played very solidly for ust last year, I think Chase can bring more to the table if given the chance..

Lloyd - i just don't see how he can make our team better over the other young WRs that will end up watching the game while Lloyd plays..

Okoye - should we give up on him, and hope that Seattle don't pick him up?

Aside from Spillman, Dahl, Vantrone & Cox, I really like the secondary..

Eh....Cox is actually quietly having a really good preseason and we need one guy who has been around for more than a year or two at corner.

agree with philly, why the hate for cox,, he has been good. he is a good guy to have in the secondary , on special teams and can return if need be. its like people around here this pre season are using some sort of a broad brush and painting 80 per cent of our team as garbage
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
no hate on Cox here, i just think that we need to keep all the young DBs we have... McCray, Acker, Morris, over Dahl and Vatrone especially..

Look at how we gave up on Lockette last year just becaue we wanted to keep the veterans.. he may not have been a useful WR for us, but look how good he's gotten on special team...

Younger guys sometimes are hungrier especially when they have to play on the special team..
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
no hate on Cox here, i just think that we need to keep all the young DBs we have... McCray, Acker, Morris, over Dahl and Vatrone especially..

Look at how we gave up on Lockette last year just becaue we wanted to keep the veterans.. he may not have been a useful WR for us, but look how good he's gotten on special team...

Younger guys sometimes are hungrier especially when they have to play on the special team..

i agree dahl needs to go but we need to keep cox in my opinion.
Cox - anyone who doesn't see he has sound technique and is good in run defense isn't paying attention. We're not going to ride with Cully/Brock and a roster full of rookie CB's. Cox is an important foundational piece for the CB core and his experience will pay dividends. It really doesn't make sense how people can be so blind about him. I literally haven't seen him lose coverage once. He actually puts himself in positions and never loses track of his man. He also is a strong and decisive tackler. Easily the best tackling CB on the squad.

Osgood - #6 WR/ST Ace. Crab, Bold, SJ, Patton, Ellington, and Osgood. His value at WR can't be understated. I know that sounds like a joke but he was fighting for his spot and he won it with a couple of catches against the Chargers. Harbaugh wont look past him demonstrating his value like that.

Asante Cleveland - I really loved his blocking this preseason and I think they'll keep him on as a project in the Delanie role. It's not like Carrier/Celek wont be available on the FA market. He's my 3rd TE.

Adam Snyder - while this might not be popular if either Iupati or Looney go down Snyder has demonstrated he can be a serviceable backup. But what about Seymour? Well he's demonstrated he's not ready and I'm not willing to gamble while the windows open. Seymour over Snyder means your thin on the interior until he develops and that's assuming he develops.

Sorry I want a functional and performing part in my defense over a hungry McCray. The youth of McCray, Acker, Morris, and Johnson don't mean much to me when it comes to what should be championship season. We need experience and performance. Cox has that and he's not so old himself at 27. This could actually be his year to push through.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
if Cox was as solid as some of you may say, then why did Seattle let him go after a week??
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
if Cox was as solid as some of you may say, then why did Seattle let him go after a week??

who gives a flying f**k about what seattle does. all i know and care about is that he is solid for us in a niner uniform and does not deserve to get cut.. the shaking in the boots in regards to seattle around here is sad and funny at the same time
Originally posted by eonblue:
But what about Seymour? Well he's demonstrated he's not ready

Seymour has demonstrated that hes capable of playing very well against 2nd and 3rd stringers. While he hasn't played against 1st stringers yet, he has shown nothing to indicate that hes not ready.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Dont know why they cant replace Craig Dhal with anyone better.
[ Edited by susweel on Aug 25, 2014 at 11:04 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Dont know why they cant replace Craig Dhal with anyone better.

i am sure they will. actually i would not be shocked if he gets cut as the team does the first round of cuts this week. i assume we have someone can take up his spot on special teams, which he did do well.. in regards to back up safety,, not sure the names but they gotta be better than him. i used to defend him but you guys are right, he is slow, good special teams and good locker room guy but i think he must go
Share 49ersWebzone