LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 152 users in the forums

Preseason Week 2 - 2014: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Based on what? They haven't played a down that counts yet

Not asking who is better; just who has looked better in coverage so far.

I got you. But my point is that they haven't played a down that counts yet so it's too early to judge.
Originally posted by 9moon:

... FOR EVERYONE WHO THINKS I WAS MAKING UP THIS "AUDIBLE" THANG!!

Whatever. So TED SILLANPAA made it up and you repeated it. Sillanpaa runs a blog that covers baseball and regional softball issues in the Napa and Sonoma areas. He almost never discusses anything other than baseball, and it's usually Giants baseball issues. He doesn't claim to have any expertise or even contacts with expertise in NFL football. Sillanpaa gives no citation or source for this theory of his. Personally, I remember Kaepernick talking about calling the audible on the first play after the time out, but not on the subsequent two plays. And if you watch the sequence of plays again, it sure doesn't look like he's calling audibles on those last two plays.

At any rate, the idea that he would call an audible and concentrate on Crabtree because "it would look better" or something like that was your deal, not Sillanpaa's. I'm not sure why you would even be yammering on and on about that debacle two years ago, but whatever gets you through the day...
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
This preseason, how often has Kap hit a receiver in stride? Is it more than 5? 3? Most completions have been to stationary targets. Perhaps Roman hasn't been calling a lot of those kind of plays to effect a vanilla pre-season.

Kap's fastballs seem difficult to catch when he's off target. Even Boldin couldn't handle one Sunday. That Kap hasn't slowed his throw is an indication he hasn't "grown."

One of the many reasons pre-season shouldn't be the measure of a team is the intensity of practice. Harbaugh is known for running a tough camp. As a Niners fan for 50 years, I look forward to a winning season.

OMG....he's thrown 9 passes. RELAX.

LOL.

I'm perfectly relaxed. Bored even.
Originally posted by crake49:
Paul Hofer, since you've been a fan for a long time, maybe you can help me out on this, but I don't remember anyone ever asking Elway, Farvre or Rodgers to slow down their passes. On the contrary, I remember their receivers talking about the "Elway cross" or the "Rodgers cross" as kind of a badge of honor and taking pride in being able to adjust to their fastballs.

As far as Kaepernick's progress, we're just going to have to disagree. My sense is that two of the many criticisms I've seen regarding his play were that he didn't go through multiple reads and didn't take the easy yards with a check down receiver when his primaries were covered. Since I saw him doing both of those things last game, I see that as progress.
Elway, Farve and Rodgers were/are accurate. I'd rather win than have WRs with badges of courage. The kind of progress I'm looking for and haven't seen is accuracy to sustain drives. Great, so he can dump off. Not enough IMO for a SB QB.

But I hope the next game will prove he's progressed in vital areas. Hitting receivers in stride would be great.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I have heard that absoloutley no where but this post...where did you hear it?

Actually, I heard Jimmie got toasted here on WZ (I actually missed the game). I read random Bronco posts that Roby struggled a lot in camp but played well against the Niners.

Like I said, I missed the game, so I'm not saying it's true; just wanted to see if anyone else saw 'em both play & who looked better in coverage.
he did not get toasted. he gave up 1 15 yd completion against Welker, in which he was right with him and Mannng threaded it between Ward and Reid, and then gave up 2 more completions for a combined 5 yds. he also made some great tackles.

It's like OMG WARD GAVE UP COMPLETIONS TO MANNING AND WELKER HE SUX!!!!!!!

Gotta love the 'zone.
We have been playing off coverage and keeping everything in front of us but Ward hasn't given more than a handful of completions up. He's made some nice stops in the backfield and in the run game too. I think he's doing pretty well. Plus he played FS and I don't recall any completions over his head but I didn't watch him. I like the pick because he can contribute at CB and be that #3 FS/SS that we need. Spillman, Ventrone, Dahl aren't it. He will see time at CB and also as a 3rd S in the dime where he will be like a S/CB type. Then when Bethea retires say after next year, then he can take over at SS and hopefully by then he's bulked up and gained muscle. He should be a lot better in coverage/run stopping by then to with all his playing time. In the mean time he can backup both S spots and play CB and CB/S combo guy.
ESPN just showed an interview Peyton manning had after their practice and he said that tier offense isn't getting ahead of themselves. He said how the niners didn't play guys like Willis and smith, didn't blitz once, and played a vanilla offense and that our defense will be a different monster when we play in the regular season.
Would we all like to see better play, yes. But remember we don't show anything during pre season for teams to have on tape
  • thl408
Elway, Farve and Rodgers were/are accurate. I'd rather win than have WRs with badges of courage. The kind of progress I'm looking for and haven't seen is accuracy to sustain drives. Great, so he can dump off. Not enough IMO for a SB QB.

But I hope the next game will prove he's progressed in vital areas. Hitting receivers in stride would be great.

Since you've been a 49er fan for so long, thought you'd appreciate the black and white video.

• Phil
  • Veteran
Kap does need to progress his game but I'm kinda getting tiered of talking about it. We wont have a real view of his progress until he has 3 or 4 full games this season. Anything will be better than his early 2013 season games, and with our new WR core I'm 99.9% positive he'll put up better numbers than he did early last season but we need consistency in a few areas. He needs to be more consistent going through progressions, needs to use checkdowns more often (not as much as Smith please), needs to think pass first and put running in the back of his mind for situations where the play has completely broken down (be more of a Steve Young runner) and he needs to work on throwing the ball at various speeds especially redzone arch. Our passing game in general needs to take more shots down the middle, more screens and we need to utilize more 3 and 4 WR sets/single back formations (although having Miller back is huge).

We have the toys now, Roman needs to be able to play with them and Kap needs to be able to see them on the field. I'm expecting around a 3600 yard passing season from Kap, 30 td's/12 ints (that would be great). More passes early in the season while our defense is weakened. Week one I think we'll run more, and when we play Arizona/Seattle we'll run more as well but when we play teams with less than stellar secondaries we need to be pass happy.

The Bears game= pass happy. Eagle's game = pass happy. KC game = pass happy. Rams, more pass than run. Washington = pass happy. Raiders = pass happy. The rest of the games I'd expect a healthy mixture of run/pass. We also need to get a feel for the new officiating agenda, going after defensive holding and such. This might severely impact teams like Seattle, which reminds, me, Stevie Johnson better be on the filed a lot more when we play teams with shut down or near to shut down corners. If Stevie doesn't get a large amount of snaps I'll send Roman hate mail.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1305-time-san-francisco-49ers-push-panic-button/

Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1305-time-san-francisco-49ers-push-panic-button/

"What is wrong with the 49ers?"

The answer is absolutely nothing other than an unsettled situation at backup quarterback, which is the case for about 29 other teams in the NFL.

/the end

Okay, that's just almost a non-sequitur response. The point is that when receivers learn to catch fastballs, they and their QB have an extra advantage over NFL defensive backs. We've already seen Kaepernick throw passes that could have never split the safeties if they had been thrown at a normal velocity. I get that you're not a Kaepernick believer, but at least have the grace to give him credit for what he can do.

And this remark, "Elway, Farvre and Rodgers were/are accurate," is almost laughable. Kaepernick has been starting for a season and a half and has a cumulative 59.8% completion percentage. At this point in his career, Elway had more interceptions than TD's and a less than 52% completion percentage. Kaepernick, at this point in his career is MUCH MORE ACCURATE than Elway was at the same point. After the same number of starts as Kaepernick, Rodgers had a 55.9% completion percentage. And Farvre is the NFL all-time leader in interceptions - at least you could say that at the same point he had a marginally better completion percentage at about 61%.

IMO, what you have are perceptions that are not really well-supported by, you know, what some of us like to call facts. That's fine. You're entitled to your opinions. But, don't pretend that they're facts.
Originally posted by crake49:

Okay, that's just almost a non-sequitur response. The point is that when receivers learn to catch fastballs, they and their QB have an extra advantage over NFL defensive backs. We've already seen Kaepernick throw passes that could have never split the safeties if they had been thrown at a normal velocity. I get that you're not a Kaepernick believer, but at least have the grace to give him credit for what he can do.

And this remark, "Elway, Farvre and Rodgers were/are accurate," is almost laughable. Kaepernick has been starting for a season and a half and has a cumulative 59.8% completion percentage. At this point in his career, Elway had more interceptions than TD's and a less than 52% completion percentage. Kaepernick, at this point in his career is MUCH MORE ACCURATE than Elway was at the same point. After the same number of starts as Kaepernick, Rodgers had a 55.9% completion percentage. And Farvre is the NFL all-time leader in interceptions - at least you could say that at the same point he had a marginally better completion percentage at about 61%.

IMO, what you have are perceptions that are not really well-supported by, you know, what some of us like to call facts. That's fine. You're entitled to your opinions. But, don't pretend that they're facts.
That's right Kap is as good as Elway, Favre and Rodgers. Silly me.

Right now Kap is an above-average QB. Without his wheels, he's probably average. I believe the dialogue over how much he's improved or simply proved he can dump off suggests that most agree that Kap is no more than above average. His best game so far was his first start--against the Bears. Remember that. He was great. He hasn't been great since. He starts very slow. He is explosive. Scoring overall is low (of course that's Roman's fault).

Will Harbaugh run Kap more, now that Kap has recovered his foot issues? Does the team need a break from TC to put it together? I hope so
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Aug 19, 2014 at 5:39 PM ]
This preseason, how often has Kap hit a receiver in stride? Is it more than 5? 3? Most completions have been to stationary targets. Perhaps Roman hasn't been calling a lot of those kind of plays to effect a vanilla pre-season.

Kap's fastballs seem difficult to catch when he's off target. Even Boldin couldn't handle one Sunday. That Kap hasn't slowed his throw is an indication he hasn't "grown."

One of the many reasons pre-season shouldn't be the measure of a team is the intensity of practice. Harbaugh is known for running a tough camp. As a Niners fan for 50 years, I look forward to a winning season.

"Even Boldin couldn't handle one Sunday." This is a false statement, or something that's called "A LIE". You are either WRONG, or you LIED.
[ Edited by ayetee on Aug 19, 2014 at 5:54 PM ]
That's right Kap is as good as Elway, Favre and Rodgers. Silly me.

Right now Kap is an above-average QB. Without his wheels, he's probably average. I believe the dialogue over how much he's improved or simply proved he can dump off suggests that most agree that Kap is no more than above average. His best game so far was his first start--against the Bears. Remember that. He was great. He hasn't been great since. He starts very slow. He is explosive. Scoring overall is low (of course that's Roman's fault).

Will Harbaugh run Kap more, now that Kap has recovered his foot issues? Does the team need a break from TC to put it together? I hope so

400+ yards against GB last year?
Share 49ersWebzone