There are 200 users in the forums

Preseason Week 2 - 2014: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 5280High:
Marvin should be given a mod ability so he can ban people from his threads. These threads are one of the few sanctuaries of intelligent conversation around here (queue: Susan Surandon commercial about saving Marvins threads while singing the arms of an angel and showing pictures of post fails)

He was offered but he declined.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by thl408:
PaulHofer, from reading your posts here, you claim that Kap can't hit a WR in stride and that all his completed passes were to stationary targets. This leads you to say that Kap is inaccurate.

I agree that most of his completed targets have been to WRs that were not running at the time they caught the ball. However, please consider that not all routes are designed to have the WR be running when they catch the ball. Many passes completed by Kap this PREseason have been to WRs on curl routes. Curl routes are mainly used versus zone coverage as the WR is asked to find the soft spot and turn around for the pass. A WR catching a pass on a curl will not be in motion.

I can recall 3 instances where Kap tried to hit a WR on the run this Preseason. In the BAL game, the throw resulted in a defensive PI when SJohnson was targeted. Versus DEN, there was a slant to SJ which Kap led SJ a tad too much. Then there was the near TD to Lloyd on a go route.

I don't think using RAC to determine QB accuracy is conclusive. There needs to be many things considered like average distance thrown, comp%, INT rate, WR drop rate, etc. I do agree that hitting WRs in stride is a good measure of accuracy though. Unfortunately, there is no stat for that, just the old eye test.

Going purely by RAC is flawed. If that's the criteria, then Peyton manning is the 10th most accurate qb and Brady is 16th. Therefore, kaep must be more accurate than Brady by this measure.

I'm gonna go with comp% as a way to judge accuracy and by that measure kaep is around the 62% level when he has more than one nfl caliper WR. This whole kaep is inaccurate argument is nonsense.

Agreed. On a successful screen pass, the QB throws a 'simple' short pass and accumulates good RAC. This is Brees and Peyton.

On a nice intermediate or deep pass, the QB may need to thread the needle into an area between the CB and a safety that is converging on the throw. No RAC as the ball gets there before the safety who makes the tackle. I think we can all agree which is the more impressive (accurate) throw.
Originally posted by susweel:
Marvin should be given a mod ability so he can ban people from his threads. These threads are one of the few sanctuaries of intelligent conversation around here (queue: Susan Surandon commercial about saving Marvins threads while singing the arms of an angel and showing pictures of post fails)

Nah...I don't mind peeps saying stuff I disagree with on this thread. That's the whole point of a forum.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 20, 2014 at 12:57 PM ]

Well duh, he's way too nice to be a full time Mod
[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 20, 2014 at 12:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Nah...I don't mind peeps saying stuff I disagree with on this thread. That's the whole point of a forum.

Agreed. On a successful screen pass, the QB throws a 'simple' short pass and accumulates good RAC. This is Brees and Peyton.

On a nice intermediate or deep pass, the QB may need to thread the needle into an area between the CB and a safety that is converging on the throw. No RAC as the ball gets there before the safety who makes the tackle. I think we can all agree which is the more impressive (accurate) throw.

Another flaw in purely going by YAC, is that all the data is based on completed passes. So within the sample size, there is 100 completion %. Since each qb operates in a different system, it hard to differentiate between them just based on YAC. Kaep doesn't get the amount of screens that a manning does (as you mentioned).

I think YAC is better served in comparing WR on certain concepts. For example, if one WR is averageing 8 yard of YAC on flanker drive and another is averaging 4 yards of YAC on the same concept, then conclusions can be made regarding the way those WRs are running that concept.
Originally posted by Niners816:

Another flaw in purely going by YAC, is that all the data is based on completed passes. So within the sample size, there is 100 completion %. Since each qb operates in a different system, it hard to differentiate between them just based on YAC. Kaep doesn't get the amount of screens that a manning does (as you mentioned).

I think YAC is better served in comparing WR on certain concepts. For example, if one WR is averageing 8 yard of YAC on flanker drive and another is averaging 4 yards of YAC on the same concept, then conclusions can be made regarding the way those WRs are running that concept.

Ya there is tons of problems with the approach, it was really something a true academic would come up with. Look at something in a vacuum and ignore the rest of reality.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Good for him!
Originally posted by 9moon:
I say we still look like a mess out there...

I'm also afraid that other team has learned to takeaway Kap's initial target and is forcing him to go his progression, which still is his weakness..

Umm....what?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Well duh, he's way too nice to be a full time Mod

I definitely don't think Kaep is inaccurate. But he definitely over-relies on his fastball. Hitting a receiver with a soft throw to help him get RAC is also a kind of accuracy, but we know he's lacking in a little touch. He'll get there.

Tho I don't agree with Marvin that Kaep is 'fine'... that throw to McDonald was atrocious. A bullet for a 10-15 yard pass? We already know Vance is having trouble, why fire the pass in like that? Kaep is not the first QB to fall in love with his own arm, but damn I hope Harbaugh is in his ear about this crap.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
I definitely don't think Kaep is inaccurate. But he definitely over-relies on his fastball. Hitting a receiver with a soft throw to help him get RAC is also a kind of accuracy, but we know he's lacking in a little touch. He'll get there.

Tho I don't agree with Marvin that Kaep is 'fine'... that throw to McDonald was atrocious. A bullet for a 10-15 yard pass? We already know Vance is having trouble, why fire the pass in like that? Kaep is not the first QB to fall in love with his own arm, but damn I hope Harbaugh is in his ear about this crap.

Baby steps. Baby steps. I'm just happy he checked down.

Jk

Brett Favre threw bullets on 10-15 yard passes and had a pretty good career. Not everybody can be Peyton Manning, but that's why he's (arguably) the greatest passing QB in NFL history.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Aug 20, 2014 at 3:59 PM ]

Kaep has touch

I think the passes get in quick to allow the receiver time to make a play instead of getting hit right when then catch it
If the 49ers deliver another fan stinkbomb this weekend against the Bolts, there's gonna be major angst in here...
Share 49ersWebzone