LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 337 users in the forums

Jeff Garcia Wants to Back Up Kaepernick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The mind is there, the talent is there but unfortunately the body won't be. A few hits and he'll wonder how the hell he talked himself into doing this!

But .... he's better than what they currently have. It's just that he won't last!
Does he have to last though? If Kap is done for the season early on, our SB hopes are done for anyways. It doesn't happen often where teams have a situation like we had with smith (2 legit starters).

It's kind of sad that any of us are even considering this. Hopefully Blaine steps it up.

I do also have a soft spot for the guy. Dude bleeds football.
Overreactions with Blaine everywhere. Calm down give him time. If he sucks ass by the 4th preseason game then I guess the concerns are justified.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Hyde-Sheds-First-Game-Nerves-Jeff-Garcia-Wants-to-Back-up-Kap-/839160f5-fd65-464f-9f02-00a8f2a66a69

Did anyone else see this? Gave me a chuckle. This little side piece certainly was an eyebrow-raiser when I saw it. Garcia was recently hired as an offensive consultant for the Alouettes in the CFL and hasn't played since 2011, so the chances of anything happening are pretty close to zero, but it was hard for me to not think, in the back of my mind, how interesting it would be to have Garcia on the roster as a veteran backup -- even just a third string -- and even if he didn't play a single down.

I just don't think there is any other QB on the roster who I'd trust to "see something" out on the field to alert Kaepernick about and let us take advantage of some match-up or make certain audibles, etc. - Quite simply, since Smith left, we haven't had any truly experienced veteran presence on the roster at QB behind CK. And personally, I think that's a mistake. Having any sort of a strong veteran there would not only benefit Kaepernick, but it'd benefit other young QBs on the roster.

Agree and good call on a savvy vet who could help Kap w/insights.

That said, as much as I like Garcia - his time is done. They should have brought Jeff in earlier to mentor kap for one season.

At this time we have a guy [forget his name] that's supposed to be excellent at the job.

We'll see.
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Aug 9, 2014 at 10:36 AM ]
Don't go away mad Jeff, just go away.
We need another RB lets see what Kevan Barlows up too!
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
i'd take a 44 yo Jeff Garcia over Gabbert all day.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
58 yr old Jeff in a wheel chair with 1 broken arm>>>>>>>>>>Healthy Gabby
This is a good idea actually.

It's a guy who was cerebral enough to over come his average ability and became a good NFL QB.

His value is being a mentor to make our two young QBs better. He can be a second set of eyes that can probably still go three the reps. It's a different type of bonding then being a QB coach.

I think it would being to replace some of what was lost when Alex Smith was traded away.
Originally posted by boast:

Yup I trust Garcia and his decision making over Gabbert any day of the week.

Originally posted by JustinMT:
Originally posted by boast:

Yup I trust Garcia and his decision making over Gabbert any day of the week.

The dude strikes Gold everywhere he goes. I mean look at his wife. If he can land a wife like this he'll definitely bring some good mojo to us for our season.

Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Garcia for OC.

Yes please
[ Edited by awp8912 on Aug 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM ]
That ship sailed many moons ago. Besides, he's not exactly the kind of vet I want mentoring Kap. Dudes bread and butter was playing backyard ball, scrambling around in the backfield waiting for something to get open. I'm not saying he wasn't good, but I don't know that you can "teach" the type of ball he played.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
That ship sailed many moons ago. Besides, he's not exactly the kind of vet I want mentoring Kap. Dudes bread and butter was playing backyard ball, scrambling around in the backfield waiting for something to get open. I'm not saying he wasn't good, but I don't know that you can "teach" the type of ball he played.

So he's perfect for Johnny Football?

f**kING SIGN HIM.
Share 49ersWebzone