There are 284 users in the forums

Winners and Losers from Preseason Game 1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If the refs are going to call penalties like that in every game Seattle will go 6-10. I guess we will see a few Thursdays from now.
Originally posted by filthyrich49er:
Hyde looked very good and explosive. Cancer looks more comfortable than last year. Ward was around the ball but looked lost. DL as a whole looked awful. Tank is a keeper. Only the starting secondary played on defense with Brock being the exemption. All in all awful performance and I'm glad. Now let's get to work

who??
Wilhoite played well

Vance also played well
Originally posted by swayze:
Originally posted by filthyrich49er:
Hyde looked very good and explosive. Cancer looks more comfortable than last year. Ward was around the ball but looked lost. DL as a whole looked awful. Tank is a keeper. Only the starting secondary played on defense with Brock being the exemption. All in all awful performance and I'm glad. Now let's get to work

who??
my bad Vance. (Damn cell phone)
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Winners

Chris Cook
Bruce Ellington
Jimmie Ward
Carlos Hyde
Quinton Dial
Tank Carradine

Losers

Back up QB's
Back up O-lineman
Mike Purcell
Chris Borland
CJ Spiller
Daryl Morris

Spillman
Plus:

Borland – This guy is a player. He will be a starter from day one, unless Fangio goes full retard. He not only has the instincts as advertised, but he is a standout NFL ATHLETE. He moves very well, and makes other players who run faster 40 times look slow playing next to him. We need this guy ON THE FIELD. He is the biggest surprise to me. I like Wilhoite, but Borland is on another level.

Hyde – Hyde is just what we need right now. He has the instincts and the ability to start. A huge piece for our offense this season.

Jimmy Ward – Another player. We are just drafting football players. He is very quick and instinctive. Another big piece of the puzzle.

Dial – Yet another. Has the size, strength and instincts to really help us, and we are going to need him. Plays tough and nasty. Forced a couple of fumbles. He's still a little raw because he hasn't played much in the last two years. Not a natural nose tackle.

Ellington – Explosive first step. Smart player, with hands. Another football player.

Carradine – Played very raw, but flashed his huge potential. He needed to get his feet wet. He did not look as quick as he looked in college, but he balances it out with improved strength. He still has to learn to play 3-4 DE. His raw ability to flat out play is there though, and he will be a big part of the rotation.

Lemonier – Still flashes his ability from last year, but also put on some size to hold up better in the run game.

Minus:

Gabbert - Just like in college. Put him under pressure and it all falls apart. I'm sure he is excellent in practice, but during the game he unravels under pressure.

Moody – I don't think he is a natural linebacker.

Okoye – Not surprising, but he is still a poor football player. He is not made for the game. Continues to get injured easily. Yes, I know he can bull rush, but that is about it. I'm sorry but that is not enough to make a roster. Perhaps his injury let's us hide him on the IR once again.

There are issues with NT. I really hope Williams can get healthy, we need him in the worst way right now. If not, we are going to have to alter the defense a bit, because Dial is not a natural nose tackle.
Between Dial, TJE, Dobbs and Williams, we should be able to figure something out.

We probably had 30 something players not play in this game for various reasons. Most of them will be ready by September, some are redshirts, three of them are out. I hope people don't take the score of the game too seriously.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 7, 2014 at 8:24 PM ]
Ellington is impressive. He solidly built and can handle punts and kickoffs.
Its pretty remarkable we had any positives tonight in a game where we only had the ball for 18 minutes or so!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Winners

Chris Cook
Bruce Ellington
Jimmie Ward
Carlos Hyde
Quinton Dial
Tank Carradine

Losers

Back up QB's
Back up O-lineman
Mike Purcell
Chris Borland
CJ Spiller
Daryl Morris

Spillman

Originally posted by jreff22:
Alex Boone

^
This mother f**ker is starting to piss me off

Originally posted by Ninerz4Life:
Joe Looney looked fine he had one bad play where he just got beat. Boone got beat at times to I think you guys forget that he wasn't as dominate as your memories would like you to think. Now Martin on the other hand SUCKS! He needs to be cut soon before he hurts himself. Hyde was impressive and so was Dontae Johnson. You can tell Ward is a playmaker and Dial and Carradine were beasts. Borland looked ok he should get better. Impressive open field tackle on special teams I think he's a little faster than people give him credit for. Chris Cook looked lost nice break on the pick but his awareness in Madden would be a 39. A better QB and WR would have had 6. Skov looked slow. Netter was crap. I hope Seymour or Phillip can play T cause Martin can't. Bethel Thompson and Gabbert were ugly although I think Gabbert will get better. Hampton and Smith looked ordinary just like last year. I wanted to see Winston. Not impressed with Dobbs or Okoye and of course both got hurt. I don't want to see Dial or Carradine playing all game again this preseason we need them so the 49ers need to figure something out. The broadcaster Ryan said Purcell was having a good camp. Really??? Anyone else hear that??? I thought he was a step above Martin with his play tonight. Craig Dahl sucks but he's our only back up S with experience that isn't just a special teamer. I really liked Ellington's play he looks real good. Patton looked ok and McDonald is tough to get down as long as he catches the ball. Carrier looked good better than Celek anyway. I hope Celek stays hurt for right now so we can see more of Carrier. All in all I think we have a lot of really good young players and mixed with the vets we should have a very dangerous team. Harbaugh and the other coaches have to figure out how we get through three more preseason games without having to play the good players to much so they don't expose them to injury. Very excited though I think we have some talented youth on this team.

Try to break your posts into paragraphs bro. You have good thoughts but guys in here aren't going to read it if its not broken up a little bit. Just makes it easier to follow what your saying.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
This is why all these reportings of so and so Is going well in camp will be taken with a grain of salt. Gabbert was having a good camp and he looked like he didn't belong in the NFL

Gabbert is a strong practice player. He just sucks in games.

Well OK then.

Wait - aren't games more important than practices?
Cancer McDonald
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Alex Boone

Winner or loser?

Winner.
Originally posted by fandemonium:
Well OK then.

Wait - aren't games more important than practices?

Practice? We talking about practice? Man, lets talk about the game!
Share 49ersWebzone