LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 182 users in the forums

Hall of Fame LB, Patrick Willis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
The only reason Willis isn't in the 2020 class is because he retired early.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yep
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Yep

Nope it's because he lost the super bowl
Originally posted by Since07:
Originally posted by illinois9er:

Yep

Nope it's because he lost the super bowl

He single-handedly lost that game.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Willis or Warner who you got, no injuries matter at all.

I'm going willis

not even close to me. Pat all day
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:

I'm going willis

love Pat, but he came off the field on pass formations and bow stayed on

Warner doesn't need to come off the field

I'm going willis

At this point Willis. Let's see what Warner does with a few more years in the league. P Willy played like a hall of famer for 4 or 5 years but that toe injury hurt him the last couple. He played good enough to be HOF but maybe not long enough. It's like when I see an all time Niner list and they have Dion on the list. Great player but I don't consider him an all time Niner great. He wasn't there long enough. That's like calling Jerry Rice or Ronnie Lott an all time Raider great. When people vote on players for the HOF I'm not sure they all hav ehte same criteria. Longevity might be more important for some while others look at the impact he made while he was playing.

Here's an example. Emmitt Smith is the all time rushing leader and that can't be disputed but I would put Gale Sayers above him even though he had far fewer yards. In the brief time he played he was electric and a far better runner than Smith. Barry Sanders was also better but he elected to retire early. We're going to see this argument when Gore retires too. There will be some that say he only accumulated all those yards through longevity. I think everything needs to be considered but if it came down to it I would probably go with impact the player made during his career assuming he played for at least 5 seasons. That's long enough to see greatness.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Aug 15, 2020 at 7:58 AM ]
So much disrespect for a legend in this thread. Comparing Warner to Willis? Seriously? Until his injury, Willis was 1st team all pro every year. The undisputed best ILB in the NFC (Ray Ray in AFC). Willis was the AP killer. Toe to toe with Lynch in his prime with a broken arm. Running with Jimmy Graham, when Graham and Breeze were the most potent dual in the league.....Number one run stopping defense under his watch for years.

And dude was fast. He could cover. Bow was just very good at that moment and Willis toe was an issue.

Some of you act like you started watching football in 2014....
Warner.
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Aug 14, 2020 at 7:39 PM ]
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
You guys are nuts. Willis was a once in a generation LB. Best since Ray Lewis and very few before that better.

Warner is one of the best currently. Great player. Not generational.

Put it this way ...

Player A
year 1: 124 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 INT, 3 TFL, 6 deflections

year 2: 118 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 INT, 7 TFL, 9 deflections

Player B
year 1: 176 tackles, 4 sacks, 0 INT, 2 FF, 8 TFL, 5 deflections

year two: 141 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT, 1 FF, 8 TFL, 10 deflections

Player B is Willis. He has nearly a full season of stats more than Warner I'm just two years.

This is disrespectful to Willis. There's maybe half a dozen MLBs in NFL history that should be compared to him.

There's no comparing Warner to Willis. Zero. Stop showing your age.
Comparing Warner to Willis is like comparing Rice to Irvin. Stop. You making yourself look bad.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I'm going willis

love Pat, but he came off the field on pass formations and bow stayed on

Warner doesn't need to come off the field

Maybe towards the end when he dealt with toe and only then because Bowman was an All-Pro as well. Willis was the best coverage linebacker in the league first handful of years and still quite good after.

Fwiw, he had 80s or 90s coverage grade most years. Had one year in 60s, one 78, one 79. Just 12 LBs were 80+ coverage last year.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
I'm flabbergasted this is even a freaking conversation. Only three MLBs have more 1st team All-Pros in their career (Lewis, Singletary, Lambert).

I mean come on. Warner hasn't made a Pro Bowl yet. Willis made the Pro Bowl every year but his last one when he only played six games. 7 straight to start his career.

Anyone picking Warner needs to sign out, take a break from the forum and watch some Willis film. Goodness.
Originally posted by DaBum:
You guys are nuts. Willis was a once in a generation LB. Best since Ray Lewis and very few before that better.

Warner is one of the best currently. Great player. Not generational.

Put it this way ...

Player A
year 1: 124 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 INT, 3 TFL, 6 deflections

year 2: 118 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 INT, 7 TFL, 9 deflections

Player B
year 1: 176 tackles, 4 sacks, 0 INT, 2 FF, 8 TFL, 5 deflections

year two: 141 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT, 1 FF, 8 TFL, 10 deflections

Player B is Willis. He has nearly a full season of stats more than Warner I'm just two years.

This is disrespectful to Willis. There's maybe half a dozen MLBs in NFL history that should be compared to him.

All you did was show that player A went from damn good in year 1 to great in year 2. Player B didn't take as big of a leap. Based off of those stats, I would take player A over player B but it would be too close to call. 49ers fans should are blessed to have Fred Warner, but instead, they are showing blatant disrespect.
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Aug 14, 2020 at 8:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone