LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 202 users in the forums

Most likely to be on another team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Just because Cooper was claimed off waivers doesn't mean Ackers will have the same fate. But I as well have a hard time believing he'll beat out Morris who I think has the inside track on replacing Rogers covering the slot.
Morris will not be our opening day starter at the nickle, Jimmie Ward will.

In theory, yes. We can all expect to see Jimmie Ward at Nickel, but if he doesn't show enough to take the job, the door is wide open for Morris.
Just because Cooper was claimed off waivers doesn't mean Ackers will have the same fate. But I as well have a hard time believing he'll beat out Morris who I think has the inside track on replacing Rogers covering the slot.

Depends on fast Ward picks up the defense. But Morris has the edge for now. Ward hasn't even practiced yet

Does Morris have the edge over Cox right now?

Depends on fast Ward picks up the defense. But Morris has the edge for now. Ward hasn't even practiced yet
Realistically, Morris isn't gonna beat out Ward. So, IMHO Morris has no "edge" to speak of. Morris is good, but lets not get this twisted. Morris is nowhere near the natural, pure, defender that Ward is. The fact that Ward hasn't practiced (in rookie camp) means absolutely nothing. The guy had a Jones fracture, that he didn't even know he had until he had the routine medical examination at the scouting combine. Hell, most people that get this injury don't even know they have this fracture, especially athletes. In fact, Ward said he didn't even feel it, nor did he have any symptoms from it. Don't get me wrong, I want JH & Co. to find any reason to keep Morris, no matter how remote (and I'm starting to think we will). I know for many here think Morris is the darling of our roster due to his sheer dogged determination to be activated (that basically forced Asomugha off the roster). But I'm sorry, Morris is nowhere near the polished defender that Ward is. Ward comes in ready and tailor made. Morris is still needing development. Otherwise HarBaalk would not have spent our 1st pick on Morris' position.

In order for Morris to gain the starting role over Ward (a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award no less) he's gonna have to make Ward look like a bust. And I just don't see that happening. . . . . . . . . IMHO

You lost me there. You think learning different concepts with coverages and picking up completely new terminology with the playcalls means nothing for a rookie in OTA's and Mimi camp? If so you're very naive. I'm not saying Ward won't eventually contribute this season. But I'm not going to jump the gun and anoint him before he's even practiced once. That may be hard for you to do but it's realistic because some rookies can actually get off to a slow start.

BTW Reid and Ward's situation are not the same. Reid didn't miss any reps on the practice field in the offseason and he had a clearer path to a starting gig because his main competition was Craig Dahl who's just awful. There's much tougher competition for that nickel spot for Ward with Cox and Morris.

Ward hasn't been on the field, but he has been present. He has been there the whole time learning the playbook and the terminology. To doubt him physically would be a mistake. He has all of the training camp and pre-season to show off his ability. I still expect Ward to open the season as the Nickel corner. Morris is fighting to be the #2.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
LaMichael James

This one is so obvious, wish they'd just do it already

Complete waste of a second round pick. When BPA goes wrong?

lol how can you honestly say that when we never used him?
That has been my point since day one. OTOH, I thot he was a positional pick, to play in the mold of sproles or reggie bush. Boy did I miss that one. I don't think that ever crossed JHs or roman's minds. I wonder if that is what Trent was thinking. Because as a RB to back up Frank, that was a terrible pick. But had he been used as a position player, that would have been entirely different. But it never happened. Makes you wonder if Trent and JH/roman were on different pages.

Oh, and Giedi, I didn't mean to pick on LMJ , it could have been anybody. But the strategy of trent remains the same. Give him a player he knows is going to be cut, and the guy will find a home for him, before the cut, at the cost of a 6th or 7th. He can't do it with all cuts but he sure takes a whack at it.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM ]
In the Hunter/LMJ debate, I'd take Hunter, but I also think he has more value in the trade market.

If a team who is already thin at RB has an injury in TC or preseason, I could see them offering a decent pick for Hunter. A team like the giants last year- not that I'd want to help strengthen the giants- comes to mind.
TB is going to find a way to get some value for some of these guys.
Originally posted by daragon:

Yup, I'd say so.
Wouldn't be surprised if Dial or Dobbs were on another roster. There really hasn't been a lot of buzz about either, but I think Tomsulas tutelage is well respected in most nfl circles.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
I cannot disagree with any of that.

I'm as anxious as you or anyone else and all my speculations / discussions are wearing me out

TC / preseason / final cuts can't get here fast enough.....
Ain't that the damn truth. But I'm not getting worn out yet. I'm just getting warmed up

You must have a lot of patience... not me. As a matter of fact, I'm missing football (college/NFL) so much that I'm beginning to hate other sports even more (each day that passes)...

Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Here's who I think:

LMJ
G. Celek
B. Lloyd
C. Jacobs
A. Snyder
R. Seymour
D. Dobbs
N. Moody
P. Cox
D. Morris
C. Dahl
The loser between the Quinton Dial/Tony Jerrod-Eddie roster battle

Why? Because everyone in front of the above either adds more value to the team, has the better upside, or is just outright better. And let us not forget the numbers game, which ALL teams eventually have to have a "come to Jesus" moment on (see the Dial/Jerrod-Eddie battle). With a team this deep and talented I suspect that JH & Co. are gonna have a lot of "come to Jesus" moments about this roster.

What a terrific problem to have
LMJ is my first choice, too.

However, if Lloyd continues his great play in TC, I think they keep him. He could be a real red zone threat. Also, they won't trade Morris or Moody. I'm not sure anyone wants Snyder,Cox or Celek in a trade. Dobbs is a possibility. So are Dahl, Seymour and maybe Jacobs.
I don't think I said anything about trading any of them.

The OP indicated players to be either cut or traded.
if Brandon Lloyd proves to be a valuable red zone weapon , we may have to cut ties with Osgood

Derek Carrier has versatility to his game , and could see some time as an H-Back and FB besides TE, if he is effective in pre season, that could mean the end for Celek

Tony Jerod Eddie played well when given a chance, which means Dobbs & Okoye will be looking elsewhere for work if TJE continues to improve

Nick Moody will need one hell of a pre season to keep his roster spot, Borland and Wilhoite will be tough to surpass on the depth chart

Adam Snyder will also have his work cut out for him

Cox has a chance to keep his roster spot if he outshines Johnson and Acker
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
That has been my point since day one. OTOH, I thot he was a positional pick, to play in the mold of sproles or reggie bush. Boy did I miss that one. I don't think that ever crossed JHs or roman's minds. I wonder if that is what Trent was thinking. Because as a RB to back up Frank, that was a terrible pick. But had he been used as a position player, that would have been entirely different. But it never happened. Makes you wonder if Trent and JH/roman were on different pages.

Oh, and Giedi, I didn't mean to pick on LMJ , it could have been anybody. But the strategy of trent remains the same. Give him a player he knows is going to be cut, and the guy will find a home for him, before the cut, at the cost of a 6th or 7th. He can't do it with all cuts but he sure takes a whack at it.

If all the RB's are at 100% I agree LMJ looks like the odd man out. LMJ did decent filling out for an injured Kendall. The problem with LMJ is we already have a change of pace back with Kendall. He did well last year and between gore and kendall, LMJ simply could not get on the field.

I can see him go to a new Orlean's type of a pass happy offense. Maybe even a KC or Ravens team if they need a change of pace back. I can see him playing against us this year if he leaves our team one via being cut. I'm sure seadderall will kick the tires on him, so the best scenario for us is to trade him to an AFC team.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Wouldn't be surprised if Dial or Dobbs were on another roster. There really hasn't been a lot of buzz about either, but I think Tomsulas tutelage is well respected in most nfl circles.

IDK about Dial but Dobbs might be on another roster next season since Vic and the team likes Dial, But then again its up to Dial how much he wants it.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/49ers-Quinton-Dial-Could-Blossom-in-Second-Season-266443061.html
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by daragon:
Yup, I'd say so.

Why ?

I think both will make the 53 this year. Though my take is that Cox still has the edge right now. He brings veteran leadership, knows the system very well, played very good in the playoffs and I think is the better returner ( at least at this point ). .
Share 49ersWebzone