LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 187 users in the forums

Greg Roman loves him some Gabbert

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ManBearPig99:
So you are here now talking this crap. You sir, need to be banned.

Here is the proof you are here to do no good:

1) LMJ is competing with Ellington for a roster spot
2)Gore isn't a game changing back
3) Kap is in Miami because he does PEDs.

Mods; please limit this guys abilities to post here.

Chris

Shocking stuff. There might be children watching.
Originally posted by ethan:
It was injuries that stopped Gabbert in Jacksonville more than anything else. Along with constant turnover of coaching staff and players while he was there. There are only two players left on the team from when he arrived. He played through his rookie season with a broken toe and damaged ribs. Second year he had a seperated left shoulder from the start of the year, but played with it. He was doing O.K. up to mid point of the season (even though the team was learning a new offense), then he suffered nerve damage in the forearm of his throwing hand. Couldn't grip the ball. But at that point he had a better passer rating and completion percentage than guys like Luck, Newton, Bradford, Stafford, Tannehill, etc. Despite the constant turnover in personel around him. People whine because Kapaernick had to play without Crabtree for half a season. Gabbert was throwing to a constant changing cast of waiver wire guys his whole time in Jacksonville. They set records for injury time lost both his first two years there, and then he missed most of his third with an injury of his own. Quarterbacks always say it takes half a season to a full season to become comfortable in new offensive scheme. Gabbert never had that luxury. He missed the second half of his last two seasons, and every year there was a new offense to learn. He kept winning the starting job, then getting hurt before he had a chance to benefit from team familiarity with a new system.

He had a tougher go of it for his first three seasons in the league than any quarterback going back to Greg Cook, probably, who was having an All Pro rookie season then suffered shoulder damage that ended his career.

Seems like a long list of excuses to me. Nowhere in that post do I see anything that would lead me to believe he's a good QB.

I agree he was in a bad situation. Even then, you would still expect someone chosen that high to at least show he's one of the better players on the team. At least show you're a player to build around. Gabbert was a liability, and the offense functioned better with Chad Henne under center playing with the exact same surrounding talent. That's why Henne is there, and Gabbert is gone.

I'm not saying that Gabbert can't turn it around. He certainly can. He has the talent, and he's in a great situation now. Nobody cares about his adversities, every player has them. At the end of day you have to show results on the field.
Shocking stuff. There might be children watching.

No children. But until you admit that you are a Niner hater, I will point out all the stupid things you are saying.

Chris
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Seems like a long list of excuses to me. Nowhere in that post do I see anything that would lead me to believe he's a good QB.

I agree he was in a bad situation. Even then, you would still expect someone chosen that high to at least show he's one of the better players on the team. At least show you're a player to build around. Gabbert was a liability, and the offense functioned better with Chad Henne under center playing with the exact same surrounding talent. That's why Henne is there, and Gabbert is gone.

I'm not saying that Gabbert can't turn it around. He certainly can. He has the talent, and he's in a great situation now. Nobody cares about his adversities, every player has them. At the end of day you have to show results on the field.

No, when Gabbert missed the second half of the 2012 season, the team wasn't any better under Henne, and his passing numbers were worse than Gabbert's. Even though the second half was by far the easier part of the schedule that year, and the team had a chance to learn the offense by the second half. In 2013, Gabbert only got into three games and only managed to finish one of them. He had a cornucopia of nicks, from a broken thumb, to 20 stitch cut on his throwing hand, pulled hamstring. The team was at least as bad from that point on under Henne as they were at the start under Gabbert, until the second half of the season. At that point they picked up the offense to some degree and went 4-4 the rest of the way. Although no one was taking them seriously, and their opponents were mostly playing not to get hurt. But during the first half the Jaguars were setting all time blowout records on both sides of the ball. They were 0-8 at the mid point and Gabbert had played less than a quarter of the snaps.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ManBearPig99:
No children. But until you admit that you are a Niner hater, I will point out all the stupid things you are saying.

Chris

LaMichael James and Blaine Gabbert are 9ers.
LaMichael James and Blaine Gabbert are 9ers.

Christine Michael and Tarvaris Jackson are SeaCawks.

Do you want to keep playing?

No, when Gabbert missed the second half of the 2012 season, the team wasn't any better under Henne, and his passing numbers were worse than Gabbert's. Even though the second half was by far the easier part of the schedule that year, and the team had a chance to learn the offense by the second half. In 2013, Gabbert only got into three games and only managed to finish one of them. He had a cornucopia of nicks, from a broken thumb, to 20 stitch cut on his throwing hand, pulled hamstring. The team was at least as bad from that point on under Henne as they were at the start under Gabbert, until the second half of the season. At that point they picked up the offense to some degree and went 4-4 the rest of the way. Although no one was taking them seriously, and their opponents were mostly playing not to get hurt. But during the first half the Jaguars were setting all time blowout records on both sides of the ball. They were 0-8 at the mid point and Gabbert had played less than a quarter of the snaps.

You're missing the point. Gabbert made plenty of starts during his time with the Jaguars. They compared his starts to Henne's, and saw that Henne outplayed him. That's why Henne is still there, and Gabbert was traded.

Henne himself is a bad QB, so the fact that they chose to keep him over Gabbert should sound off alarm bells in your head. Gabbert has A LOT of work to do if he wants to salvage his career.
Agree Gabbert is not a good QB at the moment, but to say he's immobile and not a good athlete shows you really don't know much about him. He's a very good athlete for a QB, and there is game film and combine results that show it. The question is does he have the QB instincts and toughness to get the most out of his abilities. He's a project at this point.
Gabbert has more career starts than Kaepernick at the moment, and is still younger than Kapaernick was when he made his first start. I wouldn't call him a "project".

I think he is a project for sure, just not in the sense that it is normally used. I believe his work is mostly mental though ... trying to purge the images of waves of lineman plowing him under on every drop back. Here is the definition of project ... I think it defines this situation perfectly.

An individual or collaborative enterprise that is carefully planned and designed to achieve a particular aim
Starts mean nothing if you're not improving as a player. Gabbert was terrible from the start and continued to regress. He went from potential franchise QB, to traded for a late round pick in just 3 seasons. He's learning a new offense and approach to the game. He's a project.

It was injuries that stopped Gabbert in Jacksonville more than anything else. Along with constant turnover of coaching staff and players while he was there. There are only two players left on the team from when he arrived. He played through his rookie season with a broken toe and damaged ribs. Second year he had a seperated left shoulder from the start of the year, but played with it. He was doing O.K. up to mid point of the season (even though the team was learning a new offense), then he suffered nerve damage in the forearm of his throwing hand. Couldn't grip the ball. But at that point he had a better passer rating and completion percentage than guys like Luck, Newton, Bradford, Stafford, Tannehill, etc. Despite the constant turnover in personel around him. People whine because Kapaernick had to play without Crabtree for half a season. Gabbert was throwing to a constant changing cast of waiver wire guys his whole time in Jacksonville. They set records for injury time lost both his first two years there, and then he missed most of his third with an injury of his own. Quarterbacks always say it takes half a season to a full season to become comfortable in new offensive scheme. Gabbert never had that luxury. He missed the second half of his last two seasons, and every year there was a new offense to learn. He kept winning the starting job, then getting hurt before he had a chance to benefit from team familiarity with a new system.

He had a tougher go of it for his first three seasons in the league than any quarterback going back to Greg Cook, probably, who was having an All Pro rookie season then suffered shoulder damage that ended his career.

So what you are really saying is ... Good Luck Blake Bortles
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Children, go to your room... there's grown ups bickering at each other in here

• ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Totally reminiscent of Steve Young in Tampa Bay early in his career. His numbers there were worse than Gabbert's in Jacksonville. So they traded him to San Francisco to back up Joe Montana, and used the top pick in the next draft on Vinny Testeverde. Shoulda kept Steve.
[ Edited by ethan on Jun 23, 2014 at 8:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Totally reminiscent of Steve Young in Tampa Bay early in his career. His numbers there were worse than Gabbert's in Jacksonville. So they traded him to San Francisco to back up Joe Montana, and used the top pick in the next draft on Vinny Testeverde. Shoulda kept Steve.

Harbaugh is trolling the 49ers fanbase. Alex Smith 2.0 nipping at Kap's heels for the next few years until we trade The Real American for 2 2nd round picks.

Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Harbaugh is trolling the 49ers fanbase. Alex Smith 2.0 nipping at Kap's heels for the next few years until we trade The Real American for 2 2nd round picks.

I am perfectly fine with either of these situations unfolding. Either one is a winner
Aww.. cause I just love the name "swazye". It rhymes with "cwazy", which is an endearing word that little kids say some times.

Mental illness and speech impediments are nothing to joke about you monster
LOL, two thirds of the players in the league are using performance enhancers, probably. But not some guy who adds over 1/3 of his body weight in muscle during his college career. Not some guy who hangs with Ricardo Lockette and spends his off seasons working out in Miami. Nah.

He spent one off-season in Miami. He was there for a grand total of 10 weeks. And did you see Colin in college his senior year leading up to the combine. That wasn't muscle. Colin was just chunky. You're not a smart poster and it's annoying.
Share 49ersWebzone