There are 242 users in the forums

Is San Francisco going to have Kap casualtie$?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is San Francisco going to have Kap casualtie$?

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by reefer333:
I am a bit confused on why the contract is team friendly. Can someone please explain what I am missing? I understand that the team can cut ties with Kap if he is not living it up to the contract, but assuming that doesn't happen, he will be eating up a big part of the salary cap every year. Here is the contract details. Starting 2015, he has big cap figures.

Compare to Joe Flacco's contract, at least the first three years, the cap hit is pretty low, and not sure about the details, but if they cut him in 2016, may be they only take a hit of $11.6M remaining signing bonus? Keep in mind that Flacco didn't have any year remaining when he signed his contract I believe, so we should be comparing Kap's 2015 to Flacco's 2013, Kap's 2016 to Flacco's 2014 and so on..

1) First year number allow team to resign other players.
2) Low Signing bonus means little dead money if he is released.
3) "Guaranteed" money is year to year, IE he only gets it if on roster after April 1st.
4) His contract de-escalated (shrinks) by 2 mil in any season that doesn't take 80% of the snaps AND is either All-Pro or in a Super Bowl.
5) He has to buy an insurance plan that gives the 49ers 20 mil if he sustains a career ending injury.
6) Secures him for 7 full years at todays $$$ when the cap is about to rise DRAMATICALLY over the next several years (IE, this will look like chump change in 3 or 4 years).

Any more questions?

This isn't quite correct. His contract de-escalates any year he doesn't take 80% of the snaps and get either all pro (1st or 2nd team) or a SB appearance until the 1st year he does it. The de-escalation stops thereafter. If he plays 80% and goes to the SB in 2014 he gets the full 2mil per year every year as written in the contract regardless of what he does in seasons after.
Originally posted by WINiner:
This isn't quite correct. His contract de-escalates any year he doesn't take 80% of the snaps and get either all pro (1st or 2nd team) or a SB appearance until the 1st year he does it. The de-escalation stops thereafter. If he plays 80% and goes to the SB in 2014 he gets the full 2mil per year every year as written in the contract regardless of what he does in seasons after.

I love it. Gives him every reason to do it as fast as possible.
Iupati will not be resigned. Crabtree is 50/50.

McDonald is gone after this year. If Hyde and lattimore have good preseasons I wouldn't be surprised if Gore is gone before the season starts.
[ Edited by bigwads on Jun 5, 2014 at 7:48 PM ]
Originally posted by bigwads:

McDonald is gone after this year. If Hyde and lattimore have good preseasons I wouldn't be surprised if Gore is gone before the season starts.

Why would we release him before the season starts? Even if Hyde and Latt have the best preseasons imaginable, what does releasing Gore do for us? It free's up cap space? To do what with? Sign somebody? Who? How long will this player take to learn the system etc?
Russell Wilson be like;

"I'm injured.
F*CK YOU! PAY ME!"

"We didn't get to Super Bowl 50. F*CK YOU! PAY ME!"
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by reefer333:
I am a bit confused on why the contract is team friendly. Can someone please explain what I am missing? I understand that the team can cut ties with Kap if he is not living it up to the contract, but assuming that doesn't happen, he will be eating up a big part of the salary cap every year. Here is the contract details. Starting 2015, he has big cap figures.

Compare to Joe Flacco's contract, at least the first three years, the cap hit is pretty low, and not sure about the details, but if they cut him in 2016, may be they only take a hit of $11.6M remaining signing bonus? Keep in mind that Flacco didn't have any year remaining when he signed his contract I believe, so we should be comparing Kap's 2015 to Flacco's 2013, Kap's 2016 to Flacco's 2014 and so on..

1) First year number allow team to resign other players.
2) Low Signing bonus means little dead money if he is released.
3) "Guaranteed" money is year to year, IE he only gets it if on roster after April 1st.
4) His contract de-escalated (shrinks) by 2 mil in any season that doesn't take 80% of the snaps AND is either All-Pro or in a Super Bowl.
5) He has to buy an insurance plan that gives the 49ers 20 mil if he sustains a career ending injury.
6) Secures him for 7 full years at todays $$$ when the cap is about to rise DRAMATICALLY over the next several years (IE, this will look like chump change in 3 or 4 years).

Any more questions?

Those numbers can't be right. They add up to 127,629,691 for 7 years.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Why would we release him before the season starts? Even if Hyde and Latt have the best preseasons imaginable, what does releasing Gore do for us? It free's up cap space? To do what with? Sign somebody? Who? How long will this player take to learn the system etc?

I love this topic. The Gore mafia comes out.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

pre season is different as compared to when the bullets fly for real,, marlon moore lit it up in pre season to. so if some had their way we would begin the season with no gore and no vernon and we would be fine? stunning

I think Lynch in Seattle has a lackluster chance of starting the season than compared to Gore. -Gore is on the final (retirement) year of his contract, this is his last year, and his job will be riding out a champion, and Hyde and Lattimore ready, cause Gore will be coaching the both of them on the sidelines in 2015.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

I think Lynch in Seattle has a lackluster chance of starting the season than compared to Gore. -Gore is on the final (retirement) year of his contract, this is his last year, and his job will be riding out a champion, and Hyde and Lattimore ready, cause Gore will be coaching the both of them on the sidelines in 2015.
i really think gore and justin will be playing their last year for us. those are two tough decisions we will not have to make. if i am wrong and they come back and can still play at a high level in 2015-2016, i am all for it.. in regards to your last theory about gore,, i have always said great players do not make great coaches but in the case of rathman and gore i will make the exception and hope your theory turns out right! justin would not be a bad coach either

Originally posted by cciowa:
i really think gore and justin will be playing their last year for us. those are two tough decisions we will not have to make. if i am wrong and they come back and can still play at a high level in 2015-2016, i am all for it.. in regards to your last theory about gore,, i have always said great players do not make great coaches but in the case of rathman and gore i will make the exception and hope your theory turns out right! justin would not be a bad coach either

I can see Gore being allowed to find another team but Justin is one of the most amazing players I have watched. Unless he is hurt and stays dinged up I don't see him going anywhere. Of course, I never want to see a solid niner player cut or traded...loyalty to a fault! LOL! If I were the GM the team would look like the Redskins under George Allen.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I can see Gore being allowed to find another team but Justin is one of the most amazing players I have watched. Unless he is hurt and stays dinged up I don't see him going anywhere. Of course, I never want to see a solid niner player cut or traded...loyalty to a fault! LOL! If I were the GM the team would look like the Redskins under George Allen.
haha.. they may have been old but they played at a high level . i really hope gore would be like young and just retire with us. i do not want to see him end up like oj or franco harris, or roger craig and dorsett,, in strange uniforms just a shell of themselves. now i really did not hate oj at the time as a player because it was not his fault we gave up uncle jrs. farm to get him when he had nothing left. i do not want to have that type of an impression of gore struggling on some cellar dwellar
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I voted no but after thinking about it I think we will. But I think paraag can make the salary cap his b***h like usual. Im not too worried about this.

Paraag Marathe sounds like a subject/class one must take when acquiring their PHD
  • Taco
  • Veteran

pre season is different as compared to when the bullets fly for real,, marlon moore lit it up in pre season to. so if some had their way we would begin the season with no gore and no vernon and we would be fine? stunning
If they did trade a player at the end of the pre-season and choose to forgo signing another, doesn't the team have the option to roll over unused cap space to next year?
I just have to highlight some key points by our own, Cap Guru, AB81Rules (cover story). Epic work Jason!

As everyone knows by now, the 49ers were able to strike a new 6-year deal, worth up to $126 million with quarterback Colin Kaepernick this week. I have the details and the outlook for future years below.

Kaepernick received a $12.328 million signing bonus, which prorates at $2,465,600 over 5 years. 2014-2018 to be exact. He also has the following base salaries: $645,000 in 2014, $12.4 million in 2015, $13.9 million in 2016, $16.5 million in 2017, $17 million in 2018, $18.8 million in 2019, and $21 million in 2020.

Kaepernick's 2014-2017 base salaries are guaranteed for injury only right now, but becomes fully guaranteed on April 1st of each year. While the same is true for 2018, only just $5.2 million is guaranteed for injury until April 1st of that year.

Kaepernick also has $2 million de-escalators in his deal, in which he can void them, by simply playing 80% of the offensive snaps, and either 1) help the 49ers to reach the Super Bowl, or 2) becoming a 1st or 2nd team All Pro, in any year. If he does this is 2014, the de-escalators are completely voided for each year. He is also eligible for a $100,000 workout bonus this year, along with $400,000 workout bonuses starting in 2015-2020, and $2 million roster bonuses, tied to the game-day active roster, starting in 2015-2020.

Kaepernick's salary cap numbers are as follows:
$3,767,291 (2014)
$17,265,600 (2015)
$18,765,600 (2016)
$21,365,600 (2017)
$21,865,600 (2018)
$21.2 million (2019)
$23.4 million (2020)

Now this is the part of the article where I take a peak into the future, and let everyone know how the 49ers look, salary cap space wise.

In 2015, the 49ers currently have 65 players signed, and their top 51 salaries account for $145,155,798, which incliudes a $1,494,531 dead money hit for Carlos Rogers since he was desiginated a June-1st cut. For the time being, I am using a projected salary cap of $140 million, which would actually put the 49ers at $5,155,798 over the salary cap. But don't fear, the 49ers will have salary cap space, as some players seem obvious for either restructures, or straight out released.

Running back LaMichael James, who has a $1,050,013 salary cap hit in 2015, and would save the team $842,577. Note that James isn't considered a lock for this years roster, as there has been rumors over a potential trade for James for a late round pick.

Defensive end Ray McDonald, who has a $5,946,985 salary cap hit for 2015, would save the 49ers $3,453,014 with a release. I would expect the 49ers to try and restructure his contract, unless Tank Carradine shows major flashes, or another player such as Tony Jerod-Eddie continues to improve. Then McDonald could be seen as expendable.

Safety Craig Dahl, who has a $1,933,334 salary cap hit in 2015, would save the team $1.7 million with a release. Note that Dahl isn't a lock for the 2014 roster either.

A couple/few players who may end up retiring if the 49ers can end up with their 6th Lombardi trophy, are below.

Wide receiver Anquan Boldin, who has a $6.909 million salary cap hit in 2015, would save the team $3.273 million against the cap if he retires.

Defensive end Justin Smith, who has a $6,436,668 salary cap hit for 2015, and would save the team $4.25 million if Smith chose to retire, but that would put the 49ers in a bind if they lost both DEs.

Place kicker Phil Dawson, who has a $4.143 million salary cap hit for 2015, would save the team $2.643 million against the cap if he retires.
Just to be clear, players who retire usually leave a dead money hit. Examples being Ray Lewis with the Baltimore Ravens, and Glen Coffee a few years back with the 49ers, both of which left dead money from their signing bonuses.

Some obvious candidates for restructures, but not outright releases are below.

Tight end Vernon Davis, who has a $7,019,920 salary cap hit in 2015, could be in line for a extension/restrcuture, where he lowers his base salary, gets a new deal, and gives the 49ers cap relief.

Outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks, who has a $8.35 million salary cap hit in 2015 is a potential restructure candidate, or simple pay cut. He is making a lot, with a $6 million base salary that could be restructured down the the league minimum, saving the team over $4 million in cap room.

Inside linebacker Patrick Willis, who has a $8,736,750 salary cap hit in 2015, is also a potential extension/restructure candidate. He has a $7.065 million base salary, which can be lowered and converted into a bonus, giving the 49ers cap relief and locking up Willis for the long term.

The only other candidate for a extension/restructure, is Aldon Smith, who has a $9.754 million cap hit in 2015 due to the 49ers picking up his 5th-year team option. If he stays clean, he is almost a lock to get an extension, and in the process, would lower his 2015 salary down to a lower amount.

Taking all of this into account, and the fact that there are other players who make some money that won't be there come March, 2015, the 49ers should be able to retain some of their free agents to be. Namely the likes of Michael Crabtree, Glenn Dorsey, and Chris Culliver. I don't expect Mike Iupati back. He will cost way too much money to extend him.

I can see the 49ers extending someone soon, likely Crabtree, getting to load up in 2014, and then ease up the cap hit for 2015. Then they can let the cap numbers rise in 2016 and beyond, when the salary cap should hit over $160 million.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/1286-colin-kaepernicks-contract-details-future-outlooks-salary-wise/#8yYX4c0GxeaDBMM5.99
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 6, 2014 at 6:46 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone