There are 284 users in the forums

Move Justin Smith or Ray McDonald to NT?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
there both too small to play nt
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
who's bull strong? hmmm...okoye.
I'm not a big proponent of moving your best players away from their preferred position. RayMac and JSmith need to stay as DEs. I think Dial will be the guy to get the first crack given how he's performed at camp, and he's got the size to plug the middle. I don't love TJE so hopefully Williams can make a speedy comeback and Dobbs needs to get some reps there. I think we'll be OK tho, given we only need a NT there for 2 plays.

I'll be interested to see if we bring anyone in. I love the idea of a 6-2 330lb NT, which we never seem to have.
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
I'm not a big proponent of moving your best players away from their preferred position. RayMac and JSmith need to stay as DEs. I think Dial will be the guy to get the first crack given how he's performed at camp, and he's got the size to plug the middle. I don't love TJE so hopefully Williams can make a speedy comeback and Dobbs needs to get some reps there. I think we'll be OK tho, given we only need a NT there for 2 plays.

I'll be interested to see if we bring anyone in. I love the idea of a 6-2 330lb NT, which we never seem to have.

Cuts are coming in a few weeks. Maybe we can find some depth from other teams.
probably not because a bird in the hand....
The answer is simple. Bring back Sopoaga. He knows the system and has already played very well alongside Smith and McDonald.
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
The answer is simple. Bring back Sopoaga. He knows the system and has already played very well alongside Smith and McDonald.

Yes bring back SOAP and no offense to the OP but if you think Cowboy or Ray Mac can play nose in a 3-4 then you obv don't understand football. A 3 and a 5 tech is completely different than a 0 tech. You have to be a plug in the middle to play nose and we would be killing our pass rush if we did this. We have Dial TJE and Williams hopefully soon to fill the void.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Absolutely not and there is far too much panic going on. We will be just fine, not like Willis, J. Smith, A. Smith, Reid, or Brooks went down. We have guys behind Dorsey that could perform well including a training camp surprise in Dial.

I agree. The coaches and front office are paid to make sure there is not too much drop off with the backups. They probably spend more time in that area in the offseason than anywhere else. Williams is set to come back (hopefully) by our bye if not sooner. Dial and Purcell are the next man ups and with Tomsula - that guy can turn water into wine with D-Linemen. I'm concerned but not too worried. Every team is having TC injuries. And if they aren't - they probably are bottom feeding teams that aren't pushing the limits.
Originally posted by xcfan:

Hmmm, intriguing... Wouldn't be surprised if they actually try that.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:

I'll add Purcell in the mix. He was an UDFA like dobbs and ian.

Heck, we might even try Carradine at NT for some snaps, word is he is nearly unblockable and if he is that good I want him on the field as much as possible.

that clown okoye isn't making the team
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

With all the injuries - I think his chances are getting better and better.
No
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

With all the injuries - I think his chances are getting better and better.

Me too.
Share 49ersWebzone