There are 306 users in the forums

Tell me why (Our draft in relation to Seattles)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Remember when we drafted AJ, it was called a reach, and people said analysts don't know what they're talking about and it takes a few years to judge a pick...? On paper we look good but in 2 years this could match 2012. For all we know we've blown 4-5 picks for the ACL crew that will never play 1 snap. On the flip side all could be HOF material.

Give it time before you judge a draft or a player. I hate Sea and have always laughed at them but what they've done has worked...at least once so far. Let's hope that luck ran out and those late rounders never stick!
Originally posted by jreff22:
Remember when we drafted AJ, it was called a reach, and people said analysts don't know what they're talking about and it takes a few years to judge a pick...? On paper we look good but in 2 years this could match 2012. For all we know we've blown 4-5 picks for the ACL crew that will never play 1 snap. On the flip side all could be HOF material.

Give it time before you judge a draft or a player. I hate Sea and have always laughed at them but what they've done has worked...at least once so far. Let's hope that luck ran out and those late rounders never stick!

This is true. We shouldn't overly praise or condemn a player before they've even put on the uniform. I have good feeling about Ward. I think most people would agree he's a very good player, but some question the value of taking a slot corner/ future safety in the 1st over an outside corner or WR.

It doesn't resemble the AJ Jenkins pick to me. AJ and Kentwan Balmer were real head-scratchers, fans and media were VERY skeptical. Both were one year wonders, inconsistent, and had work ethic issues. Ward has none of those faults. He's a highly productive, consistent, football maniac.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

This is true. We shouldn't overly praise or condemn a player before they've even put on the uniform. I have good feeling about Ward. I think most people would agree he's a very good player, but some question the value of taking a slot corner/ future safety in the 1st over an outside corner or WR.

It doesn't resemble the AJ Jenkins pick to me. AJ and Kentwan Balmer were real head-scratchers, fans and media were VERY skeptical. Both were one year wonders, inconsistent, and had work ethic issues. Ward has none of those faults. He's a highly productive, consistent, football maniac.

I'm using the AJ pick in comparison to Seattles "reaches". When analysts give us praise everbody seems to agree with them. If it's a negative comment it becomes "if these guys knew what they're talking about they would work for a team." How many times did people here say, "Trent does this for a living so all the armchair GM's need to respect the AJ pick."

I do think this was a great draft overall. My only concern is that we are drafting lots of hurt players without having a success story of it actually working yet. If none of these guys really come back to full form, it's a lot of blown picks in 2 years.
Holy damn there is a ton of but hurt here

The Hawks are the Champions for a reason and I'm pretty sure those Champs are far from s**tting bricks

Really liked the Niners draft but Mel Kipers opinion doesn't mean anything
[ Edited by MoadyNiner on May 11, 2014 at 11:03 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
What does it really mean, if the media agrees that we had an excellent draft?

I am not sure, but just imagine what they would be saying about the Baalke-Harbaugh "rift", if they felt the draft was bad.

[ Edited by buck on May 11, 2014 at 11:04 PM ]
I'm using the AJ pick in comparison to Seattles "reaches". When analysts give us praise everbody seems to agree with them. If it's a negative comment it becomes "if these guys knew what they're talking about they would work for a team." How many times did people here say, "Trent does this for a living so all the armchair GM's need to respect the AJ pick."

I do think this was a great draft overall. My only concern is that we are drafting lots of hurt players without having a success story of it actually working yet. If none of these guys really come back to full form, it's a lot of blown picks in 2 years.

Gotcha, I agree. I got no problem with disagreeing with a pick, as long as it's backed by an argument. Never really liked the "they reached" argument, because NFL teams don't operate under a single draft board like Kiper or McShay's. Each team tailors their own based on schemes/philosophy/needs.

I'm cool with people bashing a pick, like AJ Jenkins, if they can explain why he's not a good player. But a lot of the rhetoric at the time was "so and so had him ranked 45, and we took him at 30, bad pick." I can see why people get defensive when they hear that.

The amount of injured players we've selected the past 2 years has almost been comical. I like it, because we can afford to based on our depth, but they have to contribute at some point and there is always increased odds they will re-injure themselves. We'll find out how sound a strategy this is based on what Carradine and Lattimore can do this season.

I agree not to judge Seattle's drafts too early, because a couple them looked like hot garbage but turned out to be amazing thanks to some incredible mid-round picks. You never know. Hopefully they f**ked up, and we kick their ass 3 times this year.
[ Edited by SofaKing on May 11, 2014 at 11:23 PM ]
Meh. I mean I feel good about our draft. But they are not s**tting bricks. They have every reason to believe they will be better and that they will beat us head to head. Beating seatle is not about talent for us. It's about sticking to a game plan and not being stupid with the football and not giving up chuncks on D. We are our own worst enemy playing that team.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Meh. I mean I feel good about our draft. But they are not s**tting bricks. They have every reason to believe they will be better and that they will beat us head to head. Beating seatle is not about talent for us. It's about sticking to a game plan and not being stupid with the football and not giving up chuncks on D. We are our own worst enemy playing that team.

Having fecal matter that includes pavers, may be overstating, but in my mind there hasn't been a lick a difference in talent between SF and Seattle for awhile now, or home field advantage wouldn't have run supreme.

But it is hard for a Hawk fan to argue they got stronger relative to us.

Seattle FA period were hurt more than us (or minimally didn't fare any better than us). They don't have an equivalent of, Lattimore, Carradine and Dial.
And lets don't even count that we made smarter moves (cause no on knows), we added so so many more pieces.

The ball bounced their way last year, I don't think that will be enough for them this year.
Wasnt McCloughan there? I thought there was a story where he was leaving due to family issues?
Seattle didn't have the ammo to make a splash in the draft. Given the same amount of picks the 49ers had, I am sure they would have done damage too. The ACL red shirt draftee story I find much more fascinating right now. If the 49ers really hit a home run with this approach, I can see it changing draft strategies in the future. The 49ers are really on the forefront of this movement, and it will be interesting to see the results and hear the analysis. If Carradine and/or Lattimore have big years, other teams will follow suit. It is a league of copy cat.

I really don't think Seattle is sh***ing themselves after the draft, or free agency.

The bottom line is they do things........differently than most.

Almost across the board it seems like Carroll and Schneider almost intentionally go against the grain with the draft. There are very few examples of them making the "easy" pick. Or taking the highest rated player that the Kipers or McShays of the world have rated highest.

They are always looking for the odd balls. Players that are coming off injuries, coming off a down year, players that won't play for at least a year due to injury, or are too (insert descriptor here) to play in the NFL.

Every year the experts say they reached, or took players too early, or took players that won't pan out. To date they've made the experts look anything less than expert almost every year. It's mostly because of this, I've given up stressing about the draft.

We as fans have no clue how teams plan on using players, what they're looking for on film, what they've heard, etc. All we can do is watch highlight clips, and read what the media puts out on them.

The other thing that cracks me up is the "experts" grades. So if a team picks players across the board that the "expert" likes, they grade well. If a team picks players the "expert" doesn't like they get a poor grade. It's almost comical for these guys to grade drafts based on their opinions. Especially when you look back at how all of their grades look after a couple years.

That being said, especially as a Seattle fan, I have NO idea how this draft looks or will pan out. Neither does anybody else. But here's hoping they continue to find lightning in a bottle with at least a couple of these guys, and they continue to grow and keep things interesting.
A huge factor to how a draft class pans out depends on how that class gets coached up. Seattle may not have gotten the sexy picks, but maybe they got players that they know they can coach up to their need.

Hopefully the niners did that too. I can't stand Seattle, but like us, their FO and coaches do a good job of getting players to thrive in their system.
Kiper graded the Seahawks at D-. The Niners got one of the two A's he handed out.

To me, it looks like the Seahawks were the only NFC West team that didn't get better with the draft.
Originally posted by Existence:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Seattle's game plan - cut defensive linemen below the knees, feed Lynch, quick slant, feed Lynch, QB scrambles to the right throws up rainbow after 7 seconds, feed Lynch, mug the receivers all over the field every play so that the refs think it's okay.

Damn -- when you state their strategy like that it seems so obvious -- but you are right on with this brother!

That is exactly their game plan. You just forgot one thing. Pumping all their late round picks and undrafted free agents full of roids. Everyone knows Dick Sherman is on some stuff. Dude goes from being mediocre in college to elite in the NFL? Holding and roids will do that for you. And somehow he got a lot faster... Even Pete Carroll is taking some s**t. He is way to limber for a guy his age.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by VA49er:

Having fecal matter that includes pavers, may be overstating, but in my mind there hasn't been a lick a difference in talent between SF and Seattle for awhile now, or home field advantage wouldn't have run supreme.

But it is hard for a Hawk fan to argue they got stronger relative to us.

Seattle FA period were hurt more than us (or minimally didn't fare any better than us). They don't have an equivalent of, Lattimore, Carradine and Dial.
And lets don't even count that we made smarter moves (cause no on knows), we added so so many more pieces.

The ball bounced their way last year, I don't think that will be enough for them this year.

Exactly. I don't know why people don't get this. We were ONE PLAY away from beating Seattle last year. Now take a look at the offseasons that each respected team has had. We have added significant pieces and a lot of talent. Seattle, not so much. Our draft was a homerun. Theirs is full of reaches. You are either trying so hard to be unbiased that you're being biased in Seattles favor or you have bought into all the media hoopla of how Seattle finds gems all the time late in the draft, if you think their draft has anywhere near the same potential as ours. It will be miraculous if three years from now, Seattles draft turns out to be better. Again from our current understanding of the prospects, our draft was far superior to theirs and they have every reason to be worried. SF is adding a hell of a lot of talent to an already stacked roster.
Share 49ersWebzone