LISTEN: 49ers Draft Hits And Misses With ESPN's Matt Miller →

There are 142 users in the forums

Pre-Camp 53 Roster Prediction

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • bret
  • Veteran
A few thoughts:

Lloyd saying he's hurt (although Harbaugh said he looked good in warm-ups) kind of smacks of Seneca Wallace. He gets cut. No one will pick him up and if we get injuries, he could be brought back.

9moon mentioned something in the game 4 recap thread that struck me as interesting: package Johnson and Boone to Cleveland. Kind of far-fetched - or is it? It kind of sounds like the Niners' way! They clearly don't want to lose Boone, but if the price is right, who knows! But who's going to offer that price. Maybe someone whop also needs a receiver, which would allows us t recoup our draft pick on a player who doesn't seem to be developing chemistry with Kap. Just a thought....
And am I being conspiratorial? You know they've been mentioning Gabbert getting x-rays. Do we stash him?

LMJ doesn't go anywhere. He has no trade value and he did the best blocking I've ever seen from him last week. I'd LOVE to see them keep Winston - he runs with violence; but I don't think it happens.

Everyone talks about Brad Seely's clout with keeping some core special teamers, but I think is the years some new blood moves in. I think Osgood stays (maybe cut then brought back after week one), but Ventrone, Dahl? these are spots younger players could fill creating salary space and setting them up to groom players for future roles.

Spillman is gone. Maybe McCray sneaks in; I doubt they can sneak McCray to the practice squad. I also wouldn't be surprised if Cox doesn't make it, though he's looked good this summer. I don't think he's going to get pilfered off waivers, whereas Acker or Dontae Johnson or even Morris would!
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by thl408:
You make good points regarding LMJ (ugh) and Cook (good preseason). But 8 CBs? I am penciling in Ward as a CB. It may come down to Acker versus Cook.
I think of Ward as a hybrid--part S and part CB. And you may be right about it coming down to either Cook or Acker.

So I'd keep Reid, Bethea, Ward and McCray at S, and 7 at CB, including protecting Acker.

keep Acker
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
Gore21, based on this roster, what are your ST coverage and return units?

Good question...for starters my #1 PR/KR would be Ellington, then Cox, then James. I can't remember if Culliver played on the punt team I thought he did but Bowman did as well so Moody or someone else fills in for him until he gets back. Although we might not have Culliver or Bowman do that anymore due to the injury risk. With punt return, punt team, kick return and kickoff team just too many guys to name all and know who will be at each spot so here are guys I think can be on multiple groups or be the core of our ST units: Moody, Wilhoite, Borland, Acker and/or Morris, Osgood, Miller, McCray, Dahl/Ventrone/Spillman (If they make it), Lemonier, Skuta. Bigger guys for the line or wedge: TJE, Carradine and Lynch and then maybe Seymour/Martin haven't broke down any ST to know enough about who will all be where.
Originally posted by jreff22:
You make good points regarding LMJ (ugh) and Cook (good preseason). But 8 CBs? I am penciling in Ward as a CB. It may come down to Acker versus Cook.
I think of Ward as a hybrid--part S and part CB. And you may be right about it coming down to either Cook or Acker.

So I'd keep Reid, Bethea, Ward and McCray at S, and 7 at CB, including protecting Acker.

keep Acker
Do we really need Chris Culliver? He seems very lackadaisical on the field. Not very impressed with him from what I've seen. I just don't feel very confident with him starting for us opposite Brock.

Unless there's major cap implications that I'm not aware of he's my surprise pick not to make the 53 man.

keep Acker
Do we really need Chris Culliver? He seems very lackadaisical on the field. Not very impressed with him from what I've seen. I just don't feel very confident with him starting for us opposite Brock.

Unless there's major cap implications that I'm not aware of he's my surprise pick not to make the 53 man.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

We're going to cut a starting corner? Because he looked lackadaisical in parts of a few preseason games?
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Aug 29, 2014 at 12:42 PM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

We're going to cut a starting corner? Because he looked lackadaisical in parts of a few preseason games?

Why not? He's coming off a missed year and a major injury. Didn't help us in the SB. Doesn't always play smart. Makes questionable off the field decisions (translates to the field?). I hope he proves me wrong though. 'm just not that confident in him right now.

I'm guessing this is a joke?
[ Edited by RabidNiner on Aug 29, 2014 at 12:46 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

Based solely off of the reps given to him as he played with the 1s during the preseason, he's making this team and will be the starting RCB.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
I really like your list and will work off of it, making a few minor changes to some depth spots. Like you said, what I hope happens, not what I think will happen:

(2) QB: Kaepernick, Johnson (looks more confident making his throws. Gabby lost any accuracy he once had.)
(5) RB: Gore, Hyde, James, Miller, Winston
(3) TE: VDavis, McDonald, Carrier
(6) WR: Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Ellington, Patton, Osgood
(8) OL: Staley, Iupati, Kilgore, Looney, Davis, J.Martin, Seymour, M. Martin

(6) DL: McDonald, Williams, Smith, Carradine, Dial, TJE
(5) OLB: Brooks, Skuta, Lemonier, Lynch, Aldon
(4) ILB: Willis, Wilhoite, Borland, Moody
(7) CB: Brock, Culliver, Ward, Cox, Morris, DJohnson, Acker
(4) S: Reid, Bethea, McCray, Dahl

(3) ST: Dawson, Lee, McDermott

- Osgood reminded me of why Seely (ST coach) will fight tooth and nail to keep him, so Lloyd gets the boot.
- Morris' rise as a gunner will make Spillman expendable.
- Was torn between Ventrone, Cook, and Acker. I'll take the young CB.
- Aldon isn't suspended in my fantasy world. If he is, I'll take Ventrone for the games Aldon is not with the team.
If Aldon isn't suspended then Skuta probably doesn't make the team.

keep Acker

He will be fine. Once he goes back to playing like himself you will lol at the thought of dumping him
the ones that NEED to go are spillman, dahl, and lloyd.
Originally posted by RabidNiner:

I'm guessing this is a joke?

keep Acker

He will be fine. Once he goes back to playing like himself you will lol at the thought of dumping him

Ok ok I hope so! Maybe I never thought much of him because he rarely is ever heard of during games (which means he's doing his job). Just came across this stat from PFF. I hope he can return to this level. Lol @ Dick @ #13. But it'd be nice to see the breakdown between TD's and 1st downs.

[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Aug 29, 2014 at 1:00 PM ]
GREAT NEWS - Aldon just freed up a roster spot for 9 games! This means we'll be able to keep one of our young guys that has shown promise!

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/maioccos-10-49ers-observations-entering-regular-season#slide-11

The rules for injured reserve/designated for return stipulate that it's not an option until Tuesday. If the 49ers plan to place nose tackle Glenn Dorsey on that list, they have to retain him on the 53-man roster for three full days. Then, the 49ers can bring back a player they've cut to fill the 53rd roster vacancy. The 49ers expect Dorsey to be available in mid-November to early-December. In the meantime, Ian Williams is slated to play base downs at nose tackle.
Bummer . . . so we need to expose an extra body to waivers before we designate anybody to IR-Return . . .
Share 49ersWebzone