LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 143 users in the forums

How strongly do you judge 49er management when it comes to handling of problem players?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How strongly do you judge 49er management when it comes to handling of problem players?

• fryet
  • Veteran
I read a lot of articles suggesting that the 49er management will be judged on whether they are tough on player misconduct. Cited as a bad example was allowing Aldon Smith to play after a DUI. But as a fan, does that matter to you? Is it important to you if management addresses the issue, or do you view it as more of a legal/league issue? Or would you judge the 49ers management harshly if they got rid of a productive player, even if they were having problems with the law?

Just curious. It appears to me that the media's choice is Option 3.
yeah
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I judge them by how many championships they win. If they take steps to make that happen then I'm happy. I don't give a crap if the media doesn't like them.
I think it's more the media making an issue out of it than there really was.. I only see really 1 big offseason "law" issues and that was Culliver. The Kaepernick fiasco was nothing. I believe nothing will become of that. Aldon at the airport? Well that just tells me that he most likely needs more rehab since alcohol seems to be an issue for him. HE won't be charged with anything. Kilgore...charges dropped. Brooks?? seems to have been quiet since the bottle incident.

Aldon is really our only head case. And sorry but football is a drug to our country. it's like heroin. Aldon can rush the QB, so i see the niners working with him.

As long as we win, and win that damn super bowl then the media can judge all they want. I don't care because it's strictly entertainment and plus we (players) really haven't been out of control on a downward spiral minus 1 guy lol.
They should never ignore player misconduct. I don't think that they ever have. The media sees it as we're giving them a free pass. That's far from the truth. It's possible to support and help your players to stop the behavior, rather than just kick them to the curb and saying to hell with you.

I thought sending Aldon to rehab for over a month, in the middle of the season, was a far more powerful message than just cutting him. That's not giving him a free pass. We voluntarily sent him away for 5 weeks because the team genuinely cares about him.

I believe Jed York wants that family-type atmosphere we had under Eddie D. That doesn't mean players have an infinitely long leash. We will cut a player if it's best for the team.

The 49ers are hesitant to cut their star-pass rusher, as well they should be. They're in the business of winning. I don't blame them for wanting to explore every possible avenue where they can help him and keep him..
Lets be honest... Lets put this on a smaller scale.. when you go to McD's do you care that the guy who is serving you food has been arrested for public intoxication? a hit and run? brass knuckles? bomb threat???? I dont give a s**t as long as my 20pc is there along with my sweet n sour sauce.. Us as fans should only care about the same.. We want to watch our fav team win... If Kaep was a queer and dressed up in drag and banged regis philbman i could care less... His conduct outside of football is not my problem...

As long as the players are not killing, raping or giving compliments to the Seahawks i'm good...

America is the land of 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th chance... so who gives a s**t what the media thinks of what we do? When we raise number 6 and this team goes down in histroy they will make a feel good story about how all these players came together blah blah blah...
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Haven't won the big one yet so they get a big fat MINUS ZERO!!!!

When they win (AT LEAST) 1, then everything out the window. Even Mariucci could've won an SB with the talent we have!
The 49ers are doing what they can. You can't fine them as a team. They sent Aldon Smith to rehab. With the NFLPA and the League there is only so much you can do.

With so many players on a team sooner or later you are going to be dealing with a problem or two. How can you expect to deal with 50+ Alpha males that have had their buts kissed all the way through college because of their talent and they get to the pros and even the lowest paid player on the team makes what you or I would consider big time money all in their early 20's and not have any problems?
I'm not sure if there's a "problem player" problem, of a "people problem." I'm not sure if we handle people in a way that benefits the organization best, including incidents of bad behavior. You could see a trend here.
FOX reporting management has halted contract negotiation with Kap...
[ Edited by CWin4949 on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:39 AM ]

http://t.foxsports.msn.com/nfl/report-49ers-halt-negotiations-with-kaepernick-amid-police-investigation

WTF is going on with this sh&*^t, I thought this was dissolving and going away.....
Originally posted by CWin4949:
FOX reporting management has halted contract negotiation with Kap...

Dumb on his part. He is shooting himself in the foot. His own fault.
When players with any kind of a checkered past are drafted it's a risk...through background checks, personal interviews, talking to their coaches, etc. GM's and head coaches get a sense of whether they're worth that risk. In Aldon's case, Baalke and Harbaugh obviously felt he was. When things turn south, the critics crawl out of the woodwork to point fingers. Classic example of that was Kawakami...who last Sunday wrote a scathing article blaming the Niners for not controlling their players better. I lit him up...because he was quick to point fingers, but offered no solutions. Then, a couple of days later, he claimed he had "inside" info the Niners weren't going to pick up Aldon's 5th yr option and that he likely wouldn't play for the Niners in 2014...from the very sources he slammed just days earlier. For years, the Niners had few significant player issues...and now that they're like the rest of the league, they're getting slammed. BL: GM's and coaches can only do so much WRT controlling what their players do. To suggest otherwise is just stupid.
I judge them by winning!
I want winners!!! I only judge managements ability to stay out of the way.
Share 49ersWebzone