LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 118 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Goodbye Candlestick Park

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CMIO:
I am no fan of Skip Bayless, but he said it best on First Take

He said that Candlestick was one of his favorite NFL venues, because the fog / rain / wet field / old feel / history gave it an aura similar to other classic arenas like Lambeau, Soldier, old Cowboys stadium.

There was something about Candlestick and having opposing teams come there to play. Levi's is a POS palace built for the tycoons of Silicon Valley -- it has no identity and except for a modest few, boasts fans that would rather sip wine and check their stocks than to watch the game.

BIG MISTAKE, IMO.
Hear, hear!

He said that Candlestick was one of his favorite NFL venues, because the fog / rain / wet field / old feel / history gave it an aura similar to other classic arenas like Lambeau, Soldier, old Cowboys stadium.

There was something about Candlestick and having opposing teams come there to play. Levi's is a POS palace built for the tycoons of Silicon Valley -- it has no identity and except for a modest few, boasts fans that would rather sip wine and check their stocks than to watch the game.

BIG MISTAKE, IMO.

It was a big mistake to do what? Move out of a 60 year old stadium that has been falling apart and rotting for the last 30 years?

New stadiums will ALWAYS be about making money. They're EXPENSIVE. You need rich people to help pay for it.

Candlestick had been getting lame home crowds for a while. The last time the Cowboys were here in 2011 about 60% of the stadium was blue.

Levi's has no identity because its been open 1 year. Candlestick had no identity in 1960 either.

Niner fans are unbelievable. For years we were scared that the inability to secure a new stadium deal would lead to a move to Los Angeles. We pull a miracle and built a brand new football stadium in the state of California, and people are finding ways to whine about it. Be happy we got a new stadium in the bay area.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'll miss that pigsty.
Originally posted by Niners99:

BIG MISTAKE, IMO.

It was a big mistake to do what? Move out of a 60 year old stadium that has been falling apart and rotting for the last 30 years?

New stadiums will ALWAYS be about making money. They're EXPENSIVE. You need rich people to help pay for it.

Candlestick had been getting lame home crowds for a while. The last time the Cowboys were here in 2011 about 60% of the stadium was blue.

Levi's has no identity because its been open 1 year. Candlestick had no identity in 1960 either.

Niner fans are unbelievable. For years we were scared that the inability to secure a new stadium deal would lead to a move to Los Angeles. We pull a miracle and built a brand new football stadium in the state of California, and people are finding ways to whine about it. Be happy we got a new stadium in the bay area.

Seriously. These same fans b***h about EVERYTHING!
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'll miss that pigsty.

This too. It was part of my childhood history. Dine of v the greatest (and worst) moments in sports history happened there!
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

BIG MISTAKE, IMO.
Hear, hear!

touché!!!!
I went down to the stick today to check out whats going on with the demolition the parking lot and outside of it was flooded it was cold and windy also. It got me thinking the legendary stadium itself was a advantage imagine teams show up on there bus and they see the flooded parking lot and the wind it messes with your head before you even step on the field, Our players were use to these things other players had to adjust to the Candlestick flaws. I have taken the stick tour and the first thing you see as a visiting player is the old structure of the building and the home of the 5 time superbowl champions Nothing about levis stadium is a advantage it's all luxury no one is intimidated to play there.
  • Jiks

Thank you...

that has nothing to do with the stadium. has to do with the fact it was our 2nd game of Harbaugh's tenure and we did not have any bandwagon fans to combat Dallas's

Im only glad we got a new stadium cause it kept the niners here. Other than that, from parking, to atmosphere, to its cookie cutter design, the place SUCKS.

From the day the design of the place was released fans were saying that the place was going to give this team zero home advantage. The thing looked lame on paper and it looks as bad in person. Yeah, I miss candlestick. Nothing can sway me from those feelings.
[ Edited by maximusdecimus on Feb 14, 2015 at 5:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Raul98:

That pic captures it's dump essence quite nicely.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

that has nothing to do with the stadium. has to do with the fact it was our 2nd game of Harbaugh's tenure and we did not have any bandwagon fans to combat Dallas's

That and season ticket holders would sell their games instead of go to them.

Now a comparatively huge chunk of season ticket holders are going to be businesses. Businesses give tickets to clients...Clients regardless of who their favorite team is. Which means a large number of those tickets will go to opponent fans.

That's the problem with requiring the rich for season tickets..it's not just rich people...it's corporations. Oh well. Not my team. Might be my favorite team, but I have no say other than my pocketbook. I already made my statement as far as that goes.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

That and season ticket holders would sell their games instead of go to them.

Now a comparatively huge chunk of season ticket holders are going to be businesses. Businesses give tickets to clients...Clients regardless of who their favorite team is. Which means a large number of those tickets will go to opponent fans.

That's the problem with requiring the rich for season tickets..it's not just rich people...it's corporations. Oh well. Not my team. Might be my favorite team, but I have no say other than my pocketbook. I already made my statement as far as that goes.

A lot of times the tickets are given away to people who don't even use them. They'll ask for them because people feel cool getting perks from work but realize they don't even like football. I used to get luxury suitetickets to the Staples Center and half the thing would be empty and there would be empty suites everywhere.
Share 49ersWebzone