LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 267 users in the forums

2013 - Week 15: Thoughts after rewatching the game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
any chance we bring Owen Marecic in to replace Miller?

I believe that's been done.
As much as I have been frustrated with our red zone play calling and play design, I liked this play. Kap has options to either side. The attention on Boldin, combined with his physicality, spring LMJ completely free. Crab is isolated on the right. I think Kap looks toward Boldin because the d is clearly in Man coverage, and he wants to see if the LB responsible for LMJ gets caught in the wash (see also: manhandled by Boldin). I think this is the initial read, but Boone loses leverage so quickly on the inside that Kap needs to bail out, and escaping right negates the option to throw left.

By the time he spots Crabtree, the space Crab has before reaching the sideline would be eaten up before the ball arrives, giving the db time to catch up and make a play. That ball would need to be thrown at the break for crab to catch it at a dead run (preserving the space his route running created). This still shots are great, but they lead to the assumption that the ball could arrive in the moment that is pictured. Kap needs to flip his hips and chamber the ball to throw it, and the ball still needs time to travel through the air, at a shallow lateral angle (advantage: defense on flat angles). I could certainly be wrong, but I think this was a consideration that caused Kap to hold the ball. Throwing to a WR on the sideline became a much easier throw once Kap was also on the sideline.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
As much as I have been frustrated with our red zone play calling and play design, I liked this play. Kap has options to either side. The attention on Boldin, combined with his physicality, spring LMJ completely free. Crab is isolated on the right. I think Kap looks toward Boldin because the d is clearly in Man coverage, and he wants to see if the LB responsible for LMJ gets caught in the wash (see also: manhandled by Boldin). I think this is the initial read, but Boone loses leverage so quickly on the inside that Kap needs to bail out, and escaping right negates the option to throw left.

By the time he spots Crabtree, the space Crab has before reaching the sideline would be eaten up before the ball arrives, giving the db time to catch up and make a play. That ball would need to be thrown at the break for crab to catch it at a dead run (preserving the space his route running created). This still shots are great, but they lead to the assumption that the ball could arrive in the moment that is pictured. Kap needs to flip his hips and chamber the ball to throw it, and the ball still needs time to travel through the air, at a shallow lateral angle (advantage: defense on flat angles). I could certainly be wrong, but I think this was a consideration that caused Kap to hold the ball. Throwing to a WR on the sideline became a much easier throw once Kap was also on the sideline.

Usually for me, it's very easy to see the design of the play and who the target was. This one had me totally confused in that I thought the fake toss to James left, the stare-down to Boldin on the left (holding the LB's which worked BTW) and the crash-down by Boldin on the left was all designed to free up and isolate Crabtree on the right in 1on1. If CK pulls off his "look off" on Boldin just a 1/2 second quicker and pulls the trigger just before Crabtree's cut, it's an EASY TD. But now, the more I watch it, it seems like an AR2 design to get James the ball on the swing pass with Boldin crashing down and blowing up James' man (literally, throwing him to the ground). James is wide open but CK didn't pull the trigger right away to him OR Crabtree so I'm left wondering if the design was flawed, their was miscommunication on the routes, or CK himself threw off the timing, he hesitated (again) in the RZ (common), etc. But either way, the design could certainly work to either side with no hesitation. I hope we come back to it some day.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 18, 2013 at 8:32 AM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

I don't think they signed him...unless I missed it.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

I don't think they signed him...unless I missed it.

Not gonna happen. Apparently he does not have the desire to play football anymore. Per Matt M.
"Actually just watched the slow mo replay and he was looking at crabs as soon as he got open."

"That's what I thought. I'm just curious as to why he didn't pull the trigger. It was a pretty big window... "

"Ok I figured it out now. Here is crabs wide open and kaep looking right at him."

"Ya he was looking at him."

"Reign is making a valid point about the TD though. I dont know why Kaep didnt throw it to Crabs right away, he was wide open. That play ended up being harder then it should have."

This is a major problem for CK. He does this often. He will not hit the open man when they are open. He will see them, look elsewhere, and then look back to them eventually. I don't understand what he's doing.

There is only one explanation, Kaep is mentally retarded. He does not like to make easy completions. He wants to wait until the coverage catches up so the chance of success is diminished. That's why there are so many football gurus on this forum telling us that Kaep is keeping the 9ers back.
Originally posted by jvangeystel:
I think it is ridiculous to demand perfection from a third year QB who really only has a year and some change of experience as a starter. Just like it was ridiculous that so many people assumed Kaep was going to make our garbage WRs better. He is learning and winning games in the process. If he missed his opportunity and still got the touchdown who cares. If Aaron Rodgers does that nobody would question the play. In so sick of the, "We won but," "It was a TD but." Criticizing Baalke after he's gotten us multiple all pros/ probowlers. Even Harbaugh after three consecutive double digit win seasons is greedy and unappreciative. What kind of fans are we?

Whiners.
My thoughts after watching the game is thatKap is gonna be a freakin beast once he gets used to going through his read progressions. He is still learning but man Crabtree got open a few times that Kap forced the ball to Boldin. All Kap is missing is experience under center.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
My thoughts after watching the game is thatKap is gonna be a freakin beast once he gets used to going through his read progressions. He is still learning but man Crabtree got open a few times that Kap forced the ball to Boldin. All Kap is missing is experience under center.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap2000000098169/Kaepernick-takes-over

1:05

Took snap from under center. Check.

Scanned through progressions. Check.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap2000000098169/Kaepernick-takes-over

1:05

Took snap from under center. Check.

Scanned through progressions. Check.

Yes, like I said, he is getting better at it. Still stares guys down from time to time, but he looked the safety off a couple of times the past couple of games. Kap is a work in progress, I hope the offense gets in sync before we have to play up in Seattle, unless we get a Christmas miracle it looks like we will have to beat them there, and while it is a daunting prospect, I feel we can do it

Kaep is getting better. I have faith in him. Give him another offseason and we bring in another stud WR and watch out! Offense is going to explode.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Kaep is getting better. I have faith in him. Give him another offseason and we bring in another stud WR and watch out! Offense is going to explode.
you sound like roman
Originally posted by ayetee:
"Actually just watched the slow mo replay and he was looking at crabs as soon as he got open."

"That's what I thought. I'm just curious as to why he didn't pull the trigger. It was a pretty big window... "

"Ok I figured it out now. Here is crabs wide open and kaep looking right at him."

"Ya he was looking at him."

"Reign is making a valid point about the TD though. I dont know why Kaep didnt throw it to Crabs right away, he was wide open. That play ended up being harder then it should have."

This is a major problem for CK. He does this often. He will not hit the open man when they are open. He will see them, look elsewhere, and then look back to them eventually. I don't understand what he's doing.

There is only one explanation, Kaep is mentally retarded. He does not like to make easy completions. He wants to wait until the coverage catches up so the chance of success is diminished. That's why there are so many football gurus on this forum telling us that Kaep is keeping the 9ers back.

Most likely it's just that he is not seeing what it appears he should be seeing. There is also the possible combination of scrambled read progressions, so in other words, making the wrong initial or secondary read on a play.

As we've said a thousand times. This is going to be a long process before it operates smoothly. Kaepernick is still far from a finished product. This is why we see the flashes of greatness, but with dashes of "what the?" scattered throughout still. We knew he was a project. This shouldn't be a huge surprise.

People's hopes and expectations just rose after a good initial half-season set of games last year. They rose too high.
*waits for thoughts on week 16*

Share 49ersWebzone