There are 192 users in the forums

Wow, Crabtree's not THAT important...is he?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Rascal:
The fact that we haven't thrown the ball makes the disparity even worse.

No, it doesn't sound right. If you don't spread the ball and when your QB only selectively throws to limited targets, it is pis* easy to shut down your passing game.

No team operates like that even when there is a clear No. 1 receiver. Let me give you some examples :

Seahawks

• Tate - 63 targets in 10 games
  • Baldwin - 48 targets in 10 games
  • Kearse - 19 targets in 10 games
  • Rice - 35 targets in 8 games

Panthers

• Smith - 76 targets in 9 games
  • Ginn - 36 targets in 9 games
  • Lafell - 53 targets in 9 games

Usually the slot guys will get more targets as compared to the outside deep receivers, but even then the split is not as extreme as ours. Besides, what do you mean by "worthy" ? If a receiver is open he is "worthy", otherwise he shouldn't even be on the field. And if your QB doesn't throw the ball to anyone else, no secondary or young receivers will ever be able to improve and increase his contribution. We just don't use our secondary receivers, period !! Is not even about target split, we just flat out don't use them. That is a flaw system and you will never be able to sustain a healthy passing game that way.

You make a valid point. I agree there needs to be better ball distribution. But the stats you showed previously were misleading because Baldwin and Moore were not anywhere close to being 2nd or 3rd options like the players you listed for SEA or CAR.

Boldin - 64 targets in 9 games
Davis - 48 targets in 8 games
Williams - 27 targets in 9 games

So you see, the disparity is not nearly as large as you were making it seem comparing Boldin's targets to Moore and Baldwin.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:14 AM ]
Mods?

Why do you allow SanDiego49er to login under different names to support his blatant anti 49er rhetoric?

More importantly, why is SanDiego49er holding a conversation with himself at 0 Dark Thirty?

Is he off his meds again?

Mods?
We moved away from Gore last year too. That included Alex Smith under center. We have never used the RBs effectively in the passing game since Harbaugh arrived.
Here's hoping Roman gets a head coaching job and Kubiak gets fired from the Texans and becomes our next OC. I never felt Roman was consistent enough to be successful in the NFL and its really showing this season. Sometimes his offense reminds me of Jim Hostler's, remember him?
Originally posted by VA49er:
We moved away from Gore last year too. That included Alex Smith under center. We have never used the RBs effectively in the passing game since Harbaugh arrived.

In fairness, Gore's ability as a pass catcher has diminished a bit. He still is great as the rusher, obviously... but he doesn't have the best hands these days for catching passes... and he often was late getting out of the backfield to make himself available as a relief valve. Still all around solid and useful.. just not an ideal receiving threat as he was back in the day.
Tom Brady could easily win a SB behind this Oline and this defense
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
You make a valid point. I agree there needs to be better ball distribution. But the stats you showed previously were misleading because Baldwin and Moore were not anywhere close to being 2nd or 3rd options like the players you listed for SEA or CAR.

Boldin - 64 targets in 9 games
Davis - 48 targets in 8 games
Williams - 27 targets in 9 games

So you see, the disparity is not nearly as large as you were making it seem comparing Boldin's targets to Moore and Baldwin.

I knew Vernon had 49 targets, but don't forget he is our No. 2 receiver, so his targets is supposed to be high. However, this still doesn't tell the whole story, KW had 27 targets in 9 games, but do you know how many receptions did he have ? 12. That means his completion rate was only 44%. This brings up another issue, that is we don't rotate our receivers. If a guy is only making 44% of his catches (as compared to Anquan at 61% and Vernon also at 61%), you need to rotate others. That is why we have such a sharp drop-off in targets for Moore and Baldwin. Seriously, say even if KW's completion % was higher, we still should have rotated our other secondary receivers otherwise they will never get a chance and you will never find out what you have in them. The Seahawks does that and more importantly Russell Wilson has no discrimination or no qualms in throwing to any of his receivers. All of their receivers have been making plays from Tate to Rice to Baldwin to Kearse.
Originally posted by Rascal:
I knew Vernon had 49 targets, but don't forget he is our No. 2 receiver, so his targets is supposed to be high. However, this still doesn't tell the whole story, KW had 27 targets in 9 games, but do you know how many receptions did he have ? 12. That means his completion rate was only 44%. This brings up another issue, that is we don't rotate our receivers. If a guy is only making 44% of his catches (as compared to Anquan at 61% and Vernon also at 61%), you need to rotate others. That is why we have such a sharp drop-off in targets for Moore and Baldwin. Seriously, say even if KW's completion % was higher, we still should have rotated our other secondary receivers otherwise they will never get a chance and you will never find out what you have in them. The Seahawks does that and more importantly Russell Wilson has no discrimination or no qualms in throwing to any of his receivers. All of their receivers have been making plays from Tate to Rice to Baldwin to Kearse.

That also doesn't tell the whole story though. Some of the wild shots thrown to KW have been barely catchable at best. Again, not saying KW is all that and a bag o chips. Just saying...
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
No Gronk, no problem--a bevy of no names will step up.
Actually, Brady's numbers are the worst they've been in like a decade (57% completion rate [63% career; never been below 60% in a season], 82.7 QB rating [95.9 career]). New England is clearly suffering from their lack of established receiving threats.
Originally posted by vermonator:
Here's hoping Roman gets a head coaching job and Kubiak gets fired from the Texans and becomes our next OC. I never felt Roman was consistent enough to be successful in the NFL and its really showing this season. Sometimes his offense reminds me of Jim Hostler's, remember him?

You think that Roman will land a gig based on this passing offense?

Our play action formations are the worst ever. They full no one.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Through 9 games;

Gore - 10 receptions
Hunter - 2 "
McDonald - 6 "

Frank has been effective his whole career coming out of the backfield. Hunter's speed can be utilized on screen passes and McDonald is the biggest target the 49ers have. The numbers suggest it's the coaching most at fault. If the coaching staff can get the ball to these three the offense will become more diverse and productive.

Agreed, especially the RBs. Gore is an established pass catcher. This dude used to catch around 60 passes per season.

Hunter and James would be extremely effective running screens from the backfield. That is a skill set that is not being utilized. The short middle is open a lot when I look at the still-images that have been posted. Perfect zone for a check down to the RB.

1st half against Carolina we had 3 easy completions that each went 10 yards, 2 to Gore and 1 to Miller. 2nd half they were nowhere to be found.

+1 a team full of talented RBs only utilizes one for the most part and with the lack of talent at WR that's a shame. IMO the fact that we haven't done much with Macdonald but have him block is ridiculous. Now if we were at full strength with Crabs, Boldin, Manningham, VD all season, then maybe but given the circumstances he should be a featured player in this offense.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
That also doesn't tell the whole story though. Some of the wild shots thrown to KW have been barely catchable at best. Again, not saying KW is all that and a bag o chips. Just saying...

True. All I am saying is we need spread the ball so other receivers such as Baldwin will have a chance to improve and be a factor whereby teams can't just key in on Anquan and Vernon and shut down our passing game so easily.
I think Kaep is a 1st read QB. I hate to even think it but the truth hurts, if his #1 read is covered, then he gets flustered either into a sloppy errand incompletion or a sack. This Coaching and Kape too.
Yes he's very important.

BUT our offensive problems are much deeper than one guy coming to the rescue.
Share 49ersWebzone