LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 354 users in the forums

Was Crabtree Really a Steal?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
He wasn't a steal, but when he fell to #10 pretty much a no-brainer pick. What did we have at WR back then? An old Ike Bruce & complete s**t otherwise. Even McClueless and Dingleberry couldn't screw up that pick (well they could've but thankfully had one moment of clarity, then returned to dumbass mode).

Actually McCloughan did have some good draft picks.

Didn't say that, I only said he couldn't screw up that pick after the Raiders were too brain-dead to draft Crabs. He was dubbed 'McClueless' for being an alcoholic. Incidentally the receiver Oakland did take is still only the #3 receiving option with best QB he's ever had in Andrew Luck.
That was a good read
Good read!
If he could stay on the field, he could catch more balls. But he couldn't, so he didn't.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good article. Please read it all before jumping to conclusions - the end surprised me.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1797754-san-francisco-49ers-was-michael-crabtree-really-a-steal?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-49ers

Couldn't even finish the article. Horribly written. Its hard to take Bleacher Report seriously.
That's it! NO MORE OTA's/PRESEASON FOR CRAB!!

If he can show that he's healthy at the end of the year, pay da man!
Originally posted by bzborow1:
The concerns with Crabtree are threefold: (1) Injury-prone; (2) One year of excellent statistics; and, (3) Diva personality early on. #3 I think related to his lack of maturity at that early stage in his life. I could be wrong, but it appears he's grown quite a bit since his draft year. Unlike TO, it is possible Crabtree learned from his mistakes. Looking at it another way, there will be no free agent WR with more talent and LESS risk than Crabtree which is why he should be a top priority for a contract extension.

The 49ers really need a good slot receiver to function as a security blanket for the QB. Crabtree is just fine on the edge by himself.

Injury prone and Diva are certainly true.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
The concerns with Crabtree are threefold: (1) Injury-prone; (2) One year of excellent statistics; and, (3) Diva personality early on. #3 I think related to his lack of maturity at that early stage in his life. I could be wrong, but it appears he's grown quite a bit since his draft year. Unlike TO, it is possible Crabtree learned from his mistakes. Looking at it another way, there will be no free agent WR with more talent and LESS risk than Crabtree which is why he should be a top priority for a contract extension.

The 49ers really need a good slot receiver to function as a security blanket for the QB. Crabtree is just fine on the edge by himself.

Injury prone and Diva are certainly true.

False. Injury prone yes.

If ever he was a "Diva" he's certainly matured out of that now. He was getting some poor advice and was probably promised bigger things by his agent. Happens to young people.
Hurry back soon crabby
didnt read article but that first round (esp. the top ten) was very poor compared to years past. I think he was a steal considering that fact.

• mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
He's a legit #1 we would be foolish not to resign him. I would rather have him than Lupati. And for people who say it's easy to replace WRs I respond with really? We didn't have one good WR since Owens prior to Crabs.. we had good lineman

... did you just call him Lupati?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mod:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
He's a legit #1 we would be foolish not to resign him. I would rather have him than Lupati. And for people who say it's easy to replace WRs I respond with really? We didn't have one good WR since Owens prior to Crabs.. we had good lineman

... did you just call him Lupati?

maybe he heard that dumb announcer from our last game. That guy couldn't say Iupati correctly to save his life.
When we made the switch to Kap we started using Crabtree as if he were the 2009 tenth overall draft pick. All of a sudden he looked like it. You tell me?
im very happy with crab
Great article!
Share 49ersWebzone