LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 341 users in the forums

Who will be our 3rd CB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who will be our 3rd CB?

Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by greywolf447:
According to Maiocco, Brock is still the front runner. I know we don't get to see what happens in practices but both Nnamdi and Cox have out played him. Fangio knows best and will roll with whoever he picks.

Just as I thought. I refuse to believe Nnamdi would be happy as a dime back and most dime backs play special teams. Something has to give.

Cox and Nmandi have clearly outplayed Brock. I don't know what gives. Id rather keep Cox and Nmandi and go with the young guys cooper and morris.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by Hopper:
According to Maiocco, Brock is still the front runner. I know we don't get to see what happens in practices but both Nnamdi and Cox have out played him. Fangio knows best and will roll with whoever he picks.

Just as I thought. I refuse to believe Nnamdi would be happy as a dime back and most dime backs play special teams. Something has to give.

Cox and Nmandi have clearly outplayed Brock. I don't know what gives. Id rather keep Cox and Nmandi and go with the young guys cooper and morris.

Me too.

I don't know what it is with Brock, Perrish Cox and Asomugha have been nothing but solid these past two games. Cooper has been OK so far but I think he deserves a shot at the 53. Lets not forget the 9ers still have Eric Wright on the shelf, I'm pretty sure HE can beat out Brock.

Tarrell Brown
Carlos Rogers
Nnamdi Asomugha
Perrish Cox
Eric Wright
Marcus Cooper

Aside from Cooper, I bet if there was an injury, the CB position would hardly miss a beat if that happens to be the depth chart.
I hope it's Nmandi
All I can say is so far for the #3 CB position its looking likes a helluva fight between Nnamdi and Cox.
It looks like the 49ers treat LCB and RCB as two completely different positions. Asomugha is strictly a RCB, which is why he's not getting a chance to compete with Brock at LCB. Conversely, if T. Brown got hurt, Asomugha would get the first crack at RCB, not Brock.

Brock is just the beneficiary of Culliver's injury, since they play the same position. Cox should get a chance to compete with him for that spot.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 18, 2013 at 4:56 PM ]
Originally posted by Kronos2560:

Why? I'm not trying to question Fangio's football evaluation skills, but we as fans have not seen anything from Tremaine Brock this or last season. I also never hear anything about him. Is he really playing that well?
and isn't that one of the most important things from a CB? not hearing his name? and he has been the #3 CB since Cully got injured. So he has got more playing time.

This preseason one of the few times you heard Brock's name is when Payton tried to hit Demetrius Thomas deep, but Brock had perfect position.

Brock is like Anthony Dixon around here. Some just remember stuff from years ago and have made up their mind regarding that player.

then as soon as they hear good things about the player they are all surprised....lolol... just watch the games and pay attention and you will not be so surprised.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM ]
Nnamdi is probably better than Cox in terms of coverage at the CB position. Cox brings added versatility as a contributor on special teams though.

Brown
Rogers
Asomugha
Cox
Wright
Cooper

In that order.
This is Brock's job to lose, but he's performed very well himself. Brock only allowed two catches for like 22 yards in both games combined and he's played more than any other CB. Cox looks good, but he is mostly facing the 3rd stringers. Nnamdi has been pretty much lockdown but all three have played well. I hope Nnamdi wins the job and in nickle situations they just move Brown to LCB.
I'm going to be shocked if it's Brock. To me it's hands down Cox or Aso, I want to see those 2 play against starters, Cox has looked great and I wonder if he could end up taking Rogers' spot if he sucks it up again.
Why will you guys be shocked if Brock wins the job? He has played very well in the preseason games and has been getting all the reps at NB in practice. He is the front runner as Matt Maiocco has stated.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Why will you guys be shocked if Brock wins the job? He has played very well in the preseason games and has been getting all the reps at NB in practice. He is the front runner as Matt Maiocco has stated.

Because he gets burnt in regular season games, 2011 NFC Championship is a memory I'd like to forget. Would much rather see if the 9ers could trade him, maybe get a 7th round pick for him. Besides, Maiaocco isn't very reliable when it comes to statements IMO, look to Barrows a much spot on and reliable source.
Cox is the best. But I doubt they use him there. They will go with a more experienced guy even if he is worse.
Depends on who needs to be covered IMO. Bigger WR's and crafty vets would match-up better with Nnamdi. Short shifty guys will probably have Cox jamming into them.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Depends on who needs to be covered IMO. Bigger WR's and crafty vets would match-up better with Nnamdi. Short shifty guys will probably have Cox jamming into them.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
I'll be alright with whoever gets the nod... when it comes to the rooks, I like Coopers size and I really like Morris' closing/overall speed.
Share 49ersWebzone