There are 196 users in the forums

Bad at Scouting/Evaluating WR's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Im more upset at drafting three injured players this past draft. 40th overall pick and hasnt even taken a snap? Tank Carridine may or may not be good, but we could have at least added a player ready to contribute. Baalke seems to think the cupboard is full when in reality every position is in need of depth except for LB.

ya, drafting gore was a huge f**k up. the injured players we draft are no just nobodies, theyre guys who wouldve gone in the first round if they were healthy. those are the kinds of gambles you take when you already have a legit team. when lattimore and tank tear it up next year youre gonna see why it was smart to draft them
He does have a point to a certain degree. We do need some solid production out of the young guys. I dont mind taking an injured player but 2 at a high spot is a gamble. While Gore tends to be the benchmark, I wouldn't consider him the norm.
They got too cute drafting Jenkins. Moving up for a player that wasnt even graded as a 1st or 2nd rounder is a pretty glaring mistake. They get a pass because how great the rest of the picks have been, but I never got the Jenkins pick, and now he might be even worse of a bust than Rashaun Woods, which is hard to do.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Aug 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Here's the thing though...Baalke admitted that the Jenkins pick was for the future, and not necessarily an immediate contributor.

When we made that pick, we already had three viable WRs on the roster - Crabtree, Manningham, and Williams - along with two receiving TEs in Davis and Walker.

And before Crabtree's injury, we also acquired Boldin from the Ravens. Knowing that Manningham and Williams would come back healthy at some point during the season, we figured to have a thriving WR unit. And with Boldin and Manningham's contracts expiring after this year, Jenkins would be ready to take over in 2014.

I'm excited to see what Jenkins can do in the remaining preseason games and the regular season. But I am not going to sweat it if he's buried on the depth chart as long as he does his job when called upon.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Im more upset at drafting three injured players this past draft. 40th overall pick and hasnt even taken a snap? Tank Carridine may or may not be good, but we could have at least added a player ready to contribute. Baalke seems to think the cupboard is full when in reality every position is in need of depth except for LB.

ya, drafting gore was a huge f**k up. the injured players we draft are no just nobodies, theyre guys who wouldve gone in the first round if they were healthy. those are the kinds of gambles you take when you already have a legit team. when lattimore and tank tear it up next year youre gonna see why it was smart to draft them
He does have a point to a certain degree. We do need some solid production out of the young guys. I dont mind taking an injured player but 2 at a high spot is a gamble. While Gore tends to be the benchmark, I wouldn't consider him the norm.

This was the perfect year to do it. We were loaded with picks and we have a loaded roster. I am shocked people didnt love those picks. They will pay off in the end and if for some reason they dont, no biggy. Worth the gamble for two people that would have likely been first rounders. We also still had second (McDonald) and fourth (Patton) round picks that will likely contribute. Win win.
Originally posted by Niners99:
They got too cute drafted Jenkins. Moving up for a player that wasnt even graded as a 1st or 2nd rounder is a pretty glaring mistake. They get a pass because how great the rest of the picks have been, but I never got the Jenkins pick, and now he might be even worse of a bust than Rashaun Woods, which is hard to do.

I still think it was Trent's way of cock blocking Fisher right out of the gate.
Originally posted by 16to87:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
If AJ and Patton bust.....I think we could throw a red flag up

Yes. Then we find someone that can come in and help us better evaluate talent at that position

should we bring back McClueless?

No Baalke is doing a fine job and I doubt the young guys bust. If they do then I would suggest bringing in a consultant to help us get the right guys
Originally posted by hohbie:

This was the perfect year to do it. We were loaded with picks and we have a loaded roster. I am shocked people didnt love those picks. They will pay off in the end and if for some reason they dont, no biggy. Worth the gamble for two people that would have likely been first rounders. We also still had second (McDonald) and fourth (Patton) round picks that will likely contribute. Win win.

Don't get me wrong I love the players. I was talking about Tank before most were. When I look at position like WR, OT, ILB you have to ask was bypassing those players worth it in the now? You will always have holes but we have some pretty big ones at key positions.

I wanted FS DL and TE and we got that. Coming into day 2 when I saw Tank there I immediately wanted him injured or not. We traded down gained a great pick and still got Tank. Excellent work Baalke. I wanted Tank over Hunter who might not have fit and would not see the field with Crabtree and Boldin at the time
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
it could be cost driven on why we past on the WRs above ?

How do you mean ?

out of the box thinking.. Like Those other WRs have a higher % of being great which could lead to higher contracts down the road. Jenkins didn't have a potential super star label , but could produce results without creating a superstar level (workhorse)

idk..thats the only reason i can think of why we passed on the other receivers
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
If AJ and Patton bust.....I think we could throw a red flag up

Yes. Then we find someone that can come in and help us better evaluate talent at that position

Jerry Rice told them to take desean and we didnt. i know that was the old regime but we wouldnt be in this mess if we took him. maybe jerry can be a WR consultant. he offered to train AJ at the hill and AJ backed out and still hasnt gone after over a year.

I am not exactly a huge Desean fan per se, but I think is a great idea. I am sure Jerry must know how to guage WRs.

Originally posted by hohbie:

Don't get me wrong I love the players. I was talking about Tank before most were. When I look at position like WR, OT, ILB you have to ask was bypassing those players worth it in the now? You will always have holes but we have some pretty big ones at key positions.

I couldn't see spending a high pick on a OT or ILB, WR yes. Sure it would of been great to get Woods, or Hunter, but we didn't know that Crabs would have the achilles injury. I like Tank, hoping he plays this year, same with Dial. Have no issue with Lattimore. a 4th rd pick for a guy who could be our next great back was worth it. His signing bonus was smaller than most 4th rd picks, and way smaller than anything a 1st or 2nd rd pick got.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

That is quite another can of worms. But, I agree. At the time I was thinking are the 49ers a hospital or something ?
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I couldn't see spending a high pick on a OT or ILB, WR yes. Sure it would of been great to get Woods, or Hunter, but we didn't know that Crabs would have the achilles injury. I like Tank, hoping he plays this year, same with Dial. Have no issue with Lattimore. a 4th rd pick for a guy who could be our next great back was worth it. His signing bonus was smaller than most 4th rd picks, and way smaller than anything a 1st or 2nd rd pick got.
Even if Crabs stayed healthy we have (you know this) lots of guys who are in or almost in contract time. I wanted to draft 2 WR's just to be on the safe side.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Well to be fair, we haven't had a great receiver since TO. I'm just as concerned with all the fail-FA WR's we've brought in. And perhaps, the bigger question beyond a keen eye for WR talent going WAY back to even Rashaun Woods, is why can't we develop these guys? And when we do, why does it take so long (ala Crabtree). Is the playbook that hard to grasp? Do they just not have much ability? Desire? Too small/weak? Poor coaching? Not included much in the HaRoMan offense? Hard to get into any rhythm?

THIS. This is why I'd rather pick up vets who are free agents whose mentorship will be very valuable as well.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
out of the box thinking.. Like Those other WRs have a higher % of being great which could lead to higher contracts down the road. Jenkins didn't have a potential super star label , but could produce results without creating a superstar level (workhorse)

idk..thats the only reason i can think of why we passed on the other receivers

LOL, OK got you.

But, it doesn't make sense. You can draft a top guy and enjoy him for 4 years for close to nothing at least before the big contract comes. You can always decide whether you want to extend at that point.
Share 49ersWebzone