There are 263 users in the forums

Whitner unhappy?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
I highly doubt harbaugh and company give a rats ass about what you or pff have to say, as well as any other coaching staffs. The fact is we had plenty of options in FA and the draft to replace whitner and we didn't. period.

Really? What good SS's were available in free agency, and are you implying that starting 2 rookie safeties this year was a realistic option?

Hmm Landry has played SS, I'm sure delmas could play SS, Woodson played SS, William Moore, George Wilson, Adrian Wilson... Where were you at?

I wasn't suggesting starting 2 rookies but they didn't even draft a prospect to take over for whitner down the road..
Smithers was huge that game. But, yeah, Whitner was big that game. My favorite game of the last 2 years. oh, no. He made the thread into an Alex one.
This is his last dance with us.
  • Disp
  • Veteran

Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Hmm Landry has played SS, I'm sure delmas could play SS, Woodson played SS, William Moore, George Wilson, Adrian Wilson... Where were you at?

I wasn't suggesting starting 2 rookies but they didn't even draft a prospect to take over for whitner down the road..

"Good" SS's, not warm bodies. None of those players you listed are better than average other than perhaps Wilson, and none would be a noticeable upgrade over Whitner for the 1 year he has left. Whitner is not terrible by league standards, but compared to the rest of our defensive players (other than Rogers) he is.
[ Edited by Disp on Jul 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I , like many others recognize Joecool as a good analyst of football and talent. Here we depart. Joe correctly stated, our best hitting safety , Goldson was a non starter the moment contract came up. The bucs got a great tackler. Coverage? unh unh. Which brings us to Donte. Again really good tackler, but like goldson, really poor in coverage. And in today's NFL , that means not for long. You gotta be able to cover. Goldson tackled like a train, but it was always after the pass was completed...and that didn't help us very much. Whitner's stop in the Saints game a while back was a classic. A lot like Bunz on the goal line, preventing a TD . But Bunz wasn't a cover guy and Whitner is. End of story. Question is just who exactly is going to play SS? With Whitner we know what we have in coverage...a weak link, and don't think Ds won't know where to throw to. Jeez we had a bucketful of CB/Ss in camp, and I think Coach H is hoping to put a talent out there, altho probably he doesn't know yet if we have someone who can cover better than Whitner or not. Hence TC and PS. Whitner may very well end up back out there, but if so, we are going to have the same vulnerable backfield we have had two yrs running now...altho it will be better with Reid instead of Goldson, coverage wise.

Stopped reading at Joecool being a good analyst.

All I know is that Whitner is always behind the guy when the other teams score on a post pattern. Great tackler, not much else.
not worried if we lose him. let's be real here: he is not good in coverage
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. He shouldn't be here THIS year! 14 TD's buddy including responsibility for the first 3 in the Superbowl.

Love the dude but he absolutely BLOWS in coverage esp. in the RZ and sadly, teams will continue to isolate him.

Haha, THIS!

Whitner, bro.. you should zip it. Consider it charitable that you iz still a 49er.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I , like many others recognize Joecool as a good analyst of football and talent. Here we depart. Joe correctly stated, our best hitting safety , Goldson was a non starter the moment contract came up. The bucs got a great tackler. Coverage? unh unh. Which brings us to Donte. Again really good tackler, but like goldson, really poor in coverage. And in today's NFL , that means not for long. You gotta be able to cover. Goldson tackled like a train, but it was always after the pass was completed...and that didn't help us very much. Whitner's stop in the Saints game a while back was a classic. A lot like Bunz on the goal line, preventing a TD . But Bunz wasn't a cover guy and Whitner is. End of story. Question is just who exactly is going to play SS? With Whitner we know what we have in coverage...a weak link, and don't think Ds won't know where to throw to. Jeez we had a bucketful of CB/Ss in camp, and I think Coach H is hoping to put a talent out there, altho probably he doesn't know yet if we have someone who can cover better than Whitner or not. Hence TC and PS. Whitner may very well end up back out there, but if so, we are going to have the same vulnerable backfield we have had two yrs running now...altho it will be better with Reid instead of Goldson, coverage wise.

I have a feeling one of our CB's may take Whitner's spot at Safety before 2014 season...maybe sooner.
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. He shouldn't be here THIS year! 14 TD's buddy including responsibility for the first 3 in the Superbowl.

Love the dude but he absolutely BLOWS in coverage esp. in the RZ and sadly, teams will continue to isolate him.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I want to root for Whitner and I like his leadership, but he sucks ass in coverage and is a large reason why we lost the superbowl.

Originally posted by 5280High:
All I know is that Whitner is always behind the guy when the other teams score on a post pattern. Great tackler, not much else.

Same could be said for Goldson.......
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by 5280High:

Same could be said for Goldson.......

Nah. For Goldson, the phrasing changes from always to often.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by Disp:
Well ProFootballFocus says he's the worst starter on our team, so not sure what you're going on about. He is not a good player, and was a major liability in coverage last year.

PFF isn't the bible, whitner has his weaknesses but he's a great leader and plays strong assignment football

Interesting that they don't think Aldon or Navarro or Justin are elite...
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Interesting that they don't think Aldon or Navarro or Justin are elite...

Guess they are thinking Justin's age keeps him out of the elite? (disagree)

... and that Bowman and Aldon need to prove more first? (disagree)

... but I could be a homer.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Willis was the only ILB they put as elite. Here's the rationale though, and he explained some of the ratings further in the comments (he's the PFF_Neil handle). https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/07/17/neils-nfl-daily-july-17-2013/
Share 49ersWebzone