There are 141 users in the forums

2010 NFL Draft: 49ers Class Ranked #1

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • J49er
  • Veteran
Still wanted earl Thomas at 11. And Dez Bryant at 17 but oh we'll. Davis and Mike are great conciliation prizes
A consensus "good" draft is where you get 3 starters, something all teams strive for. When two of those are all pro also, plus the other is going to become all pro, you would have to say that was a tremendous draft. 2011 incredible. Compare with teams who rarely get just one starter, not 3, and certainly not 3 all pros. A quick glance at the raids, cowboys, Jax, Jets, Bills...and so on....will tell you who drafted well and who drafted like ca ca.

Honestly, when several yrs pass, I think this draft will look pretty good once the guys have a yr under their belts. Reid, Vance, Lemonier, patton, lattimore, all could end up being terrific players, but we will still have to wait and see how it all comes out. If you want to compare FAs, there I think once again, coach Harbaugh and Trent did super. It all starts from the top and after drifting for half a decade(actually more), a President emerged(owner), we got the best GM in the game, and lastly have the best HC in the game. That is where it starts and it better be good...I would rate our owner, HC and GM best in the NFL...and that is saying something for a team that couldn't get out of the way of its own shadow prior to emergence of Trent and JH, plus Jed. Man are we lucky. In Dallas, they are double bat screwed because of ....you guessed it, the owner , GM and unofficial HC...big jer. Now that's a prescription for disaster....which is exactly what they have....very similar to their partners in crime, the Raids.
Meh-the draft could've been better if Singletary knew his place and had let Baalke do his thing instead of being so insistent on drafting Mays.
Originally posted by J49er:
Still wanted earl Thomas at 11. And Dez Bryant at 17 but oh we'll. Davis and Mike are great conciliation prizes

Wouldn't have minded Earl Thomas, but niners needed some linemen since they wanted to be a ground and pound team. Plus if the QB had no protection, having Dez would have been a wasted pick. While it is easy to second guess after the fact. I might have taken Thomas, but still taken Iupati or if Davis fell, taken him at 17 and since the niners would not have had to trade up to get Thomas, use that pick and the second rounder and sixth and seventh to move up into the 1st again to get the second OL.

Of course this would have affected the space time continium and means Reid would not have been drafted this year and maybe we would've not signed Whitner and instead kept Dashon. And this years draft might be totally different .
[ Edited by WildBill on May 29, 2013 at 11:49 PM ]
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I remember someone saying they should've taken him over Iupati and have either Davis or Bulaga play guard.

that was me and I stand by it.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Wouldn't have minded Earl Thomas, but niners needed some linemen since they wanted to be a ground and pound team. Plus if the QB had no protection, having Dez would have been a wasted pick. While it is easy to second guess after the fact. I might have taken Thomas, but still taken Iupati or if Davis fell, taken him at 17 and since the niners would not have had to trade up to get Thomas, use that pick and the second rounder and sixth and seventh to move up into the 1st again to get the second OL.

Of course this would have affected the space time continium and means Reid would not have been drafted this year and maybe we would've not signed Whitner and instead kept Dashon. And this years draft might be totally different .

We wouldnt have drafted Taylor Mays in the 2nd.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Nice! Not surprising since we drafted 3 elite players at their respective positions (Davis, Iupati, Bowman).

I also think the 2011 draft will go down as one of the best we've ever had. First we grab Aldon, a record breaking sack master. Then we get Kaepernick, the ultimate physical specimen at QB. Then you factor in Culliver, Hunter, and Miller. That was one hell of a draft.

Agreed, and the nice part of the 2011 draft was that all but Kaep were instant contributors. I remember like half the zone thought the sky was falling... Aldons a reach! Why did we draft a running QB?!?! Oh crap we are moving another safety to CB?!?! Then a midget RB and a DL who has never played FB before... Haha people were ready to light torches and march on Baalke.

It was the perfect "complimentary piece" draft, aside from Aldon who started out as a stud from the get go.
Share 49ersWebzone