There are 223 users in the forums

Position Group Discussion: Longsnapper

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Lock: Bryan Jennings

Longshot: that other dude
I dont think Jennings is a lock this year.
Noob
Jennings is a waste of a roster spot. Just have AJ Jenkins snap the ball. I'm sure that bust can at least do that. Plus it'll give him more versatility and a reason to make the team
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Move Jennings to safety
Most exciting camp battle IMHO
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Jennings is a waste of a roster spot. Just have AJ Jenkins snap the ball. I'm sure that bust can at least do that. Plus it'll give him more versatility and a reason to make the team

I like it!
Originally posted by 9erReign:

I beg to differ. A UDFA is NOT gonna bear out a pro bowl, all pro LS in Jennings. He isn't wasting a roster spot if he is effective. And he is.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I don't really know who has the longer snapper... as long as they snap it good, that's cool
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I beg to differ. A UDFA is NOT gonna bear out a pro bowl, all pro LS in Jennings. He isn't wasting a roster spot if he is effective. And he is.

I diagree AB. Just because he was undrafted does not mean he isaint a highly effective LS. Brian Jennings certainly is one of the best in the history of the game, But he has a high contract number, and has already toyed with retirment once or twice. Also since Baalkie has taken over he has brought in people to attempt to compete at that position every year.

Brian Jennings was better in those battles, and his contract was less of a concern. Gong forward that may not be the case, and since Baalkie has been bringing in competition, its fair to assume he wants to find someone that can be atleast close to as good as Jennings for a much cheaper contract. As soon as he finds a suitable replacment for Jennings that is young and cheap Jennings is gone IMO.

FWIW i predicted we would draft Mcdermott. I really like the kid, and feel he has a strong shot at taking the position from Jennings.

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

I diagree AB. Just because he was undrafted does not mean he isaint a highly effective LS. Brian Jennings certainly is one of the best in the history of the game, But he has a high contract number, and has already toyed with retirment once or twice. Also since Baalkie has taken over he has brought in people to attempt to compete at that position every year.

Brian Jennings was better in those battles, and his contract was less of a concern. Gong forward that may not be the case, and since Baalkie has been bringing in competition, its fair to assume he wants to find someone that can be atleast close to as good as Jennings for a much cheaper contract. As soon as he finds a suitable replacment for Jennings that is young and cheap Jennings is gone IMO.

FWIW i predicted we would draft Mcdermott. I really like the kid, and feel he has a strong shot at taking the position from Jennings.

His contract is not high Idaho. Its near vet minimum, with low bonus. I doubt he will be cut. He is clearly the best LS In the game, and you dont cut him for cap room, when you can restructure others to get room. Wouldn't surprise me to see an extension some time. He isn't making much more than minimum like said.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

His contract is not high Idaho. Its near vet minimum, with low bonus. I doubt he will be cut. He is clearly the best LS In the game, and you dont cut him for cap room, when you can restructure others to get room. Wouldn't surprise me to see an extension some time. He isn't making much more than minimum like said.

Im not gonna argue with you about contract, thats for certain.

But could you please post up his numbers, i was under the impression he was a highly paid LS. But obviously you know your contracts much better than i do, so im mistaken on that.

But also lets not forget that he has toyed with retirment, and im sure if we got a SB win that might push him in that direction.

Regardless, Mcdermott is a very capable LS. My Point is dont count him out because he went undrafted. Jennings himself was 7th round selection. And in October he will be 37. No im sure he could continue to snap into his 40's, but the question is will he want to?

If you can find a yound suitable replacment now, you do it, If not, than you still have Jennings.

Dont get me wrong, im not really thrilled about replacing Jennings either, but its something that likely will have to be done sooner rather than later.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Interesting exchange.

My money is on Jennings, but he is getting old.
He is scheduled to be a free agent in 2015.
Why couldn't he long-snap into his 40s, as long as he remains Mr Automatic?

Who exactly would you replace Jennings with?

Vance McDonald? And when he gets injured, what do we do? i am assuming that if Jennings goes down with the injury, you might see him fill in.

Kevin McDermott? That's just downgrading the position, you don't go from Best LS in the league to an UDFA with minimal experience

Hell Quinton Patton did some punting in college.....by that logic i don't see Andy lee as a lock or maybe we see Andy lee do both punting and kicking......why use 2 roster spots?
I always thought thats why they gave you 53 player roster. 25 for offense, 25 for defense and 3 for K, P and LS.
Share 49ersWebzone