There are 229 users in the forums

who will Nnamdi Asomugha replace if he earns a starting position?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Didn't we lose Soap, he can replace him at NT

Originally posted by 49ergold:
Originally posted by 60sfan:
Brown to slot is the answer.

100% agree with brown being moved to the slot, and i would like to see Nnamdi and culliver on the outside .

Bingo!
I would say cully gets moved to safety, at least now we have that option
Everyone is talking about moving Cully to safety, and I understand that completely because he played S in college so it's not difficult to connect the dots. However, (and I'm not necessarily espousing this idea, but I think it might be worth thinking about) shouldn't we be considering moving Rogers to FS? He is just a few pounds lighter than Cully, a very willing tackler for a CB and he would be an upgrade in pass coverage. Also, he wouldn't be as exposed for his declining short area quickness. Once again, not necessarily all in on this, but I just wonder if this isn't a viable option. He is making starter money this year, might as well find him a starting role.

In this scenario I would envision the secondary something like this:
Rogers and Whitner manning the back end
Brown as the RCB
Cully and Nnamdi compete for LCB
In Nickel situations Brown slides into the slot and whoever loses the competition for the other starter's position (be in Nnamdi or Cully) comes in at RCB.

To directly answer the question though, I think if anyone is the odd man out at CB it's Rogers. Not saying he'll be cut, they seem committed to him this year, but I think that in a situation where Nnamdi grabs one of the top 3 CB spots, I'd guess that Rogers would be pushed all the way down to the 4th CB and thus a small amount of p.t.
Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit:
Everyone is talking about moving Cully to safety, and I understand that completely because he played S in college so it's not difficult to connect the dots. However, (and I'm not necessarily espousing this idea, but I think it might be worth thinking about) shouldn't we be considering moving Rogers to FS? He is just a few pounds lighter than Cully, a very willing tackler for a CB and he would be an upgrade in pass coverage. Also, he wouldn't be as exposed for his declining short area quickness. Once again, not necessarily all in on this, but I just wonder if this isn't a viable option. He is making starter money this year, might as well find him a starting role.

In this scenario I would envision the secondary something like this:
Rogers and Whitner manning the back end
Brown as the RCB
Cully and Nnamdi compete for LCB
In Nickel situations Brown slides into the slot and whoever loses the competition for the other starter's position (be in Nnamdi or Cully) comes in at RCB.

To directly answer the question though, I think if anyone is the odd man out at CB it's Rogers. Not saying he'll be cut, they seem committed to him this year, but I think that in a situation where Nnamdi grabs one of the top 3 CB spots, I'd guess that Rogers would be pushed all the way down to the 4th CB and thus a small amount of p.t.

never considered carlos rogers at FS...hmmm I don't know enough to know if that would work. anyone care to join in on this and shed some light?
Tarrell Brown. Brown is ass compared to Rogers.
I don't care who/if he replaces, more concerned about the following year. Brown, Nnamdi, Cox, and Brock are all FA. If Rogers doesn't live up to his contract he could be gone too leaving only Culliver.
Not sure I see him replacing anybody as a starter. Could be the #4 behind Brown, Culliver and Rogers. Cox might sit and Brock would be active due to him being a ST ace last year.

Side note: We don't move are guys around... Brown plays RCB, Rogers LCB and when we go to nickel it's Brown RCB, Rogers Slot and Culliver LCB I believe. What it should be though is Brown RCB but when we move to nickel he should cover the slot guys since he is much quicker. He'd do better against the Amendola's and Cruz's of the league. Culliver should move into LCB in all situations. Rogers/Nnamdi should move to RCB during nickel/dime. We stay in the same spots so whoever is there they cover... I don't think it's like some teams where their #1 CB shadows their #1 WR, #2 vs #2, etc. Also, for covering TE's I'd prefer we not use Whitner as he struggled big time last year. I think we did a little too much covering with Willis/Bowman last year as well. Send them as blitzers, let someone else cover the TE's... especially the Graham's and Gronks of the league. It's one thing having them cover slower, smaller te's they can shut down but it was asking too much at times for those guys to keep up with them. I guess they did a solid job, better than Whitner but I'd like to see us blitz them more but we don't blitz much at all.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 3, 2013 at 7:06 AM ]
If he plays well and they keep 6 CB's then he takes the CJ Spillman's spot. Of course they would have to draft a FS to fight for the starting spot.
Fangio will mix and match ....and after the draft , we will have even more options in pass coverage

Share 49ersWebzone