There are 157 users in the forums

Need something cleared up regarding Dalton/Kaepernick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Also heard at that time that they traded up to get Kap because they heard Al Davis was going to draft Kap.
It's all smokescreen/coaches talk/things ppl say after the fact. If they had got Dalton it would have been spun either way. If they got Russell Wilson they would have told us he was the guy they were targeting all along. Only JH and the front office really know. All coaches do the samething
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
It's all smokescreen/coaches talk/things ppl say after the fact. If they had got Dalton it would have been spun either way. If they got Russell Wilson they would have told us he was the guy they were targeting all along. Only JH and the front office really know. All coaches do the samething

If they wanted Dalton, Dalton would of been a 49er
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
A history lesson on the drafting of Colin Kaepernick.Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130128/super-bowl-xlvii-preview-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2JGE2P1ug

Come back with me to draft weekend 2011, when the 49ers had the 45th overall pick and began to understand late in the first round that they'd need to move up to get the man they wanted, Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

I covered the draft in San Francisco that weekend. GM Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh had targeted Kaepernick and TCU quarterback Andy Dalton, in that order, before the draft. Late in the first, Baalke tried to trade up with a package of picks starting with the Niners' pick at 45, but couldn't swing a deal. He started again a half hour before the beginning of Friday's second round, calling the Patriots, who held the first pick (No. 33) that evening.

The Raiders, who'd dealt their 2011 first-round choice to New England in September 2009 to get defensive tackle Richard Seymour, were also trying to get the Pats' pick. That gave the Patriots leverage. San Francisco offered two third-round picks (one from this draft, one from 2012) to move up, but New England wanted a third-rounder this year and a second-rounder next year. Baalke thought that was too much, even if it meant losing his quarterback of the future. The Patriots hung on and drafted Virginia cornerback Ras-I Dowling. Baalke knew the Bills weren't going to take Kaepernick or Dalton at 34, and he figured Cincy would take Dalton at 35. So he focused on the pick after Cincinnati's, held by the Broncos, and dealt fourth- and fifth-rounders this year to Denver. Baalke got his man, and for significantly less than he would have paid New England.

The Niners drafted Kaepernick with the fourth pick in the second round on Friday, at about 3:17 p.m. Pacific Time. Kaepernick was in his hometown of Turlock, Calif., about 90 minutes from Santa Clara, where the 49ers train. Kaepernick was in the 49ers building, grinning widely, by 6:30 p.m. Eager student. That weekend, Baalke said to me: "Colin has a unique ability to think himself to win. That's something we believe is very important for an NFL quarterback, and that's one of the things that attracted us to him.''

Twenty-one months later, he's in the Super Bowl.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130128/super-bowl-xlvii-preview-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2JGDyPHWX

bump
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I watched the 49ers draft cam live. Kaep was Harbaughs guy.

Yeah...dunno why people bring this up anymore.

Only one person I can think of has ever said that the Niners wanted Dalton...and that was LaCanfora.

Every other piece of information I've seen says that the 49ers had targeted Kaep. He was the guy they wanted all along. The were CELEBRATING in the draft room when the Bengals selected Dalton. They knew they had their man.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by lamontb:

If they wanted Dalton, Dalton would of been a 49er

This.
my understanding from what was reported by tim kawakami who is very connected to the 9ers was that baalke preferred dalton and harbaugh preferred kap and baalke gave in to harbaugh as he's the qb guru coach who is going to tutor the player
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I watched the 49ers draft cam live. Kaep was Harbaughs guy.

Yeah...dunno why people bring this up anymore.

Only one person I can think of has ever said that the Niners wanted Dalton...and that was LaCanfora.

Every other piece of information I've seen says that the 49ers had targeted Kaep. He was the guy they wanted all along. The were CELEBRATING in the draft room when the Bengals selected Dalton. They knew they had their man.

This, Kaepernick was their guy, and they got him. I don't think Harbaugh's dad would make up a story about it. Look at the Real Sports interview. Now let's go win the Super Bowl with our present and future QB Kaep! Go Niners!
Dalton would have made more sense at the time because he was more ready for the NFL, and especially since we didn't have any good backup to Smith at the time. But Kaep certainly had more upside athletically but needed more time to get developed. We were very lucky Smith didn't get injured last year.

It's a tribute to Kaep on the way he has developed himself with Harbaugh's help. He looks a lot better with time and dropping back in the pocket. All he needs to do is reading the defense and anticipate from the plays better. Especially in the red zone. I think they are doing that slowly with Kaep. The dude will be on fire next year. More receiving weapons for Kaep please Baalke.

I'm thinking league MVP
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 28, 2013 at 9:16 AM ]
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yes that is true! I remembered that 49ers really wanted Dalton but Cinn bengals changed his mind then grab to Dalton! I was so happy! i suprised it that 49ers did jump and trade up to grab Kaep! I was like.. Yessss!!! I really must to say thank you Cinn Bengals!! Good Job 49ers did grab with Kaep!

Not really. Harbaugh always wanted Kaepernick, he spent the most time with Kaepernick, that was his guy. I remember hearing that Baalke and some of the other scouts were interested in Dalton but Harbaugh always wanted Kaepernick and only Kaepernick, he felt that Dalton was more ready but that Kaepernick had significantly better tools and upside.
Serious? Good Job Harbaugh!! I am so happy.. I am tell u the true cuz i really interested in Kaep more than Dalton because i watched Kaep on video youtube what he did play for college and chamionship. he did beat the Boise college. My eyes on him.. he looked good and smart to plays and good his mind and get to fight the win games.. I loved it..

lmao! "I am tell you the true". CLASSIC. And the run on sentence of broken english! hilarious! bro!....LOL... anyway...

Andrew Luck help turn Harbaugh's eyes onto Kaepernick... IIRC.

You knoww what's funny? The Bengal fans have a thread on kaep vs dalton saying they shud have drafted kaep instead of dalton
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/ostler/article/Harbaugh-road-tested-Kaepernick-in-2011-4218962.php#photo-4077921

andrew luck also recommended colin to harbaugh

Harbaugh asked him if he'd seen anyone who looked good.

Oh yeah, Luck said. Colin Kaepernick.

Andrew Luck: the Bay Area gift that keeps on giving.

In picking Luck's brain, was Harbaugh thinking and plotting ahead one year, to when he might be an NFL coach for a team in need of a good young quarterback? Who knows?

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/ostler/article/Harbaugh-road-tested-Kaepernick-in-2011-4218962.php#ixzz2JIDsZNwF

Freakin Jim Harbaugh...
I'm not sure why this matters? I mean, we are in the superbowl, and we have Kap. Cincinattie is watching from home? Done deal in my book.
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
A history lesson on the drafting of Colin Kaepernick.Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130128/super-bowl-xlvii-preview-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2JGE2P1ug

Come back with me to draft weekend 2011, when the 49ers had the 45th overall pick and began to understand late in the first round that they'd need to move up to get the man they wanted, Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

I covered the draft in San Francisco that weekend. GM Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh had targeted Kaepernick and TCU quarterback Andy Dalton, in that order, before the draft. Late in the first, Baalke tried to trade up with a package of picks starting with the Niners' pick at 45, but couldn't swing a deal. He started again a half hour before the beginning of Friday's second round, calling the Patriots, who held the first pick (No. 33) that evening.

The Raiders, who'd dealt their 2011 first-round choice to New England in September 2009 to get defensive tackle Richard Seymour, were also trying to get the Pats' pick. That gave the Patriots leverage. San Francisco offered two third-round picks (one from this draft, one from 2012) to move up, but New England wanted a third-rounder this year and a second-rounder next year. Baalke thought that was too much, even if it meant losing his quarterback of the future. The Patriots hung on and drafted Virginia cornerback Ras-I Dowling. Baalke knew the Bills weren't going to take Kaepernick or Dalton at 34, and he figured Cincy would take Dalton at 35. So he focused on the pick after Cincinnati's, held by the Broncos, and dealt fourth- and fifth-rounders this year to Denver. Baalke got his man, and for significantly less than he would have paid New England.

The Niners drafted Kaepernick with the fourth pick in the second round on Friday, at about 3:17 p.m. Pacific Time. Kaepernick was in his hometown of Turlock, Calif., about 90 minutes from Santa Clara, where the 49ers train. Kaepernick was in the 49ers building, grinning widely, by 6:30 p.m. Eager student. That weekend, Baalke said to me: "Colin has a unique ability to think himself to win. That's something we believe is very important for an NFL quarterback, and that's one of the things that attracted us to him.''

Twenty-one months later, he's in the Super Bowl.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130128/super-bowl-xlvii-preview-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2JGDyPHWX

Didn't Coach call Baalke "A Steel Eyed Missle Man" about then, or was that the next years draft?
Originally posted by RYPTOUT:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yes that is true! I remembered that 49ers really wanted Dalton but Cinn bengals changed his mind then grab to Dalton! I was so happy! i suprised it that 49ers did jump and trade up to grab Kaep! I was like.. Yessss!!! I really must to say thank you Cinn Bengals!! Good Job 49ers did grab with Kaep!

Not really. Harbaugh always wanted Kaepernick, he spent the most time with Kaepernick, that was his guy. I remember hearing that Baalke and some of the other scouts were interested in Dalton but Harbaugh always wanted Kaepernick and only Kaepernick, he felt that Dalton was more ready but that Kaepernick had significantly better tools and upside.
Serious? Good Job Harbaugh!! I am so happy.. I am tell u the true cuz i really interested in Kaep more than Dalton because i watched Kaep on video youtube what he did play for college and chamionship. he did beat the Boise college. My eyes on him.. he looked good and smart to plays and good his mind and get to fight the win games.. I loved it..

lmao! "I am tell you the true". CLASSIC. And the run on sentence of broken english! hilarious! bro!....LOL... anyway...

Andrew Luck help turn Harbaugh's eyes onto Kaepernick... IIRC.

LOL.. i am a broken English? u know, i am a deaf cuz i am having hard time with sentence English. bro..

If I can't image about 49ers can without harbaugh then lost interest to draft for Kaep?.. I am glad that we have a head coach Harbaugh! He is same to me that we are interested in kaep..
Share 49ersWebzone