LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 156 users in the forums

John Taylor

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Taylor had great hands and wicked moves - very under-rated. And, what a class act, playing opposite Jerry Rice and never the slightest bitterness or whining about his chances. Taylor owns two of the greatest moments in Niner history: obviously, the catch at the end of the '88 season's Superbowl, but also that incredible Rams game where he took two different short slants from Montana and turned both of them into 90-yard TD's. Great player.

Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
I sure wish we went back to white shoes and striped socks. When a franchise has as much history as the 49ers do, there are certain things, if anything, that you just shouldn't change.

... like shoe/sock color combinations

This ^ and that's a great picture...how many years later we still need WR's!!
Here's something interesting I came across today -- JT actually was a nominee in this year's Pro Football Hall of Fame

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/pro-football-hall-of-fame-2018-ray-lewis-hines-ward-randy-moss/1lst7knftaglg1sv7r8an34xzp?i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3D

"WIDE RECEIVERS
(13) – *Isaac Bruce, Donald Driver, Henry Ellard (also PR), Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, *Terrell Owens, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Steve Smith, John Taylor, Hines Ward"

I think it's awesome he even made the nominee list.

And then this amusing wikipedia entry:

"At one time, Taylor owned a trucking company but still drives a truck and leads a quiet life off the field. His only moments in any sort of spotlight come when he's participating in celebrity golf events, such as ones sponsored by his Alma mater, Delaware State. In 2005, he was inducted into the Delaware Sports Museum and Hall of Fame. He also worked in San Jose juvenile detention, as a staff member in unit B-4."
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Apr 14, 2018 at 10:39 PM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Here's something interesting I came across today -- JT actually was a nominee in this year's Pro Football Hall of Fame

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/pro-football-hall-of-fame-2018-ray-lewis-hines-ward-randy-moss/1lst7knftaglg1sv7r8an34xzp?i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3D

"WIDE RECEIVERS
(13) – *Isaac Bruce, Donald Driver, Henry Ellard (also PR), Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, *Terrell Owens, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Steve Smith, John Taylor, Hines Ward"

I think it's awesome he even made the nominee list.

And then this amusing wikipedia entry:

"At one time, Taylor owned a trucking company but still drives a truck and leads a quiet life off the field. His only moments in any sort of spotlight come when he's participating in celebrity golf events, such as ones sponsored by his Alma mater, Delaware State. In 2005, he was inducted into the Delaware Sports Museum and Hall of Fame. He also worked in San Jose juvenile detention, as a staff member in unit B-4."

Absolutely my all time favourite. By every account a really great guy.
Didn't he get busted a few years back for having a bunch of crack?
Jt was essential to our success. Better catching hands than jerry. A top 5 punt returner of modern era no doubt. Also showed unbelivable compsure in the open field. Nobody could slow down unblocked tacklers like jt. A historic draft steal.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Didn't he get busted a few years back for having a bunch of crack?

I think it was mere cocaine.

4 game suspension in '88.
He was my friends neighbor in redwood shores. Remember his liquor bin full during recycling day.
Without John Taylor JR never becomes the GOAT... Taylor was so good he made defenses cover the entire back end and they could not shade or bracket to JR's side or they knew they would get singled on Taylor and he would burn them...
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Team sport. W/out him, a lot of things may have not gone our way (rings, other player's stats, etc.).

If JR wasn't on the team, he would've been our GOAT and possibly the GOAT (Montana to Taylor)

I like to think of like John Stallworth, running along side Lynn Swann. Rice and JT were tremendous together and probably opened holes for the TEs.
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:
I like to think of like John Stallworth, running along side Lynn Swann. Rice and JT were tremendous together and probably opened holes for the TEs.

And of course for Roger Craig who was as good as an extra receiver. All those weapons! But what made JT great, IMO, was his lack of ego. What other receiver would have happily played 2nd fiddle to Rice, shared catches with Craig and Jones and Rathman and not thrown hissy fits about not getting enough ball or enough recognition. He could have broken up the team had he possessed the ego of Rice or Owens. But he didn't, he was totally a team guy.

My hero!
One of my all time favorite Niners, blue collar guy, brought real grit and toughness to the task. What I call "a lunch box guy" a no frills, no BS, here to work kinda guy.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
One of my all time favorite Niners, blue collar guy, brought real grit and toughness to the task. What I call "a lunch box guy" a no frills, no BS, here to work kinda guy.

And is a truck driver now I believe.
I think Rice said that if Taylor had his work ethic he could've been the best ever.
Share 49ersWebzone