LISTEN: 49ers Drafted For Now And The Future →

There are 136 users in the forums

Can someone educate me on why Chris Culliver cant play the slot?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
agree! but I don't think things will change. we will probably let rogers go and I say we draft poyer from OSU to handle the slot
CULLYINDAHOUSE Damn what a steal
Cully is coming on strong but Rogers is the best overall option they have in the slot. "Best at recognizing the play" "Best at studing his opponent " Best CB at tackling from the nickle" That slot requires help for zone sitting and self discipline to spy and cover at the same time. Although that would not stop me from putting in Parrish Cox to blitz and bat down balls and cove the flats.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
42.9% completion percentage. Best among all CBs in the nfl. I'll take that run with it.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Somebody educate me on why people can't type a player's name instead of their initials.

Maybe CC should be on WW, while DG and DW play over the top, but make sure CR isn't in man coverage because he sucks at it. TB is pretty good though. Maybe AS and JS will get some pressure on TB.

no 1 curred, lol
Somebody educate me on why people can't type a player's name instead of their initials.

Maybe CC should be on WW, while DG and DW play over the top, but make sure CR isn't in man coverage because he sucks at it. TB is pretty good though. Maybe AS and JS will get some pressure on TB.

Cue Justin Timberlake, "cry me a river"
I originally thought that Culliver was too tall to cover the slot but he and Rogers are both listed as 6'0 and close to the same weight. To cover that position you have to be able to scramble. There is no set throw inside 8-10 yards, the receiver feels the pressure and moves or jukes away from the coverage. If you try and stop him at the line and miss and the coverage is late there goes a big gainer. Culliver is very effective on the edge because he has this ability to use the sidelines as another defender. Do you want to experiment at this late stage with Culliver against the slot? Cox may be an alternative, but a better one is Pat and Bo, once the receiver makes the catch give one of them a clean shot and they will be hearing footsteps the entire game, you can also add Goldson, and Whitner and Brooks, man the whole defense is scary.

Very gay post, chap. Really enjoyed it
They have received much criticism, particularly early in the year, but I really like our DBs. They do lose sometimes but our DLine was less aggressive for a while and the DBs still did well.

Thats a 10 4 good buddy.

Originally posted by sfout:
Sorry to be a d**k but did you even read what he wrote because your counter point has almost nothing to do with what he said......

Culliver is our best cover corner, the statistics dont lie, Brown is the 2nd best but he gets called for mad penalties, Rogers is our weakest link as he relies heavily on film study and half time adjustments to be effective(this has been document by the media and Rogers admits its his biggest positive and negative)

You're fine. I was disagreeing with idea that you put the weaker corner to cover the slot.

Stats do not tell the entire truth and while i am impressed with Cully he typically is not matched up against the opposing teams best option at WR.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Squidp:
Sorry to be a d**k but did you even read what he wrote because your counter point has almost nothing to do with what he said......

Culliver is our best cover corner, the statistics dont lie, Brown is the 2nd best but he gets called for mad penalties, Rogers is our weakest link as he relies heavily on film study and half time adjustments to be effective(this has been document by the media and Rogers admits its his biggest positive and negative)

You're fine. I was disagreeing with idea that you put the weaker corner to cover the slot.

Stats do not tell the entire truth and while i am impressed with Cully he typically is not matched up against the opposing teams best option at WR.

Typically not matched up with the best WR? Teams like the Rams and Giants are ATYPICAL in the NFL. Week by week this is who Cully has covered

Week 1: Greg Jennings / Jordy Nelson - base downs he guarded Jennings IIRC, on passing downs he guarded Nelson, the best deep threat on GB
Week 2: Calvin Johnson - Best WR in football?
Week 3: Malcom Jenkins - Most physical WR on the vikings, Harvin lined up out of the backfield most of the game if not in the slot
Week 4: Chaz Schilens - Again the most physical WR on their team, also think he covered Holmes on certain plays
Week 5: Donald Jones / Stevie Johson
Week 6: Dominek Hixon - I dont recall if he guarded Nicks at all but this was his weakest game of the season 4 receptions for 78 yards
Week 7: Golden Tate - was the player I recall him guarding this game, I dont think Tate had a catch...
Week 8: Michael Floyd - again not best option but most physical WR on their roster, not sure how much of Fitz he saw
Week 10 : Brian Quick - Again probably their 4th best WR Givens was out and Cully's worst play of the season came when he fell trying to do bump n run allowing a TD
Week 11: Brandon Marshall / Earl Bennet: allowed that garbage time TD for Marshall but overall a god game against their 2 best WRs
Week 12: Pretty much all of them but primarily Lance Moore(2nd best WR) - Had a great game but gave up a big defensive holding call
Week 13: Pretty much the same as last rams game but I think he guarded Pettis and Quick since Amendola was out
Week 14: Brian Hartline - their #1 - not sure if he guarded anyone else

But against better teams at least on passing downs he is typically matched up against their best WR. Nelson, Johnson, Moore(Rogers would guard Colston in the slot), Stevie Johnson. etc

Based off that sample he is clearly our most versatile corner and I'm sure he could play slot corner but slot corners as mentioned above typically get a lot of safety help which Cully does not need so he stays outside against bigger, faster(not quicker) players.
Originally posted by Mercuryspeed:
Cully is coming on strong but Rogers is the best overall option they have in the slot. "Best at recognizing the play" "Best at studing his opponent " Best CB at tackling from the nickle" That slot requires help for zone sitting and self discipline to spy and cover at the same time. Although that would not stop me from putting in Parrish Cox to blitz and bat down balls and cove the flats.

I think this pretty much sums up why Los is in the slot. I heard Fangio in a press conference saying that the nickel back needs to be the smartest guy out there, so he can know where his help is going to be according to defensive play call and the O's formation. He also equated it to playing LB and DB at the same time, so its a very particular skill set needed to play.

Carlos seems to be our best bet for that position even though he does get burned every now and then. It's also worth noting that the nickel position is probably one of the hardest positions to play on defense and even the best corner is gonna get eaten up at some point.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I originally thought that Culliver was too tall to cover the slot but he and Rogers are both listed as 6'0 and close to the same weight. To cover that position you have to be able to scramble. There is no set throw inside 8-10 yards, the receiver feels the pressure and moves or jukes away from the coverage. If you try and stop him at the line and miss and the coverage is late there goes a big gainer. Culliver is very effective on the edge because he has this ability to use the sidelines as another defender. Do you want to experiment at this late stage with Culliver against the slot? Cox may be an alternative, but a better one is Pat and Bo, once the receiver makes the catch give one of them a clean shot and they will be hearing footsteps the entire game, you can also add Goldson, and Whitner and Brooks, man the whole defense is scary.

I agree with this.

Rogers is the most nimble and quick of the 3 CBs

I most certainly do NOT agree with this. Rogers plays like a 6' 4" CB. His balance and foot speed is pretty terrible when it comes to change of direction.

Ideally, I feel that the best NCB we have is Tarell Brown. He is the shorter, quicker type that most coaches desire in their NCB. He is shifty and bursts out of his backpedal or cuts better than any of our CBs. Brown also happens to be our best press CB, so he is pretty useful at RCB when not asked by Fangio to play 10 yards off.

Gonna be funny though not when we watch Welker in the slot vs Rogers.
dunno my guess is that Culliver can use the sidelines to his advantage...
Share 49ersWebzone