There are 242 users in the forums

Football Outsiders Breaks Down the 49ers-Rams Game in Detail

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I'm sorry to bring this up but just goes to show that Harbaugh can make bad decisions. I'm more worried about him switching offenses in week 12, then a play call that if properly executed by players could have worked. You call that play expecting your guys to execute them. Can't blame the coach for putting trust in the QB in critical times. That's my take.

No No No.

In that game situation, that play should never be called under any circumstance. Its so risky that you're almost better off punting on third down!

Hindsight is 20/20. If that play gains 8 yards it would have been just a footnote post game about how creative the call was. To say that "In that situation that play call should never be made" is not true. There are certainly circumstances were that call might have been appropriate. Just not in that situation and executed that poorly.

Horrible call. There is no justification for that call.

The only response I have to that is the same thing I already wrote lol sooooooo.....
Thats why i have been saying Harbaugh needs to take a more hands on approach to play calling instead of bickering with officials all game. I love his passion for the game, but its time to take a more hands on approach to his offense. This is not the first game of the Harbaugh/roman era where roman has made a questionable call and Harbaugh failed to veto it.

Roman has been the most brilliant OC in the NFL at times this year - observers of the NFL and fans of other teams have said so. "Perfectly-called run plays", for example. "More play call variety than anyone".
  • Jiks
Hindsight is 20/20. If that play gains 8 yards it would have been just a footnote post game about how creative the call was. To say that "In that situation that play call should never be made" is not true. There are certainly circumstances were that call might have been appropriate. Just not in that situation and executed that poorly.

No, its dumb. Its like passing when you're running out the clock.

Maybe they had too much confidence in the guy? Maybe they were expecting Walker to make a catch as well? Again execution. If the players would have executed, Akers as well we would have won. Players didn't execute, coaches gave them the shots to but they didn't.
Thats why i have been saying Harbaugh needs to take a more hands on approach to play calling instead of bickering with officials all game. I love his passion for the game, but its time to take a more hands on approach to his offense. This is not the first game of the Harbaugh/roman era where roman has made a questionable call and Harbaugh failed to veto it.

Roman has been the most brilliant OC in the NFL at times this year - observers of the NFL and fans of other teams have said so. "Perfectly-called run plays", for example. "More play call variety than anyone".

Agreed in the run game...but as to the pass game? Eh...not so much.
ESPN:

"San Francisco 49ers -- What is it with the St. Louis Rams? The 49ers are 0-1-1 against that mediocre franchise and 8-2 versus the rest of the league."

Wrong. The diverse run formations are a product of the play book. Not play calling. His actual game planning and play calling have been mediocre at time's. The diversity comes from being able to make adjustments at the line. I dont know if they are limiting Kaep in this regard, or if he is just not as efficient at finding the correct call at the LOS as Smith.

Just because he has the most diverse playbook in the NFL doesnt mean he is using it right.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Agreed in the run game...but as to the pass game? Eh...not so much.

Couldn't agree more. Roman clearly has a good understanding of how to coordinate the run game. His ability to get our passing offense operating at a high level has me concerned.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
ESPN:

"San Francisco 49ers -- What is it with the St. Louis Rams? The 49ers are 0-1-1 against that mediocre franchise and 8-2 versus the rest of the league."

they have a D-line that can match up with our o-line.

i love how at the end of the season, espn always talks about controlling the LOS like it's a brand new thing coaches came up with.
I'm sorry to bring this up but just goes to show that Harbaugh can make bad decisions. I'm more worried about him switching offenses in week 12, then a play call that if properly executed by players could have worked. You call that play expecting your guys to execute them. Can't blame the coach for putting trust in the QB in critical times. That's my take.

No No No.

In that game situation, that play should never be called under any circumstance. Its so risky that you're almost better off punting on third down!

Horrible call. There is no justification for that call.

The only response I have to that is the same thing I already wrote lol sooooooo.....

It doesnt make your response any more correct. Every fan, and nfl expert in the world watching that play had a collective cheek pucker at the time of that play. The second the motioned Ginn into the backfeild i knew it was going to be a stupid call. No excuse on that one. Even if it went for a lucky touchdown, i would be saying it was a questionable call, and that we were extremely lucky it worked. That play call, in that situation, is about as bad as they get.
  • Jiks

Wrong. The diverse run formations are a product of the play book. Not play calling. His actual game planning and play calling have been mediocre at time's. The diversity comes from being able to make adjustments at the line. I dont know if they are limiting Kaep in this regard, or if he is just not as efficient at finding the correct call at the LOS as Smith.

Just because he has the most diverse playbook in the NFL doesnt mean he is using it right.

Wasn't going to bring it up, but yeah I wonder this myself. How much of this offense is done through adjustments at the line? Many times we see these big runs or even big pass plays are due in part to a "kill, Kill" or "let it roll". I'm just really not sure if this is a big part of the offense or not. Should Kaep. be making more adjustments? Or like you say, is he not given the freedom too?

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
they have a D-line that can match up with our o-line.

i love how at the end of the season, espn always talks about controlling the LOS like it's a brand new thing coaches came up with.

Michael Brockers was a boom-bust prospect, and they hit a grand slam.

May end up being the 3rd best player in the 2012 draft.

Wasn't going to bring it up, but yeah I wonder this myself. How much of this offense is done through adjustments at the line? Many times we see these big runs or even big pass plays are due in part to a "kill, Kill" or "let it roll". I'm just really not sure if this is a big part of the offense or not. Should Kaep. be making more adjustments? Or like you say, is he not given the freedom too?

And these checks, are they from run to another run play or pass to another pass play or if the original play was a pass, he can switch it to a run and vice versa.

I ask b/c for the Rams game, it was beyond obvious the Rams would crowd the LOS and stack 8-9 guys in there (many run blitzing the A-gaps) yet no matter what CK called "kill" or "roll" we STILL just ran and ran right into a brick wall.

Does anyone know?
And these checks, are they from run to another run play or pass to another pass play or if the original play was a pass, he can switch it to a run and vice versa.

I ask b/c for the Rams game, it was beyond obvious the Rams would crowd the LOS and stack 8-9 guys in there (many run blitzing the A-gaps) yet no matter what CK called "kill" or "roll" we STILL just ran and ran right into a brick wall.

Does anyone know?

I don't know, I'm waiting for someone to analyze the run-blitzing that the Rams did.

But I am concerned that the loss of Kendall Hunter made the Rams cheat inside.

Im not sure which one it is.

I did notice in the bears game that gore was helping him make the correct adjustments at the LOS. Durring the saints, and rams games, i didnt notice this, and it semed like there were way less adjustments at the LOS.

I have a feeling its a little of both. They saw that he was having a bit of difficulty making the adjustments at the LOS, so they dialed the possible adjustments back the following two games to give Kaep less to worry about. They were probally trying to protect the young QB, which makes some sense, but in doing so im wondering how much the offense has been handicapped.

Does anyone know?

Both more than likely.

More than likely Roman makes a pair of calls. At the LOS the QB has a choice between those two calls weather two runs, a pass/run, or to passes.

But each of those calls have adjustments based on what the WR's, Olineman, and QB's see. So there is still even alot of variance between the two play calls. Routes based on coverage, blocking schemes based on Dline gap placement etc.
Share 49ersWebzone