There are 216 users in the forums

Which retired 49ers player do you wish was in his prime and playing on the team today?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Afrikan:

this should be everyone's answer!

this is all our team needs....we are loaded everywhere!

1st line of the original post:
Ok , besides the obvious , Jerry, Joe , Steve , Ronnie , Dwight , Roger ....which player would you throw on our current team , anybody , he could have played in the 50's , 60's , a former 49ers player in his prime that would make a BIG impact and make us even better NOW

I would say if you could pick anybody though 99/100 would take Joe with this team.

In that case Sanders and Jeff Garcia
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Charles Haley and Aldon Smith would make an awesome pass rushing tandem. Of course we probably need better QB play but we could not select Montana or Young.

Second choice would be Bryant Young and Justin Smith collapsing the pocket.
Originally posted by English:
Jeff Fuller. Jesse Sapolu. John Taylor. Tom Rathman. Ray Brown. Kevin Gogan.

Gogan and Brown were old by the time the 49ers signed them. Sapolu is one of the most overrated 49ers ever.
If we can't pick Joe or Steve then I have to go with John Brodie to put this team over the top.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Axl49:
Young. He would be a monster in todays game and the missing piece in our puzzle. Besides obvious Joe Montana Steve Young would be my pick. If they cant stop the overrated rookie RG3 imagine Young. Jerry would fail with Alex at QB.
if we would have had steve young, we never would have won at green bay. he never could. just can not pass up a chance to take a hit against smith. sad
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
If we can't pick Joe or Steve then I have to go with John Brodie to put this team over the top.

if you just want a game manager,, jim plunkett would do
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

That's probably who I'd choose as well.

Other possibilities at each position:

RB:

Garrison Hearst
Roger Craig
Wendell Tyler
Ricky Watters

WR:

Freddie Solomon
Gene Washington
John Taylor
Mike Sherrard

OG:

Guy McIntyre
Randy Cross

C:

Randy Cross
Jeremy Newberry

OT:

Keith Fahnhorst

DL:

Kevin f*gan
Michael Carter

OLB:

Keena Turner

CB:

Eric Wright
Don Griffin

SS:

Jeff Fuller
Carlton Williamson

Out of all of those, to help this team...I'm taking f*gan and shutting the opposing running game down completely. He was absolutely impossible to run on...the best point of attack run stuffer I've ever witnessed.
Jose Cortez

Akers just aint gettin it done

Originally posted by cciowa:
if we would have had steve young, we never would have won at green bay. he never could. just can not pass up a chance to take a hit against smith. sad

Oh, really?

Also, Steve Young never went 1 for 13 on 3rd down, with the only conversion coming at the end of regulation, against Green Bay.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I am not impressed with our current group of receivers. We don't have anyone who will hall a pass in and make you say "How did he catch that?" that being said I would like to run Freddie Solomon and Gene Washington through a time machine and get them back on the field.

Originally posted by BobS:
I am not impressed with our current group of receivers. We don't have anyone who will hall a pass in and make you say "How did he catch that?" that being said I would like to run Freddie Solomon and Gene Washington through a time machine and get them back on the field.

Let the man RIP. Why bring him back just to put him on a team that doesn't have a QB who can get him the football anyway.
  • fip24
  • Veteran
This team would win the Super Bowl with Jeff Garcia or Elvis Grbac.
Originally posted by fip24:
This team would win the Super Bowl with Jeff Garcia or Elvis Grbac.

Jeff Garcia isn't retired though, so we can definitely sign him
Bryant Young.

2nd choice would be John Taylor.
Joe, if not then Orenthal James Simpson
Share 49ersWebzone