LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 163 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by titan:
Nothing against James, but we need that roster spot to be a WR. I feel that the PR/KR should be a shifty/fast WR that can line up with our other WR in the same play. There's too many dead plays having all these RB on the sideline and not seeing enough plays and expecting them to come in cold for 1 or 2 plays and make a difference.

We've got dead plays with Greg Roman calling halfback option passes, tosses with slower running backs, and other play calls that just totally befuddle me. If he consistently called a good game plan, there would be many more plays out there for the backs and receivers.

A lot of this is still webzone speculation. For all we know Harbs is overriding plays or setting the game plan to focus on certain things. Regarding James, one possibility still exists that nobody mentions, Rathman may not want him carrying the ball. Our beloved RB coach may be the one not sending LMJ in when Gore takes himself out. Would anybody be pissed if we found out Rathman was keeping James out?

This is a very good point. As much as I want James to play, I would not have an issue if Rathman was vetoing LMJ receiving more carries.
Originally posted by VDSF:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Baalke blew it in 2012. He took 2 absolute WIMPS with the first two rounds in AJJ and LMJ. Why not go with size and strength?? I would trade this dude for any round pick. He don't fit in the NFL. I thought it may work as a change of pace but NOT at a 2nd round price. Baalke blew the 2012 Draft. Its as if he was asleep those 3 days right?

He passed up on Doug Martin, Alshon Jefferey and Janoris Jenkins

Yeah well so did every other GM in the NFL... I hate those kinds of statements.
Nothing against James, but we need that roster spot to be a WR. I feel that the PR/KR should be a shifty/fast WR that can line up with our other WR in the same play. There's too many dead plays having all these RB on the sideline and not seeing enough plays and expecting them to come in cold for 1 or 2 plays and make a difference.

We've got dead plays with Greg Roman calling halfback option passes, tosses with slower running backs, and other play calls that just totally befuddle me. If he consistently called a good game plan, there would be many more plays out there for the backs and receivers.

A lot of this is still webzone speculation. For all we know Harbs is overriding plays or setting the game plan to focus on certain things. Regarding James, one possibility still exists that nobody mentions, Rathman may not want him carrying the ball. Our beloved RB coach may be the one not sending LMJ in when Gore takes himself out. Would anybody be pissed if we found out Rathman was keeping James out?

This is a very good point. As much as I want James to play, I would not have an issue if Rathman was vetoing LMJ receiving more carries.

This could be true, but it doesn't have to be a simple matter of LMJ coming in to just to get a couple carries while he spells Gore...this is where a good OC can/should be creative in designing plays that put someone like LMJ in a situation to maximize his talent and possibly get a mismatch merely by formation. That said, LMJ has proven he can carry the ball, although his forte are runs to the edge and outside and not so much the tough sledding up the middle that Gore handles.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

This could be true, but it doesn't have to be a simple matter of LMJ coming in to just to get a couple carries while he spells Gore...this is where a good OC can/should be creative in designing plays that put someone like LMJ in a situation to maximize his talent and possibly get a mismatch merely by formation. That said, LMJ has proven he can carry the ball, although his forte are runs to the edge and outside and not so much the tough sledding up the middle that Gore handles.

I agree and this was my concern until the other poster brought up the point of perhaps someone else doesn't want James on the field. It could be lack of creativity. Or they could have tried some things that we would like to see in practice and maybe they didn't work out. I don't often read reports about practice, but of the little I do read, James's name never really comes up.
this is a great article on LMJ for everyone saying he can't get it done, he simply hasn't had the chance. I know we have a very good group of RBs and will be even better in 2014 with Lattimore making his debut, but we have got to find a role for this guy.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/James-Awaits-His-Chance-With-49ers-244268981.html

this to me lays everything out that needs to be said:

"Playing in just 10 games in 2013, James had only 12 regular-season carries for 59 yards and no touchdowns, but averaged 4.9 yards per carry. He did slip into a role as the 49ers' primary punt and kickoff returner when Kyle Williams and others didn't pan out, and played well. He returned 23 punts for 251 yards – a 10.9-yard average – and had a long return of 40 yards. On kickoffs, he had 12 returns for 321 yards – a 26.8 average. Had James qualified, he would have ranked fourth in the NFL in punt returns and fourth in kickoffs."
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
this is a great article on LMJ for everyone saying he can't get it done, he simply hasn't had the chance. I know we have a very good group of RBs and will be even better in 2014 with Lattimore making his debut, but we have got to find a role for this guy.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/James-Awaits-His-Chance-With-49ers-244268981.html

"Playing in just 10 games in 2013, James had only 12 regular-season carries for 59 yards and no touchdowns, but averaged 4.9 yards per carry. He did slip into a role as the 49ers' primary punt and kickoff returner when Kyle Williams and others didn't pan out, and played well. He returned 23 punts for 251 yards – a 10.9-yard average – and had a long return of 40 yards. On kickoffs, he had 12 returns for 321 yards – a 26.8 average. Had James qualified, he would have ranked fourth in the NFL in punt returns and fourth in kickoffs."

Which is better or maybe equal to what Ted Ginn with us and with Carolina this past year. lolz.

Another illustration of why the criticism of him as a player is off-base at best. Some people might not like how he complains/whines, and that's a valid reason to "dislike" him...but to blast him as some kind of talent-less bust--when he's rarely got a chance, and when he has he's done well--is complete nonsense.

What are these facts you speak of? Folks thought I was just too hopeful trying to vouch for that whiny, waste of a draft pick.
Good pick...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
draft day trade ?

James not living up to his college hype in the NFL lies mainly on the inability of Roman to use him in offensive schemes.
Can we trade Roman for a couple picks?
Originally posted by susweel:
draft day trade ?

this
Originally posted by Quest4six:
James not living up to his college hype in the NFL lies mainly on the inability of Roman to use him in offensive schemes.
Can we trade Roman for a couple picks?

I'm in! But sadly, we'd have to send over Harbaugh with him.
he needs to be on the field more next year ... I am totally against trading him, why Roman hasn't worked him into the playbook is beyond me? .,.yes he was injured and missed some time, but why haven't we used him as a slot receiver? , threw him in a 2 RB set with Gore or Hunter? .... we cant be shackling the playmakers we drafted to make this a potent offense, we need to find ways to get him on the field? ....the guy is a 2nd round pick, he needs some snaps to develop , because I have a feeling if we trade him , he will develop into a serviceable and dangerous weapon on offense for somebody else.

the same goes for Vance McDonald and Patton , there is no excuse for ignoring them next year, time to find the plays to get the best out of them next season
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Feb 20, 2014 at 12:22 PM ]
I saw this on his twitter today "If I say something about any1 my name will be attached to it I ain't never sneaked diss and not gone start today"
Paranoid a little and walking on eggs shells
Share 49ersWebzone