There are 223 users in the forums

If Kaepernick is going to be the long-term answer at QB anyway, why keep Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I am highly skeptical CK is the long-term answer for the team.

If Harbaugh can make Alex Smith look good, he most certainly can groom a better athlete in Colin Kaepernick.

jeez maybe niners should sign an olympic decathalon like bruce jenner or dan o'brien, imagine what he could do with those athletes, as everyone knows being a successful qb equates to how good an athlete they are

Can someone who says kaep isn't ready please follow that up with some sort of fact or at least an explanation to why you feel that way? Because it sure sounds a lot like baseless opinion at the moment.

Maybe Kaepernick will be the real deal and maybe he won't be but if he's ever gonna be a force at this level there's no reason to believe he absolutely needs to be on the bench for 3+ years to be successful.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Can someone who says kaep isn't ready please follow that up with some sort of fact or at least an explanation to why you feel that way? Because it sure sounds a lot like baseless opinion at the moment.

Maybe Kaepernick will be the real deal and maybe he won't be but if he's ever gonna be a force at this level there's no reason to believe he absolutely needs to be on the bench for 3+ years to be successful.

This is what gets me. SF reportedly doesn't want to sign a FA QB longer than 3 years so it is safe to say they think Kaep can be ready after 4 total years, maybe 3 but people say no to that. Not sure what they are basing their opinion from. Just about any drafted QB, with the required talent, could be ready in 3 years.

Just because it took Alex Smith much longer than normal doesn't mean it will take Kaep that long. Kaep coach didn't publicly acknowledge he has a slower than normal learning/applying curve like Alex's coach did.
hofer36, if those guys had a rocket arm, excellent field awareness, escability, great skills throwing on the run and the blessing of Jim Harbaugh then I'd be all for signing them up!
The niners do want AS back, but at the same time they are not panicking. CCA and AS may think they have the niners by the scrotum, but they are wisely looking at it as one good year does not a good QB make. If Smith and CCA truly believed AS is capsble they will take the 3 year with an agreement to extend along with escalators in the contract for performance. The niners meanwhile feel comfortable with Kaep and Tolzien and know there will be growing pains. Manning would only upset the equalibreum of the roster.

We will never know what kind of metal the young guns are until they are thrown into the fire at some point. Aluminum or steel. Plus JH is the only one that knows what is going on and what hi strategy truly is. Everything else about CK, Tolz and AS are just speculation.
In my Bridget nielson voice off of Rocky IV" you think Alex is so very very good and that Kaep is so very bad."
Originally posted by Joecool:

This is what gets me. SF reportedly doesn't want to sign a FA QB longer than 3 years so it is safe to say they think Kaep can be ready after 4 total years, maybe 3 but people say no to that. Not sure what they are basing their opinion from. Just about any drafted QB, with the required talent, could be ready in 3 years.

Just because it took Alex Smith much longer than normal doesn't mean it will take Kaep that long. Kaep coach didn't publicly acknowledge he has a slower than normal learning/applying curve like Alex's coach did.

You can't even compare Smith and Kaep's situation. The 49ers organization of 2011 is much different from the one that Smith came into in 2005. The players and coaches are much, much better and the ownership actually appears to know what it is doing.

Also, taking cheap shots at Smith's learning ability is a bit much. Smith has had to learn how many offenses over his career? 4 or 5? How many WRs? I'm not giving Smith a pass. There are some things that happened over the last 7 years that were his fault but let's not neglect to tell the story of the sad state of the 9ers just a few years ago.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Yeah, he has to get rid of that terrible delivery.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

If Alex didn't get the entire playbook down last year and probably wont have it all down 100% this year why rush Kap? Its still a learning process and we are still building the OL and WR corps. why force him in. I would rather have set pieces in place, and know that Kap is fully comfortable with the enitre system before we throw him to the wolves. This isn't a Newton/Panthers situation where we can sit around and be happy with winning sometimes, we are looking for Superbowls now!!

I am curious to see how the QB challenge between Kap and Tolzien plays out for no. 2 o the depth chart.

Based on what I have seen so far between these 2 in last seasons pre-season, I would feel better about Tolzien coming in off the bench to run the offense.. At this point.

Its going to be an interesting offseason.

based on what he did last preseason against 3rd strings no way

reasses this preseason though
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Listen to the commentatory in the background inbetween 35 and 50 second mark.....
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yeah, he has to get rid of that terrible delivery.

Everyone says this but when he was drafted I believe he was quoted saying that the coaches told him his delivery was fine and that they didn't want to change it. I believe Harbaugh and even the Matts said during training camp that the ball shoots out of there. Why are people hung up on this? Did he look bad in preseason because of his delivery?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Not saying Kaep couldn't do it after 1 or 2 years, but Aaron Rodgers was given three years on the bench. Not saying he couldn't have succeeded before then, but the results are pretty clear. Maybe there will be a more dire situation when Kaep has to be thrust into a starting role in the future, but until it's necessary, why not let him learn and keep him fresh?
Share 49ersWebzone